How long did it take for you to start to love running?

Options

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I loved it after my 1st run. Loved it from the moment I took that 1st step. Love every step since. Went from running 3km to 10km in about 2 weeks. Now 10km is my minimum.
  • _JEFF_
    _JEFF_ Posts: 1
    Options
    I would think by the time the first zombie is heading your way....:wink:
  • tonythebuick
    Options
    When I was in shape and much younger, I would run 18-24 miles a week. This was after a good long weight training session. I found that as I passed the 4 mile mark, it wasn't that I loved or loathed running, I had transcended it. My mind was able to wander any where it wanted. My legs and breathing just went on autopilot.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So this is about my 50,000 try to start running. This seems to be the most successful so far. I say that because I seem to be more patient with myself, seem to be making progress, although slow, I am seeing improvement, and there for enjoying it more. But when do you go from your feet feeling like concrete blocks and saying to your self "just make it to the next whatever land mark you see up ahead" to "I can keep going for another 45 minutes for the fun of it?" Just curious?

Random geeky tidbit: Assuming the OP is 38yo (as by her username), she would have needed to start running 3-4 times every single day of her life to make this the 50,000th one.
    Burst of geekiness over. Carry on.

PS: OP, I've finished c25k. I enjoyed some of my runs, but hated most of them. I can't say I'm a runner but I still try it occasionally, when it's not too hot. I'm not sure though that I'll ever love it.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't really imagine running to burn calories, it must be so dull. You need a better reason than that to run. Why not do something you enjoy? Tennis, dance, wrestling, whatever...
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You may never love it. It does get easier, but I think that timeframe depends on your starting point.

For me, I will have five bad runs and then finally a good one. But it must be good because I keep coming back.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The first time you have a "floating" run, you'll get it.

This totally,

after about 2 weeks I could run a 5K without stopping (even though it was more jogging than running) and I just had this moment where I was smiling like a crazy person and it was like my legs were just moving without me having to think about running, it did feel very floaty - since then I have loved it :smile:
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I started about 4 months ago, partly to burn more calories, but mainly as i want to do a 10K in October. I was also a sprinter at school, although I did a bit of orienteering when I was younger. I've never been a runner of any distance.

I don't love and and don't think I ever will, but like a lot of comments here some are worse than others. When you get to a point where your runs are all about goals, the next mile, the next corner, hell, the next lamp-post - rather than "when am I going to finish this" it will become easier. You may not love 'em, but you won't hate 'em. I'm out about 3 to 4 times a week, minimum 3.5 miles - although that'll need to go up this week.

Took me about 6 weeks to reach this point, probably once my body realised that I was going to keep going with this and that it better get on board. The telling point for me will be when I've done the 10K and winter really starts :(

Now cycling, that's a different story, exercise is a very personal thing.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I hate running. Why do something you hate? There are plenty of other exercises out there to do.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would love to run. Seriously... I look like a horrible whale trying to swim out of water while running. I don't know why I feel like that, but my kids even laugh at me! I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong... maybe I just wasn't meant to run long distances. In fact, since my kids made fun of me, I refuse to run/jog in public again. My oldest says I need to be free with my arms. While of course I'm trying to be free with my arms, my breasts are all over the place, even with a great support bra. Maybe duct tape would work better........

I really hope you are running and enjoying it more than I have been.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    53 years and counting!
    Used to love sprinting but always hated distance running. I've never had the ability to jog, I'm either walking or running with nothing in between.

I made myself train for and run a few 5k races after my knee got mangled mainly as a challenge but also because free beer and T-shirts were involved... :drinker:

C25K is the exact opposite way I trained by the way - personally for natural sprinters I think intervals/fartlek works better but that's just my opinion.

Used to run fast miles when I was playing squash seriously and still run some intervals most weeks as "sprinters pride" means when I play sport I will not be the slowest even if I'm the oldest.
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago. I still hate it. It has gotten a lot easier, but I don't look forward to it. I much rather sit on the couch eating salt and vinegar potato chips.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not really an answer to your question, but I've been DYING to share this somewhere, and this seems like a good thread to do it.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Now, as to actually answering your question, I have a friend who said it took her a year. Personally, I'm in the same boat as you, I don't like it but I keep willing myself to do it anyway as if someday I will magically like it. I just moved and can't afford a gym membership, so yeah, running is really one of my only options right now. Really if I had my way I'd rollerskate everyday.
  • corinneallene
    corinneallene Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    once it stopped hurting :) and after i discovered running as a stress-reliever!
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've been running for just under 6 months and I still don't love it. It's fine. It's a means to an end. Sometimes I feel quite good and enjoyed a run but for the most part it is just fine.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's going on about 14 years and I'm finally getting used to it. Me and running are like an old married couple. I don't care for it most of the time, but I'll never ever leave it, and every once in awhile I have an amazing run that reminds me why I fell in love in the first place.

But really, if you don't love it by your 50,000 try you might never. But you don't have to be head over heels for it. Just enjoy it.

ETA: I saw this great Tshirt that said "I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they would give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them. I know they would do the same for me".

Sort of puts the misery in perspective.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started about 4 months ago, partly to burn more calories, but mainly as i want to do a 10K in October. I was also a sprinter at school, although I did a bit of orienteering when I was younger. I've never been a runner of any distance.

I don't love and and don't think I ever will, but like a lot of comments here some are worse than others. When you get to a point where your runs are all about goals, the next mile, the next corner, hell, the next lamp-post - rather than "when am I going to finish this" it will become easier. You may not love 'em, but you won't hate 'em. I'm out about 3 to 4 times a week, minimum 3.5 miles - although that'll need to go up this week.

Took me about 6 weeks to reach this point, probably once my body realised that I was going to keep going with this and that it better get on board. The telling point for me will be when I've done the 10K and winter really starts :(

Now cycling, that's a different story, exercise is a very personal thing.

Thats kind of where I am, "Now let me get to that next drive way, okay the next stop sign", Then the next day a bit further, now I'm at the point of where I say okay, yesterday you did 18 minutes, today go for 20. So today I jogged 20 minutes straight. The next time I'll go for 22, or just around the next corner" It has to be about goals for me and reaching the next goal. I'll keep at it.

Thanks everyone for all your input, it's very helpful!
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

ETA: I saw this great Tshirt that said "I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they would give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them. I know they would do the same for me".

Sort of puts the misery in perspective.

LOVE THIS!!!!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I started loving it when i started running with friends.

I forced myself to start running as an adult, but never liked it until I started raining for specific distances with a running buddy. We trained for a 5 k. Then a half marathon. And a few more of those. Then a full marathon. My running buddy became one of my best buddies, and a free therapist, but he moved earlier this year - I still have the sad's about that. But I have made more running friends, and I never run alone.

A lot of local running shoe shops offer group runs on the weekends or evenings. Check those out. Time and distance fly when you're making friends.
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    Hate running.

Walk, it's actually better for you.