Gain this week...

Options
Lost 2st easily on SW (amount I wanted to lose) in summer 2017. Been pretty much maintaining since then. Had surgery end of Dec 18 and out of action for a few months so gained. Only lost 0.5lb on SW since Jan. Maintaining every week. Started this in earnest 10 days ago. Weighed in last week lost 1 5lb... yay lol. Female 62, very active job so calorie daily limit is usually 2,000. This week ate just under the 10,150 calories for the week (based on 1,450 per day). Exercise deficit calories are sitting at almost 5,800 for the week. Started HiiT sessions again every other day and also C25K every other day this week. Weighed today and 2lb gain 🤨. Any insight would really be appreciated...thanks guys 😀.

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Holding water from exercise?
  • msindie20
    msindie20 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No idea swim777 :o . Is this a 'thing' lol?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Yup, that is a thing, water retention for muscle repair etc.

Don’t fret, it’s water retention.

Do eat back your exercise calories, or at least a consistent percentage of them. Adjust as needed, over a 3-4 week period, so you have a reasonable accuracy of your calorie burn. That way if you change your routine, or take a break for vacations or injury, you know how much to adjust your calories by.

I would also, as a woman over 60 myself, encourage you to make sure you get plenty of protein (0.8-1g per lbs of lbm) to help with muscle and bone retention.

When you move more you need to fuel that movement. Injury and/or burn out can happen if you don’t and that can be really off putting.

Cheers, h.
  • msindie20
    msindie20 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Middlehaitch
    Thanks so much for your informative reply 😀.
    So, if I burn 1500 exercise cals in a day, I have to reduce some of those with more food? Not sure I can fit any more food in lol.
    I drink lots of water anyway but upped it when exercising. Never been a tea/coffee/milk gal and rarely drink pop. I've always been slim until just after menopause and then a stone arrived from nowhere lol so have never counted calories, so it's all gobbeldy gook to me right now lol. 😂