Feeling "hungry" all damn day. D:

Options
I literally think about food and want food 24/7. Some of the time I genuinely feel hungry even if I just ate an hour or two ago. Sometimes I just really want to eat again. It's becoming a huge struggle. I'm still staying under my calorie goal, but it's so darn HARD every day. I can't be the only one who "needs" to eat all day. I don't know what I expect from posting, I just really want to get it off my chest I think because I'm feeling defeated.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your calories are set too low, and you are genuinely hungry?

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals?

How long have you been eating this way, and how much weight have you lost so far?

Are you eating any of your exercise calories?

(Sorry for all the questions :lol: )
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    All of @kimny72's questions, plus:

Where are you in your menstrual cycle?

How large is your calorie deficit?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you. I spent so many years using food as comfort it's like a habit or addiction.

I think it does get easier with time. If it gets unbearable maybe try a small diet break and eat at maintenance for a day or two, see if that takes the edge off.
  • fmatmip95
    fmatmip95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 1300-1500 calories a day, and most days I don't exercise. Sometimes I go for walks, but for the most part, my activity is just working (I'm a nanny, so on my feet plenty). Using a CICO calculator, I got 1570 as how many calories I should be eating daily. I've been eating like this since the very end of February, and I've lost 30 pounds. Fiber and protein could probably use a little boost. Sometimes I hit those goals, sometimes I don't. I'm on the second week of this month (menstrual wise), but I don't notice a change in how hungry I am through my cycle.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    if it says to eat 1570 and you are eating 1300 that is 270 calories less. that's too little. but it depends how many days you do that. once a week max may be ok. but if you are having half your days that low that's not good.

ETA: congrats, 30lb in three months is very fast rate of loss!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You say you've lost 30 pounds (AWESOME, BTW!). How much more are you planning on losing?

Do you have an idea what your maintenance calories are?

You're about three months into this weight loss? A diet break might help.
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    fmatmip95 wrote: »
    I literally think about food and want food 24/7. Some of the time I genuinely feel hungry even if I just ate an hour or two ago. Sometimes I just really want to eat again. It's becoming a huge struggle. I'm still staying under my calorie goal, but it's so darn HARD every day. I can't be the only one who "needs" to eat all day. I don't know what I expect from posting, I just really want to get it off my chest I think because I'm feeling defeated.

Hang in there! I do feel the same way a lot of days. I am able to concentrate on other things which takes my mind off food. An example is: I began using the conmari method to organize my house, it keeps my mind and hands busy with something other than food and makes me happy when I see my progress. Another thing I do is plan my food and log every bite (even if it's not the healthiest). I had to decide if instant gratification was worth my health in the long run. We CAN do this! Don't believe the lies you tell yourself. We do need food to survive but not every second, that's a want. Happy Weight Loss!
  • kimny72
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I am eating about 1300-1500 calories a day, and most days I don't exercise. Sometimes I go for walks, but for the most part, my activity is just working (I'm a nanny, so on my feet plenty). Using a CICO calculator, I got 1570 as how many calories I should be eating daily. I've been eating like this since the very end of February, and I've lost 30 pounds. Fiber and protein could probably use a little boost. Sometimes I hit those goals, sometimes I don't. I'm on the second week of this month (menstrual wise), but I don't notice a change in how hungry I am through my cycle.

30 lbs in less than 3 months is an aggressive rate of loss. Unless you still have 75+ lbs to lose, you really should slow that down anyway.

Eat at least that 1570 (if not more), and let your rate slow down a little. If you are on your feet running after kiddos all day and didn't consider yourself active when you used the calculator, even the 1570 is probably low. Eat a little more :smile:
  • fmatmip95
    Options
    Even at the 1500 point, I'm still only losing .2 a day, if that. This morning my weight was actually UP 1.4 even though I ate the same levels of everything as I have been eating. I'll try a diet break, I'm just worried because of my issues with binge eating. If I let myself have a break, I'm scared it will be TOO MUCH of a break. Still have 70 pounds to lose to get to the healthy range, and 85 to lose until my ultimate goal.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Even at the 1500 point, I'm still only losing .2 a day, if that. This morning my weight was actually UP 1.4 even though I ate the same levels of everything as I have been eating. I'll try a diet break, I'm just worried because of my issues with binge eating. If I let myself have a break, I'm scared it will be TOO MUCH of a break. Still have 70 pounds to lose to get to the healthy range, and 85 to lose until my ultimate goal.

that is 1.5lbs a week! that's is FAST!
    you also won't see actual reductions daily. our body weight fluctuates daily for lots of reasons other htan weight loss/gain.

let me see if i can find the link on how our body weight fluctuates daily...

ETA: here it is
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

It sounds like the main issue is that your expectations are unrealistic.
  • kimny72
    Options

Looking for daily weight loss is unrealistic. Regardless, an average of 0.2lbs per day is 1.4lbs per week, which is fast weight loss. Unless you are 500 lbs or a contestant on the Biggest Loser (most of whom gain it back BTW), you need to adjust your expectations. Most people will lose at a rate of 1-1.5lbs per week, and when they get within 20lbs or so, a rate of 0.5-1lb per week.
  • fmatmip95
    Options
    Thanks for the reality check. I think I really needed it.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If you have urge to eat, then have some celery and / or carrots. / Cheese sticks.
    The other option is to increase your protein with a protein shake, and see if that helps.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Just think of the break as part of the plan, not as a cancellation.
    The general idea of diet breaks as useful came from researchers asking people to break their diet because they wanted to study how a moment of loss of adherence leads to complete failure of diets, but to their surprise, their subjects had no issues because in their mind, the break it self was part of the plan.
  • InsanityFan1
    InsanityFan1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ive had a bad week too, going 500 to 1000 over on some days. I make sure to get my protein in, that helps. I eat a lot of boiled egg whites and I get shrimp and chicken to load up at lunch to make it through the rest of the work day.
    When I really have to fight it I just grab my water and drink a lot of it. It helps me, everyones different but this is just what I usually do to fight cravings and the hunger.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Pay attention to what you ate that left you hungry. I find certain foods may fit into a low calorie meal..but it leaves me ravenous. I make note of it..and don't eat it again. I pair lean protein with every meal I eat..and only eat complex carbs and I don't get like that any longer.

But those 100 calorie snacks..and soups , lean cuisines. .. processed "diet foods". leave me crazy hungry.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

If you’re hungry try something primarily protein. I use tempeh, tofu cubes and protein drinks. Some meat or tuna could work too. You don’t need much to take the hunger away. Experiment with having some, waiting ten minutes while tracking your hunger level, and then having some more if you’re still hungry. Controlling your hunger is important to staying in your plan. Your doing great ~ just a few tweaks could be all you need.