HIIT vs WEIGHTS for fat loss - pls share your thoughts and experience

Options
What do you prefer? Or do you do both? If so, how many days of hiit and how many days of weights?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I've done both and separately in a deficit. I did HIIT (not sure if it was true HIIT or very very high intensity, either way) maybe 3x per week which resulted in pretty decent results visually, I felt very in shape though. Wasn't as enjoyable or sustainable for me.

I've done weights alone in a deficit, 3-4x per week. Minimal cardio. Very good visual results and not too difficult.

I've also done both, weights 3-4x per week, HIIT once a week, very short sessions. I also incorporated lower intensity cardio and yoga. This offered best results for me. I find I can't do too many HIIT sessions and perform my lifting sessions as well, for me lifting is #1 so I prioritize that.

I would do what you enjoy. It also really depends on your goals. I would say weights is the most optimal for muscle retention and strength if that is something you want, but you can definitely incorporate both provided you don't overdo either and plan for recovery. HIIT can be very taxing on the body so if you are going to do it I wouldn't do it around the same time as a heavy lifting session.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    3 times a week Weight Training
    3 times a week HIIT, opposite days
    I feel as though I am making tremendous progress doing both.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm a weights and LISS person, I can not stand HITT workouts.

I'd take an hour walk with podcasts over HITT any day.

Calorie deficit for fat loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Neither will help much for weight loss because neither burns many calories, and they both require too much recovery.

I lift weights for health and to look better naked.

I basically never do HIIT because I don't race, so I don't have any A races to get ready for. There's no point don't HIIT just to fatigue my CNS and dig myself into a pit.

This^^^

And if you're looking for calorie burn OP, LISS is going to provide more than a HIIT session. I'm going to burn more calories on a 1-2 hour bike ride than I am a 20 minute HIIT session on my indoor bike trainer.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have finally returned to strength training as the majority of my work outs (with some steady state cardio and, typically, a small HIIT routine prior to lifting).

I took a break from strength training and focused on HIIT. This was cool, because, after a long winter, I could return to running with no issues. However, I lost a TON of strength. Some of my lifts are, at present, fairly embarassing.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've seen more positive results (for me, I'm just trying to improve aesthetically) in a shorter period of time with weight lifting than I ever saw with HIIT. As previously stated, I still do some HIIT, usually before I lift and not for an excessive period of time.

Short answer: lift weights. That's my opinion. I also appreciate variety, so I could never only lift.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Neither will help much for weight loss because neither burns many calories, and they both require too much recovery.

I basically never do HIIT because I don't race, so I don't have any A races to get ready for. There's no point don't HIIT just to fatigue my CNS and dig myself into a pit.

This^^^

And if you're looking for calorie burn OP, LISS is going to provide more than a HIIT session. I'm going to burn more calories on a 1-2 hour bike ride than I am a 20 minute HIIT session on my indoor bike trainer.

I always forget that I have such a narrow definition of HIIT. I do a lot of stuff with FitnessBlender (I'm sure that's like the amateur / idiot's way to get fit, so I'm braced for critique), because it's never not hard enough. I can always push harder, do more active stuff on the "rest" periods, do multiple videos, etc. I should say that, for the most part, that version of HIIT is bodyweight strengh done rapidly (burpees, push-ups, squats / jump squats) with some mostly cardio exercises thrown in there (jumping jacks, split jumps, lateral jumps... a lot of jumps).

I have no idea, but I imagine I get a better work out doing that stuff than I would on a bike for 20 minutes... but I don't find bikes to be ultra-challenging... which means I probably need to up the resistance.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have finally returned to strength training as the majority of my work outs (with some steady state cardio and, typically, a small HIIT routine prior to lifting).

If what you're doing is stressful enough to be HIIT, then this seems like a sure way to compromise your form when you lift.

I'm not saying this because the internet is made of auto-argue. I hurt my back last spring lifting, I was very lucky that it was muscle strain and not anything permanent. But I lost a few months of training. I've known people who injured their backs lifting (and other ways), sometimes severely, sometimes in ways that will affect them the rest of their lives. Certain lifts frighten me, I still do them, but I treat it with a lot of respect, like a sailor on rough seas.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I imagine I get a better work out doing that stuff than I would on a bike for 20 minutes... but I don't find bikes to be ultra-challenging... which means I probably need to up the resistance.

As a cyclist, my version of HIIT is basically the Tabata protocol. I titrate my effort with a power meter because HR responds too slowly.

A 20 minute MMP test wrecks me like no HIIT ever does. Those 20 minutes are in the middle of a longer ride, I have to get somewhere I can drop the hammer for 20 minutes, and then I have to limp home. These are absolutely brutal. When I used to do HIIT, I'd average 600 watts for 30 seconds and then rest. To average 300 watts for 20 minutes, that's 1,200 seconds at full gas with no rest, at about 17:30 I'm thinking how I could just die right now, and then I wouldn't have to finish. For realz.

There's no single definition of "a better workout" because everybody is different and has different goals. If you're preparing for a race, then recovering quickly from effort, again and again, is hugely valuable and HIIT is a good way to achieve that temporarily. I'm a natural sprinter, I get the most benefit training for endurance. If there was one bona fide best way, everyone would be doing it. :smile:
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

If what you're doing is stressful enough to be HIIT, then this seems like a sure way to compromise your form when you lift.

I'm not saying this because the internet is made of auto-argue. I hurt my back last spring lifting, I was very lucky that it was muscle strain and not anything permanent. But I lost a few months of training. I've known people who injured their backs lifting (and other ways), sometimes severely, sometimes in ways that will affect them the rest of their lives. Certain lifts frighten me, I still do them, but I treat it with a lot of respect, like a sailor on rough seas.

I suppose I should say they're rough enough on me in the cardiovascular department, not in the strength department. While I get a bit fatigued, those HIIT routines tend to be pretty leg-heavy; I'll do them on days that focus more on upper body. With leg day, I'd rather go on a run (before or after) and treat it like a warm-up or cool-down.

I was training my squat in-particular year ago, and finally reached that next bump up on the weights. Leaned forward for like a split-second and wound up walking with a cane for two weeks. If the rack didn't have those arms to catch the bar...

...so, yeah, agreed on the not overtraining or ruining form. I'm old enough to realize the total value in that.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If it matches your personality, dumbbell or kettlebell complexes can give you the best of both worlds if designed correctly, a strength endurance workout. Obviously, you've got to have sufficient inventory of different loads for best results. Barbell complexes too, tough stuff.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This^^^

I always forget that I have such a narrow definition of HIIT. I do a lot of stuff with FitnessBlender (I'm sure that's like the amateur / idiot's way to get fit, so I'm braced for critique), because it's never not hard enough. I can always push harder, do more active stuff on the "rest" periods, do multiple videos, etc. I should say that, for the most part, that version of HIIT is bodyweight strengh done rapidly (burpees, push-ups, squats / jump squats) with some mostly cardio exercises thrown in there (jumping jacks, split jumps, lateral jumps... a lot of jumps).

Those workouts are not HIIT. They are circuit training.