Does calorie shifting work?

Options
I have been pretty good about adhering to my goal of ~1800 calories/day. In the past 2.5 months, I've lost around 25 lbs. And nothing was sweeter that buying a new pair of jeans that were 3 sizes smaller than the previous pair =)

But now I've been hovering at the same weight for about 3 weeks. I have continued working out 3 to 5 times a week, but have experienced a pause in my weight loss. Should I try varying my calorie intake (say up to 2000-2100/d) or take a week off? Or is it best to continue doing what I've been doing? I'm not really discouraged- i've not felt this good in a long time. Just not sure what to do next.

Replies

• Reneelynnjones
    Reneelynnjones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your workout? Sometimes our bodies hit plateaus and need a change up! I have a cheat meal every so often (and some times a cheat day or two), but over all, I have found a change in my workout to be most effective! Good luck to you!
  • justme400
    justme400 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found if I stop losing weight and I have a day of cheating it boosts my metabolism and helps me lose faster. For that reason I have a cheat day every week, Saturday's and I usually lose most of my pounds on that day. This may not work for everybody but it works wonderfully for me
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It has been 3 weeks....wait it out.
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You can either try switching up your exercise routine, switching up your food choices while staying at the same calories, or go over calories by about 500 for one day. These have all worked for me when I don't lose weight for a few weeks. Also, instead of eating 1800 calories a day, shift your calories around throughout the week. Eat 1500 one day, 2100 one day, 1700 one day, 1900 one day, etc. As long as you are averaging 1800 calories it really doesn't matter. At least these have worked for me.
  • Kate_Brown_123
    Kate_Brown_123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Now that you have lost 25lbs you may need to adjust your calorie intake. Try re-calculating your BRM or your MFP settings!

Shake things up in your exercise routine too...keeps things interesting too!

Well done so far though and keep up the hard work!