When did you stop seeing fast food as an option?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Relying on fast food for lunches or when I don’t want to cook or when I’m tired and want a motivation to get out of the house on time is one of my absolute worst habits for both my wallet and my weight/health. I didn’t always see it as an option. I used to never spend money on food when I was young, and it just never occurred to me to go into these places. University changed that and I’m finding it harder to go back to “boring” home foods like sandwiches from the freezer or spice-less curry lentils (the grocery store curry powder is just such a sad bland spice). I’m no cook and a “simple” meal can often mean hours of work because I make mistakes and can’t seem to do 2 things at once (like stir and chop). It makes me feel dumb, then I avoid it. Which is even more dumb.

I really want to cook vegan or vegetarian meals (mainly because my access to refrigeration during the day is inconsistent and I want to avoid poisoning myself - but also ethical reasons). But everything seems so complicated! I don’t even know where to buy setein (spelling?) let alone cook it.

But I’m living on ~$12,000/year trying to make my income go to school to reduce debt (also living at home). I can’t keep overspending on eating out, but buying strange ingredients I don’t know how to use is also intimidating.

I can make 3 meals: (bland) curry lentils & uncle Ben rice, white beans & quinoa, and a black bean and quinoa soup. The spices I use are: garlic, chipotle peppers, and (bland grocery store) curry powder. The cookbooks I have are confusing and require so many ingredients I can’t find. I also need to be able to freeze whatever I make for a week+ of use (I can really Only cook once a week because it takes like 4h for me to do simple things). But I am so sick of these 3 recipes!

Help??? 😞

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Pintrest can give you lots of recipes. You tube can be alife saver as well- take the time to explore and see what your tastes are- You can do it!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i mean...i guess i find plain things yummy? my palate is pretty simple.

I cook up a bunch of protein like chicken breast. seperate into portions and freeze many for ready to go meals.

i eat tons of vegetables, mostly raw but also a cole slaw salad which is a bag of broccoli slaw and salad dressing. makes 4-5 portions per bag. I use frozen veggies a lot (green beans, brocoli). Lots of frozen cauli flower rice with slice of laughing cow cheese.

lunch is boiled eggs i can do in one big batch. vegetables again. more laughing cow cheese. and home made protein bar (you can buy some too).

breakfast i make a bit batch of steel cut oats. add frozen rasepberries, spices and sometimes cocoa nibs. there are tons of fancy recipies and you can add pb and stuff but i'm a simple eater.

curry is super easy. just increase spices (i double the curry in this one here)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=easy+curry+detoxinista&rlz=1C1GCEA_enCA821CA821&oq=easy+curry+detoxinista&aqs=chrome..69i57.2758j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

chili's are easy big batch food too.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe that is essentially chopped veggies and potatoes boiled in a couple cans of beans.

It's a little bland so I use salt, pepper, maple flavored beans and a dash of BBQ sauce. Makes a ton of food and can be frozen.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Can you bake a potato, make an omelette or scrambled eggs?

I don't know what seitan is, so can't help there, but find tofu easy. I buy it in blocks (it's widely available in the supermarket in the uk) chop into chunks and stir fry it, or use it to make kebabs.

There are lots of soups to make.

I can cook but am lazy, will often make at least 2 portions. Or make very simple dinners, tonight was just beans on toast!
    Could you split up the prep, do some shopping beforehand, or buy ready chopped veg if that is what is slowing you down?
    It will get easier if you stick with it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I have a couple healthy choices at semi fast food places such as Dos Coyotes Yucatan salad and the margarita pizza at Pizza Rev. I'm guessing you dont have those places in Quebec. Checking calories online helps. Some easy things I do are sheet pan meals. Roasting veggies is easy. An Instant Pot is great for soups, stews, dry legumes, and yogurt. I Google recipes and choose ones I have the ingredients for on hand. Another idea is to grow fresh herbs to add to food. I make a big salad for lunch each day with lots of veggies and herbs, then mix up the protein. This wouldn't take too long to prep the night before.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I feel like anyone who can both stir and chop consistently and accurately is not human.

Anyway, I don't have an answer to your original question. My wife is (more or less) vegetarian and abhors fast food of most varieties, so it just became habit for me. Although, it is with me now. I truly can't handle anything from a traditional fast food spot, unless it's Carl's, Jr. Even then, I recognize that the food is bland, loaded with excessive amounts of fat and sugar, etc.

I'd focus on easy meals you can make. I mean, anyone can own a crockpot, throw in some chicken breast and salsa, and have something to throw on tortillas or in a pan with eggs. Similarly, one could throw in pork and bbq sauce and have something to throw on a bun. Pile that stuff up, and you have a pretty protein-packed meal.

I'd focus on eggs, especially if you want to learn to cook at all. Eggs are like the total package for me; they are cheap, tasty, customizable, abundant, full of vitamins as well as protein and fat, and they helped me learn how to cook.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Quebec? Try buying spices from a specialty spice dealer. With so many people from all over the world in Canada, you've got to have access to something better than "sad bland spice". Fire your grocer.

Keep trying to learn to cook. Every mistake is a lesson to be learned.

This.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    For the times where I am in a pinch, I have found that grocery store food (especially frozen food if I have a microwave available) is way easier with more options available and less talking needed. When I realized that, the propensity to seek out fast food kind of fell away. #introvert

Because it's grocery store food, it's way easier to track because of nutrition labels and generally lower calorie since I know what my favorites are. It's also generally cheaper for what you get.

Honestly, though, I was never a big fast food person except during the times I was binge eating, so I think I have kind of an aversion to them anyway. I'll probably never be able to get Culver's on my own again, lol?
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I’ve been rethinking my food and I just can’t justify the calories in bought fast food. A lot of it is junk food but there is also healthy fast food. I’m struggling with not being able to weigh food so it’s rare I eat anything prepared by anyone else. So there I am, now having to cook mainly from scratch as I can read how much sodium & sugar is in a jar of sauce.

As kimny72 said, a smart google search can throw lots of ideas your way. And slow cookers are amazing. I use BBC Good Food a fair bit as they have nice easy recipes. Try https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/easy-vegan for some ideas.

Good luck and don’t be so hard on yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten a ton of fast food, but I used to eat Taco Bell almost everyday for lunch. I lost a good 20 Lbs before MFP just cutting out sodas but was still eating my Taco Bell and having pizza a couple nights per week.

I became more interested in nutrition when I started MFP after stalling on my weight loss. Once I started logging I could see that the calories I was spending on Taco Bell and pizza were putting me over and that I could actually eat more food for less calories if I did things differently.

As cooking goes, I am of the opinion that if you can read, you can cook. Beyond that, there are a lot of things that don't really require some kind of recipe...certainly not a complicated one. Most of our dinners are some kind of protein seasoned or marinated and thrown on the grill with a veg side and possibly a grain or starch depending. A lot of times I'll make extra chicken or whatever and keep that to throw on a big salad for lunch or I make a simple sandwich.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    For the times where I am in a pinch, I have found that grocery store food (especially frozen food if I have a microwave available) is way easier with more options available and less talking needed. When I realized that, the propensity to seek out fast food kind of fell away. #introvert

Because it's grocery store food, it's way easier to track because of nutrition labels and generally lower calorie since I know what my favorites are. It's also generally cheaper for what you get.

Honestly, though, I was never a big fast food person except during the times I was binge eating, so I think I have kind of an aversion to them anyway. I'll probably never be able to get Culver's on my own again, lol?

Culvers is the BEST! I get their grilled chicken sandwhich whenever I go. Only 390 calories so I get to eat something delicious and not ruin my day over it. Their food is so good.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a cooking book aimed at kids/new cooks - recipes will be simple, techniques will be explained better. It sounds like the recipes you are trying to follow are overly complicated, and assume pre-existing skills.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I’m a pretty good cook, I just loathe every second that I spend doing it. I’ve been using a meal service lately, but if I don’t get that ordered in time, I go for pre-cooked protein from the freezer section (usually chicken or Boca-type thing) and bags of frozen vegetables. Zap both, dump in bowl, douse in hot sauce and eat. Sometimes I add frozen rice as well. I like getting the vegetables that have sauce on them too, since that will spread to the meat and rice. It all reheats easily if I take it to work for lunch.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try some Cajun seasoning or Zatar (middle eastern). Also, there are pastes like gochujang (Korean) that add loads of flavor. Lactantia also has a garlic herb butter stick which adds flavor to whatever you’re cooking. I’m also a student and use these things because they’re one ingredient. I don’t use recipes to cook because I can’t deal with the long ingredients too. Just buy some tofu, broth, rice, veg and plop in some gochujang or miso and bam you have a vegetarian stew. Or make some fried rice with eggs and veg and bam quick vegetarian meal. All you need are basic ingredients and some soy sauce. Make some rice and beans (canned or dry but cooked) and add plenty of salt,garlic, cayenne and onion and such. Curry is not boring! At least it shouldn’t be. Food doesn’t have to be bland. You could also buy a jar of pesto for some pasta. Those are all some “semi homemade” ideas for you that need like one or two seasonings. You’ll get the hang of it. You just need a couple seasonings you can alternate. Good luck
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Relying on fast food for lunches or when I don’t want to cook or when I’m tired and want a motivation to get out of the house on time is one of my absolute worst habits for both my wallet and my weight/health. I didn’t always see it as an option. I used to never spend money on food when I was young, and it just never occurred to me to go into these places. University changed that and I’m finding it harder to go back to “boring” home foods like sandwiches from the freezer or spice-less curry lentils (the grocery store curry powder is just such a sad bland spice). I’m no cook and a “simple” meal can often mean hours of work because I make mistakes and can’t seem to do 2 things at once (like stir and chop). It makes me feel dumb, then I avoid it. Which is even more dumb.

I really want to cook vegan or vegetarian meals (mainly because my access to refrigeration during the day is inconsistent and I want to avoid poisoning myself - but also ethical reasons). But everything seems so complicated! I don’t even know where to buy setein (spelling?) let alone cook it.

But I’m living on ~$12,000/year trying to make my income go to school to reduce debt (also living at home). I can’t keep overspending on eating out, but buying strange ingredients I don’t know how to use is also intimidating.

I can make 3 meals: (bland) curry lentils & uncle Ben rice, white beans & quinoa, and a black bean and quinoa soup. The spices I use are: garlic, chipotle peppers, and (bland grocery store) curry powder. The cookbooks I have are confusing and require so many ingredients I can’t find. I also need to be able to freeze whatever I make for a week+ of use (I can really Only cook once a week because it takes like 4h for me to do simple things). But I am so sick of these 3 recipes!

Help??? 😞

If you want to DM me your address I'll mail you my "Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites". I never fell in love with it, stuck with the original high fat classic vegetarian cookbook. Low Fat Favorites could use a good home. You could also check your library for this or other veg* cookbooks. I like the Kripalu Cookbook but know it has tons of ingredients that I doubt you would have on hand.

I was glancing through the Moosewood to see how complicated the recipes are or how exotic the ingredients are. Am seeing a lot of different fresh herbs. This is a pain, which I manage by having a garden. If not, I'd consolidate.
    • Parsley lasts a long time in the frig if put in a jar with some water. Before I developed a taste for cilantro I subbed parsley for it.
    • If you like basil, sub it for other herbs - tarragon, thyme, oregano, etc.
    • There's a recipe that calls for dill and mint. Sure, both will be more complex, but fine to do one or the other.
    • I no longer buy shallots - they are too hard to peel and expensive. I use regular onions.
    • I grow scallions (and chives) but in the winter often don't feel like buying a sad bunch of scallions so sub regular onions.
    • There is no substitute for fresh ginger. This can be frozen. Oh, and don't bother peeling it.

IF your store has seitan, it should be with the tofu. Whole Foods definitely carries it, and I imagine Trader Joe's does as well.