Tips for those that love being lazy?

LiLee2018
LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
I'm coming up on my 1 year mark on my weight loss journey. While my weight loss has been slow, I've never lost my motivation to lose weight and get healthier.
Realizing that it will probably take me another year to reach my ultimate goal, that I'm totally prepared and pumped to do, I also realized that I REALLY need to become more active too.
Fill myself back out with some muscle so I'm not just a sack of flabby loose skin walking around.
BUT.... I absolutely HATE exercising. I hate it. I hate being active!
I love lounging and doing nothing. I have 3 kids and the time I have to myself... I want to relax.
I've really tried getting in to the habit of exercising. Trying to find things that don't feel like exercise, but I know that's why I'm doing it so it's never fun for me (if that makes sense).

Just... how the hell do you start? How do you keep yourself motivated to exercise when all you want to do is nothing? Walking around outside is out of the question b/c it's hot and I'm a mosquito buffet as soon as I step out the door. I don't like walking around my neighborhood anyway.
I know I'm making a million and one excuses....
I really do want to start my fitness journey and I know it's going to be even more difficult than it was changing my diet.... I just don't know what I can do to keep myself motivated to continue exercising once I do start.

Would love to hear tips/experiences from those that were/are just like me.

Replies

• allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Do you like listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks? I listen to things on my headphones on walks because it helps distract me. Do you have an indoor rec center, or a mall nearby? You can walk around indoors!

If you just don't like walking, try something different! It sounds like you might like yoga or pilates, since both of those involve elements of sitting and slow movements. But there are plenty of other things you can do: zumba or boxing or martial arts or aerial silks or trampolining ... get creative!

Because I'm less likely to exercise if I get home and plant on the couch first, I try to go immediately after work. Make sure you have a bag packed with your workout clothes, shoes and any equipment you need.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    After awhile, working out will BECOME your relaxation.
    Try starting with things you can enjoy and work your way up to more physically exerting activities.
    Start by walking with your kids, by yourself, or your dog if you have one. Explore local parks, hit a hiking trail. If you like photography, bring a camera along or snap some nature photos on your phone.
    You could reward yourself, too. Walk to a pre-determined place, such as a park or a trailhead, bring a hammock. Set up, relax a bit, read a book maybe or just enjoy the outdoors. Then hike/walk home or back to your car.
    If you like to be on the water, maybe try kayaking? I personally love it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited May 2019
    Work outs don't have to be hard to be effective for basic fitness and calorie burns. There is nothing wrong with exercising at an easy effort. I think you'll be surprised how quickly your easy effort workout becomes something you couldn't think of doing now.

Do an easy 30-60 minutes on the elliptical or exercise bike. Throw on your favorite TV show or movie and the time will fly by. Don't do exercise you hate, only do those things that you like at an effort you don't find terribly stressful (or an exercise you don't mind doing at the very least).
  • LiLee2018
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, that's the problem... I just don't like pushing myself physically lol.
    We do have an elliptical, but when I'm on it, all I can think about is how long I've been on it and when I can get off. I have to put a washcloth over the clock b/c if I can see it, that's all I focus on. Like...
    Oh... I must've been on this thing for 30mins now!
    Look at the clock and only 5mins have gone by lol.

Or watching a show or movie... thinking about how long the show has left so that means I've been on it for X amount and... yeah... just something I have to work on I think lol.

I would do yoga or pilates, but I'm as stiff as a board and can't do a lot of the moves that are common with them. I guess that could be one of the things I can work on once I do start. Get some flexibility in to these limbs of mine :)

I think I'm just going to have to try... everything. Hopefully I'll find something I don't mind doing. It's definitely going to be a struggle actually starting though.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    As a fellow lazy person, the key for me was finding the mode of exercising that I really enjoy. This happens to be powerlifting/bodybuilding-style weight lifting. I tried P90x, P90x3, and some other beachbody stuff and didn't love it. My wife is big into running, which I can tolerate from time to time, but I've really come to enjoy lifting and the results I've been able to realize in terms of strength and physique improvements. It would've sounded foreign in years prior but I really have come to enjoy and very much look forward to getting out of bed at 5am to lift before work in the quiet of my basement. I seldom listen to music, usually sports podcasts.

What's also been helpful to me was ditching the transaction approach of exercise = calories. It's freeing to get away from the "if I do X I can eat Y" headspace.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Find something you love.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Nerdfitness.com might fit your requirements. It has all kinds of workouts, including those for people who hate working out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Lots of good responses already.

If you are having trouble getting started, make a totally obtainable goal. I started with a goal of 60 minutes per week (2x30, 3x20, 4x15). Even small increments add up. I used a spreadsheet for tracking but you can write it on a calendar. Make yourself accountable.

Look up 10 or 15 minute workouts on Youtube, then do some of those. Try different things. You will figure out what you like and what you loathe. As time goes add more minutes to your goal.

When we're young our fitness level is something we take for granted. We assume it will always be the same. However, that's not the case. As we age we slowly lose our strength, our range of motion and even our balance. Exercise because you are ABLE to. Some people aren't that fortunate.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Do you like listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks? I listen to things on my headphones on walks because it helps distract me. Do you have an indoor rec center, or a mall nearby? You can walk around indoors!

If you just don't like walking, try something different! It sounds like you might like yoga or pilates, since both of those involve elements of sitting and slow movements. But there are plenty of other things you can do: zumba or boxing or martial arts or aerial silks or trampolining ... get creative!

Because I'm less likely to exercise if I get home and plant on the couch first, I try to go immediately after work. Make sure you have a bag packed with your workout clothes, shoes and any equipment you need.

^^This - most of my walking is indoors. It’s 30 steps to make a lap through the kitchen and living room of my small house. I listen to podcasts while walking. I discovered there are some classic books on podcasts too. Start small by listening to one chapter of a book (some of the chapters I am currently listening to are 10-15 minutes only). Once you’ve met your small goal for the day, lounge as desired. I found that over time I wanted to walk and listen longer. I’ve found myself so interested that I’ve walked the tiny circle for over an hour sometimes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Most of my exercise is recreational activity...riding my bike, rock climbing, hiking, playing in the pool, etc. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be "pushing" yourself all kinds...moving is what you want to be doing. The only time I've really pushed myself is when I'm actually training for something, otherwise I'm just out there having fun. I wouldn't call most of what I do a "workout"...I'm just active.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

^^This - most of my walking is indoors. It’s 30 steps to make a lap through the kitchen and living room of my small house. I listen to podcasts while walking. I discovered there are some classic books on podcasts too. Start small by listening to one chapter of a book (some of the chapters I am currently listening to are 10-15 minutes only). Once you’ve met your small goal for the day, lounge as desired. I found that over time I wanted to walk and listen longer. I’ve found myself so interested that I’ve walked the tiny circle for over an hour sometimes.

If you haven't heard William Shatner reading Beowulf, it's hilarious. :smile:
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    If you want to keep your free time to relax, try finding an activity that you can do with your kids. With that you get the added benefit of getting the kids to be more active too. Like others have said, being more active doesn't have to be a "workout", in fact it may work best for you to quit thinking of it as a workout and instead think of it as "finding a new hobby". If you can arrange it, taking a different kid to do different activities could be one-on-one quality time and potentially you could come up with 3 new hobbies!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    I totally agree with being active with your kids. It’s great to be a good role model for them with physical activity. It doesn’t have to be overly strenuous- running around with them at the playground, bike rides around the neighborhood, jumping together on a trampoline, etc. They’ll have fun and always remember that you were active with them, you’ll get in some activity, and you won’t interfere with your adult relaxation time!
  • LiLee2018
    Thanks so much everyone so far. It really does help seeing others like myself that have pushed through their laziness.
    I do need to find that something that I enjoy. It's just going to be difficult getting there.
    I am determined though. It's just getting out of my very comfortably lazy zone.
    Never thought I'd be on a restrictive diet for this long, yet here I am still going strong. Next year I'd really like to be able to say that about exercising/being active :)
  • dododididada
    dododididada Posts: 182 Member
    Start with exercising while sitting like the windmill and other arm exercises
    Try to left your legs in front of you straight for your stomach and legs muscles for 20 times 2sets
    And try to move your heels up like you're walking while washing dishes
    Then after couple of days you'll search for new exercises like me
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Things that work for me:

1 - Fitbit (I have a charge 2). Just playing with my kids and going to work adds up steps, I work on rounding that up to 10 000 steps at least every day. I also set myself other goal : like uping my heart rythm for x minutes (folding laundry while listening to dance music works!) I do all cleaning with upbeat music and I look at my fitbit making sure my heart rate is elevated. If not I jump around, lift my arms higher, work faster, etc.

2 - I did C25K to go from couch to runing 5 k. It works, I was so proud the first time I completed it. It's only 3x30 minutes a week and I leave my husband with bath time and dishwashing at night to do it lolollol Procrastination to do dishes becomes motivation to go for a run lol Hubby wants to see me work on my health so he is fine to do that trade off!

3 - Zumba ... Dancing does not feel like exercise, It feel like having fun to me, so I try to join a class from time to time or I play the Wii version, follow youtube video or I play Just dance on the nintendo switch.

4 - I began doing challenges like the "30 days plank challenge"... I can only do an half-plank but it only takes a few seconds at first. So every night I would do only one exercise, a few seconds, but then I added a second one, and a third, etc.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    If you have the coordination to turn the pages (or have an E-reader that just requires swiping or pushing a button), try reading while on the elliptical. I know it sounds crazy, but I always read when I use the treadmill. If I'm having to use the treadmill instead of going outside, I'm probably having my kids at home with me so I read instead of music so I can still listen out for them.
    I love exercise and being outside so I don't have much insight on going from hate to love it, but if the mosquitoes are a big factor in not wanting to be outside, I find they leave me alone when I'm wearing spray on sunscreen. When I don't have that on, they try to eat me alive.
    Otherwise, as others have said, it doesn't have to be hard to count as exercising. Just keep experimenting until you find something you actually like. You'll get it figured out. Good luck!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Trying different things to find something you enjoy will help. I bought a recumbent exercise bike after my last back surgery that was collecting dust until January. I decided one day to start using it and was only able to do 10 minutes at first. My body quickly adjusted and I don't run out of breath going up stairs or walking a long way. I appreciate what my body can do as i used to be bed ridden. I save my reading for when I'm on the bike. It's my time to enjoy my book and listen to music without being disturbed. It's not easy to start but once you make a habit of it, you'll keep doing it. I sometimes have to go through the motions at first, but get into it once I've started. Next step is to go to the gym for resistance training.