Sugar addict seeking help.

L0V3G00D
L0V3G00D Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2019 in Challenges
Does anyone have a desk job and suffer from boredom snacking? Do you have any advice or tips on how to control cravings?

I work at a desk job 8 hours a day and I sometimes catch myself snacking due to boredom. I've tried stretching and walking but can't do that often since I have to be at my desk. I've tried drinking water and snacking on fruits and veggies but that doesn't always help with the cravings. I have a major sweet tooth and I'm trying very hard to stay in my daily sugar intake of 45g but its sooo hard when EVERYTHING has sugar!! ugh!!

Replies

• whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    My cravings disappear when I drank a propper amount of water *way* before the craving started. It doesn't help me to drink a glass when I already want the sweet. Too late then :#
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    I make sure I have snacks nuts, seeds, fruit & veg, but agree with @whitej1234 drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps most of the time too.
  • L0V3G00D
    edited May 2019
    Thank you, I will try to drink more water before the cravings begin. :)
  • VeggiGirl75
    VeggiGirl75 Posts: 12 Member
    I have noticed since taking a multi vitamin including magnesium my chocolate cravings have gone down a lot . I looked up magnesium deficiency and I had a lot of the symptoms though.
  • L0V3G00D
    Thank you VeggiGirl75. I will look into that.
  • kwalt434
    kwalt434 Posts: 8 Member
    I know @whitej1234 already said drink water, but I'll just add that I find it helpful to drink ice cold water. Something about it being really cold makes it more satisfying.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Honestly, I have to continually tell myself, MAN AN APPLE SOUNDS GOOD or similar and if I truly am hungry/snacky enough, it'll start to appeal.

There's no substitution for sugary stuff for me, I just have to actively kinda re-train my brain to get used to healthier things. The way my brain works, there's no compromise for me with a small piece of cake or a 1/2 a candy bar instead of a whole one. When I find myself falling down that sweets-craving rabbit hole I just keep telling myself how good that slice of cheese or banana or something is gonna taste later.

I don't know if that makes sense and I'm sorry I'm not more help.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Right with you except sugar-wish is triggered by "MAN I AM STRESSED" or "I DON'T WANNA BE HERE ANYMORE HELP!", rather than boredom.

Sometimes herb tea. Or I walk around a little, quick break helps a lot. I just try not to walk near the leftover sweets or the deli :grimace:
  • Dorchi22
    Dorchi22 Posts: 57 Member
    I'm on a 28/90 day no sugar challenge, and what keeps me going is seeing how better my clothes fit me. It becomes easier to say no to people who offer sweets, and sweets in general.

Another thing that helps me when I have the craving is asking myself: is my will power really that weak that I can't turn away from the fridge? The answer is obviously 'no', especially because I have an ultimate goal in mind.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Halo top
  • swiftgirlm
    swiftgirlm Posts: 17 Member
    I've always had trouble with sugar cravings too. (It doesn't help when coworkers have treats around!) I started logging/losing again a month ago and one thing I decided this time around is that I will not even allow myself one sweet. For me, it always leads to more and soon I find I am binging. I define a sweet as a candy, chocolate, ice cream, cake, cookie or dessert. I have satisfied my sweet tooth with fruit and yogurt instead and make them part of my day so I don't feel deprived. I'm surprised at how my cravings have eased up in the past month - even through hormonal times!