How long before you can confidently accept a certain weight?

Options
I keep going back and forth between 141 and 142 the last couple of weeks. I weigh in almost daily. This is not something that affects me negatively, so I don't believe there's a reason to stop for now. Anyways, when can I confidently say - hey! I weight 141 pounds! Should it be when I no longer see 142 on the scale? I only have 7-6 pounds to lose so every pound matters to me.

Thoughts?

Replies

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It is normal for your weight to fluctuate. You can never confidently say that you weigh exactly 141 pounds. Your body is 60% water and that changes all the time.

Having said that, I weigh daily and use the weekly average as my weight.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use a weight trend app to keep track of my weight (Libra for android users). I would consider myself at '141 or X number' when my trend weight reaches 141. Using the trend weight app helps eliminate some weight over thinking for me
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also use my trend weight to decide.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a weight app but I don't use it as often as I should. I am more used to writing down my weight in my planner. I'll start using the app more.

Thank you all for your input! This wasn't for me to announce a certain number to the world, it was for myself and my own accomplishments.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    We weigh a range but when you are thinking in terms of "how much weight have I lost?' or when someone asks I usually just go with the last lowest number. The exception to this is if I suspect I was dehydrated because of illness or something when I recorded the number.

I also know that while I am in a calorie deficit my next new low number will be coming eventually so there is no reason to try to decide which temporary weight is more accurate. It simply doesn't matter. It would only matter if I was seeing no change for close to 2 months then I would review my overall system to see where I was making a mistake.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I use the last Friday in the month as my "offical" weigh in day, and log that. I may hop on the scales more often - usually to see any "damage" from a big night out and to check it is coming back off a couple of days later. But I am more a maintainer than loser right now.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion when I must verbalize my weight (at the doctor's office, for example), I always say "as of my last weigh-in, I weigh XXX."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »
    I keep going back and forth between 141 and 142 the last couple of weeks. I weigh in almost daily. This is not something that affects me negatively, so I don't believe there's a reason to stop for now. Anyways, when can I confidently say - hey! I weight 141 pounds! Should it be when I no longer see 142 on the scale? I only have 7-6 pounds to lose so every pound matters to me.

Thoughts?

Body weight isn't a static figure. You weigh 141 when it says 141...you weigh 142 when you weigh 142. Weight fluctuates...your weight is a range, not a specific number. If my doctor asks me, I just give him what my app says is my average
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal, as scales are a measure of weight, not just fat. If my scale said the same thing everyday, my first thought would be to change the batteries, lol.