Need help with calculating calories

Hello, I am a mum to a 2.5 year old and a 7 months old baby. I had a c sec but now I feel ready to shed a few kilos and get back to the gym. My lifestyle is sedentary but I don't know if running behind kids, lifting them etc counts. I am 57kg 152cm/5 Feet.
According to mfp, I should be eating 1200kcal to lose weight. Does it seem correct to you?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    If i did the conversion correctly at 57kg that equals 125lbs?

if so you are already within healthy weight range and should select a rate of loss if 0.5 which will give you more than 1200 calories. faster is not better and can cause health issues.

with two young kids i’d try lightly active as well. you move around a to chasing them around.

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    @Mkneedtogetfit - If you are not spending the majority of your day on your feet (like a teacher or a sales clerk), then Sedentary is the right activity level. Log the activity when you do go to the gym, go for a walk, etc., and then experiment with how many of those calories you can eat back. Just note that those "calories burned" numbers can be inaccurate, so you'll need to experiment to see how many of them you can eat back and still see some movement on the scale number.
    By the way, at 57kg and 152cm/5 Feet, it sounds like you may be pretty close to a good weight, so aim for a slow rate of weight loss -- more like 1/2 pound/week than 2/week.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Yes 125lbs but I feel flabby as I lost a lot of muscle during pregnancy and post partum. I will try 0.5kg per week. Thank you
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    no .5 POUNDS. that is like 0.25kg

sounds like just toning, muscle bullding and recomp would be more what you want VS weight loss,
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Argh, wrote a response and it disappeared.

With a baby and a toddler you're not sedentary. At a minimum, you're lightly active.

1200 calories does not seem correct. It's too low. Go back and change your activity level, and adjust your weight loss goal to a half pound a week. Log your intentional exercise, if any, and eat back at least half of those calories. Don't forget to add more calories if you're breastfeeding (200 to 500 cals a day depending on how much, if any, solid food baby is eating).