Tea & coffee logged as water?

Options
Help! I’ve been told two different things. Do we log our coffee and tea as water?

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i log my coffee as coffee (i use starbucks pike). it's only like 5 or so calories but i log just about everything that isn't a spice.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't log it at all. I do log my chai latte because both the chai concentrate and the milk have lots of calories. But water with a tea bag - nope.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to log zero calorie drinks unless your doctor told you to pay close attention to your liquid intake. Just drink when you’re thirsty and keep an eye on your urine color. If it’s dark other than first thing in the morning, try to drink more.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I log my hot tea as tea because I add creamer to it. I don’t log iced tea at all and I don’t drink coffee. I do track my water but I am not fussed about it being 100% accurate. Do what you feel is acceptable. It doesn’t really matter what other people do. The actions of others does not affect your weight. 😉
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Do you add anything to your coffee or tea? If not, it's basically water. So are all consumable liquids, but some have calories.

That was a revelation for me that made me feel pretty stupid. I mean, genuinely, what kinds of liquids can we consume? Water and alcohol are the only two that come to mind, and it can't really be 100% alcohol or you couldn't really consume much of it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I log it when I get Starbucks as its listed with the calorie count. I only log the coffee cream when I'm at home. Same goes with iced tea, I dont log it. I do log the cinnamon I put in my yogurt even though it's only 5 calories. I guess I ought to count coffee and tea to be consistent, but i haven't up to now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I never logged coffee (or counted water) when I was logging at MFP. I often log coffee now when I'm logging since I'm logging on Cronometer and it adds some potassium.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have a history of kidney problems so I track water because my doc wants me to drink at least 80oz daily. I put cream in my coffee so I log that for the calories. Plain tea, I don't log at all.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I only log the milk I add to my tea, I don't log the tea itself. I drink a lot of tea so can easily consume 100 calories a day from the milk in my tea haha.
  • Jaynerose626
    Jaynerose626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A good margin of my recipes are created due to the "milk aspect" I do keep in mind that a certain portion is water content however I keep a rough tally of the caffine intake so I can make sure I'm not dehydrating myself. It's beneficial to to a quick daily water update as you go along so you know that you're probably hydrated and can troubleshoot if one morning some signs of who knows arises.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I log coffee because I track my potassium and magnesium. I don't log water because I'm usually adequately hydrated. For hydration, anything that is mostly water counts as water, including tea and coffee. For calories, water doesn't need to be tracked, and tea and coffee with nothing added don't have many calories so most people don't bother logging them. Logging or not logging them will depend on what information you are after.
  • lemonwater1
    lemonwater1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I log my coffee as coffee and don’t log water. I use creamer so logging the coffee helps me stay accountable for logging the creamer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm adequately hydrated so do not log any fluids in the Water Consumption section.
  • anniemgm
    anniemgm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log my water in the Water Consumption section to keep track of how much I'm drinking. Because I'm doing that it seems to motivate me to drink more, which is a good thing.
  • MichlensRout
    MichlensRout Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It seems that tea and coffee are more likely not just water but drinks.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    It seems that tea and coffee are more likely not just water but drinks.

Drinks that are mostly made of water though, so...
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    quoted comment removed by staff

Just to clarify...Drinking tea doesn't help you lose weight...unless you are using it as a replacement for drinks that have calories. If it helps reduce your daily calorie intake, then, sure, it can be a tool to help with weight loss. But, there's nothing special about the tea itself that promotes weight loss.

Adding a flavor or other additive to water doesn't make it no longer water. It still hydrates you. Obviously, anything you add to it that has calories need to be accounted for, but there are plenty of calorie-free options.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    None of this is that hard or complicated...stay hydrated. If you're hydrated, you're good. If you're de-hydrated, you're not good.