How many more calories

Options
2»

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I forget about the little activities of summer that don’t seem that significant or strenuous (mowing the lawn, tending the garden) that start up around now and generally prompt some summer weight loss. That might not apply to you in your location, though!

That's actually funny because we just had a two day snow storm this week. I think I heard it broke some 20 year record. 🙂
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So I'm 20 pounds from goal weight. I believe I need to eat more for 2 reasons. The first is that I've started losing weight at a more rapid pace and the second is because I'm closer to goal.

SW 222
    CW 176
    GW 155
    Height 5'7"

I aim for 1,500 calories per day but have averaged 1,600 - 1700 since February. In March I lost 1 lb/week, then April I lost 1.3lbs/week and now in May 1.8 lbs/week. I weight most foods and log everything.

My exercise routine has remained about the same. I've been using the same calorie calculator during this time. I eat all my exercise calories.

I feel at this point that I should be losing at 1 lb/week until I have 10 pounds to go then lose at .5 per week. I think I should probably up my calories to 1,750 and then wait a couple of weeks to reassess. Any comments on how many calories to add?

Honestly I'm pretty perplexed on why I'm losing faster. Calorie input and output (exercise) hasn't changed. Although I do have a lot of energy and stay pretty active and am somewhat more active than a few months ago. I just can't imagine that it's enough to make a difference in this many calories per day.

Anyways, comments and wisdom appreciated. 🙂

The difference between the first two months and May's numbers is about 400 calories a day that you would either be over logging or burning now. If there has been a significant change in your life that you believe has upped your daily activity you should increase your calories if not I wouldn't make any decisions based on May's numbers because that is not enough data. There is no reason you should not up it to 1750 but you could also stay the course for a little longer and make a more accurate adjustment.

I do a fair amount of number crunching on myself each Friday and I have seen some 3 week spans of time that the numbers would make me believe a lot of things that were not true. Since I have tracked for so long though I know how to see those outliers in context.

I really considered this actually and agree that three weeks isn't necessarily enough time to determine a change should be made. But then I thought that because I lost more in April than March and then more in May than April there might be an uptick in activity. Then again I wouldn't think it was 400 calories different. Regardless, I should raise calories due to being closer to goal. So I'm going with 1,800, which is about 150 more per day, for the next month and then I'll reassess.

Sounds like a very reasonable approach to me. It is very wise to be cautious about losing too fast but as long as you don't feel weak there is little harm that can happen in a short amount of time unless you are being reckless.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. I think if you are losing faster/more easily, part of it is because you are more active, apart from intentional exercise. Part of it may also be because your muscle to fat ratio has changed so much. It takes more calories to maintain muscle. Rejoice! Celebrate! And raise your daily calories a little.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    So I'm 20 pounds from goal weight. I believe I need to eat more for 2 reasons. The first is that I've started losing weight at a more rapid pace and the second is because I'm closer to goal.

SW 222
    CW 176
    GW 155
    Height 5'7"

I aim for 1,500 calories per day but have averaged 1,600 - 1700 since February. In March I lost 1 lb/week, then April I lost 1.3lbs/week and now in May 1.8 lbs/week. I weight most foods and log everything.

My exercise routine has remained about the same. I've been using the same calorie calculator during this time. I eat all my exercise calories.

I feel at this point that I should be losing at 1 lb/week until I have 10 pounds to go then lose at .5 per week. I think I should probably up my calories to 1,750 and then wait a couple of weeks to reassess. Any comments on how many calories to add?

Honestly I'm pretty perplexed on why I'm losing faster. Calorie input and output (exercise) hasn't changed. Although I do have a lot of energy and stay pretty active and am somewhat more active than a few months ago. I just can't imagine that it's enough to make a difference in this many calories per day.

Anyways, comments and wisdom appreciated. 🙂

The difference between the first two months and May's numbers is about 400 calories a day that you would either be over logging or burning now. If there has been a significant change in your life that you believe has upped your daily activity you should increase your calories if not I wouldn't make any decisions based on May's numbers because that is not enough data. There is no reason you should not up it to 1750 but you could also stay the course for a little longer and make a more accurate adjustment.

I do a fair amount of number crunching on myself each Friday and I have seen some 3 week spans of time that the numbers would make me believe a lot of things that were not true. Since I have tracked for so long though I know how to see those outliers in context.

I really considered this actually and agree that three weeks isn't necessarily enough time to determine a change should be made. But then I thought that because I lost more in April than March and then more in May than April there might be an uptick in activity. Then again I wouldn't think it was 400 calories different. Regardless, I should raise calories due to being closer to goal. So I'm going with 1,800, which is about 150 more per day, for the next month and then I'll reassess.

Sounds like a very reasonable approach to me. It is very wise to be cautious about losing too fast but as long as you don't feel weak there is little harm that can happen in a short amount of time unless you are being reckless.

At this point in my 5 year MFP journey (yeah I know some of you hate this word), it is much more important to me to fuel my activity than it is to lose weight quickly. I'd much rather eat as much as possible and be energized.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. I think if you are losing faster/more easily, part of it is because you are more active, apart from intentional exercise. Part of it may also be because your muscle to fat ratio has changed so much. It takes more calories to maintain muscle. Rejoice! Celebrate! And raise your daily calories a little.

While I hope that I've added a bit of muscle, it probably isn't that much. And without looking it up, I think a pound of muscle burns a few more calories per day than a pound of fat. So the difference isn't much. Maybe one of our wise friends here can give the proper info on how much more muscle burns than fat.
  • HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I’m all about raising calories. As a moderately active petite female 5’2 110-115 lbs, I maintain on about 2200-2500 and lose quickly on 2000. I spent years trying to eat 1500-1600 to lose the last couple lbs and would get so frustrated by I ended up binging. Gotta keep that metabolism going.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Wouldn't a person actually need a Dexa scan to get an accurate body fat percentage? My understanding is that scales that measure body fat can be very inaccurate.

To be near 100% accurate, yes. To get a rough estimate, no. Which is more rough of an estimate, btw, a scale that you step on and spits out numbers, or a chart you look at on the internet that asks your height and weight?

People seem to be locking onto the "all athletes" portion of what I said instead of the point behind it. Too much hyperbole. Point is why would you use a system as your basis that has such an inherent flaw like "increased muscle mass= higher bmi and high bmi= bad" Since when is increasing muscle mass bad? Maybe we just have different opinions on what health and fitness are.

I admitted I spoke poorly earlier in the thread, and stated that BMI works just fine for many (majority of) people. "I" believe that it is a silly system to base your perception of your fitness off of a system where muscle is bad. Especially when there are other pretty simple options.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

While I hope that I've added a bit of muscle, it probably isn't that much. And without looking it up, I think a pound of muscle burns a few more calories per day than a pound of fat. So the difference isn't much. Maybe one of our wise friends here can give the proper info on how much more muscle burns than fat.

It's roughly 2cals for fat and 6cals for muscle per pound per day at rest.

Just trading a few pounds of fat for muscle is insignificant (in calorie terms, not health terms) but I think @corinasue1143 made a good point about the impact of everyday activity and exercise. Certainly my own experience was that as I got lighter and fitter I simply moved more day to day (walked more, cycled more, used public transport and cars less) and my exercise intensity went up and up (c. 25% higher calorie burns for the same duration).

An interesting social observation happened when I worked in an office with truly awful slow and unreliable elevators/lifts a relatively short distance from the main company offices. The lighter and fitter colleagues all simply used the 8 flights of stairs to get to and from our office floor and walked between sites - the heavier and less fit ones stood and waited for the lifts and took the Underground one stop between sites.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Wouldn't a person actually need a Dexa scan to get an accurate body fat percentage? My understanding is that scales that measure body fat can be very inaccurate.

To be near 100% accurate, yes. To get a rough estimate, no. Which is more rough of an estimate, btw, a scale that you step on and spits out numbers, or a chart you look at on the internet that asks your height and weight?

People seem to be locking onto the "all athletes" portion of what I said instead of the point behind it. Too much hyperbole. Point is why would you use a system as your basis that has such an inherent flaw like "increased muscle mass= higher bmi and high bmi= bad" Since when is increasing muscle mass bad? Maybe we just have different opinions on what health and fitness are.

I admitted I spoke poorly earlier in the thread, and stated that BMI works just fine for many (majority of) people. "I" believe that it is a silly system to base your perception of your fitness off of a system where muscle is bad. Especially when there are other pretty simple options.

The BIS scale is a more rough estimate and more likely to be considerably off as a percentage.

You may want to supplement BMI with waist to height as an easy second data point in terms of increased health risk.

If both BMI and waist to hight say you're obese; but you feel it is all muscle, then I would seek more confirmation from various body fat measurements such as bia, caliper, body pod, dunk, DEXA, MRI in increased order of potential accuracy.

Visual by trained observers probably spans across the last four.

I haven’t always liked the BMI scale, but still refer to it because it’s an easy scale to refer back to. I do think it’s flawed. But unless you have easy affordable access to a Dexa scanner none of the other methods are perfect either. I’m not an athlete, but I am pretty active. I find all the numbers for all the different weight measurement methods fascinating, because as of right now all three of them put me in different categories.

Right now my BMI is 26. Which puts me just over the line into “overweight,” my body fat % according to the average numbers my scale spits out, which I know are probably not accurate, puts me at around 25% body fat (sometimes it tells me 27%, yesterday it said 21%, but for the last month 25% is the most common reading). If I assume that number is accurate, then I’m right where I should be for my age and height. I’m a 5’7, 35 year old female and my measurements are 34, 29, 42. Which puts me on the higher end of “not overweight” according to that scale.

My personal goals are another 10-15lbs to lose then recomp to get my body fat% down to the low 20’s, as I think I can maintain that.

Despite all these different numbers, I no longer think of myself as “fat” but I also am not where I personally want to be, I’d like that 42, in my measurements to be in the 30’s and I’d like my thighs to jiggle less when I run. So I can ditch the compression leggings.