Run For Life.

Options
I want to start running. I have always wanted to do it and now I will. I'm getting an ipod soon that way I can listen to music and what not. Any tips before I tread the pavement?

Replies

• Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm not a big time runner or anything, but I know it's important to have the right shoes before you start. Couch to 5k is a good program for starting out and building endurance. And there's always a group of C25kers starting under the motivation and support tab. Good luck!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    The couch 2 5k is a great program to get new people started running--it does intervals between running and walking and builds you up to run further distances. Besides the music and the program, make sure you are hydrated--you may want to carry a water bottle with you on your runs (you can get used to the feeling of it) or run where there are water fountains and drink up...they also sell hydration belts that some use on longer runs...make sure you are eating enough as well.

Proper shoes are important-go to a running store and they will fit you for the shoe that will work best for you based on your foot/arch and how you run--this will prevent injuries later.

Remember to stretch before AND after each run--you can look up different stretches used for runners, and always warm up--a brisk 5 minute walk before and after a run are great and help your body/muscles.

Also wear appropriate clothing-avoid cotton anything at all costs--you will chaffe and blister (more so on the longer runs). They make clothes that wick away sweat keeping you dry-this goes for shorts, socks and shirts. Also if you find that you are still chaffing (if the shorts ride up or thighs rub together) you can try wearing longer/spandex shorts under the regular shorts or use a product called body glide (I found mine at ****s sporting goods in the soccor section.) It goes on clear and prvents chaffing. you can also use it for your toes, and upper body.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ditto on finding proper running shoes. Also, whilst proper running clothes aren't essential i would highly recommend them - it can be very stressful and hot to run in tracksuits and normal cotton t-shirts, so try shorts and a light running top. Helps keep you cool and makes the whole experience a lot less stressful.
    Carrying water is an issue once you start to do longer distances. Many beginners carry a bottle in their hand, but I don't recommend it; the arm carrying the bottle quickly gets disproportionally tired and its difficult to find a proper rhythm. I use a hydration belt by Nathan, one that splits the water into two bottles at either side of the belt to reduce bouncing. I've tried several methods and belts for carrying water and this one is my favorite - simple, convenient and looks good.
    With regards training, I wouldn't say you need to use a detailed training program, just get out there and build the distance and speed up gradually! Getting better at running is mostly common sense really.
    Good luck!
  • twingirls05
    Options
    YAY!!! Another converted wanna-be-runner!!! LOL!!!! I started running a bit over a year ago. I've now done 3 half marathon, a bunch of smaller races and I'm training for my first marathon! YAY!

Anyway, ditto what everyone has said! Start with walking/jogging intervals (couch 2 5k is an awesome program). Before you do anything, go to a running store where they video you running on a treadmill and figure out what kind of shoe that you need (neutral, stability control, motion control, etc). Super Feet inserts are awesome too! I wear them in my running shoes and they've made my feet feel great. Some moisture wicking socks (also found at a running store) will keep blisters at bay and for any spots that start to chafe, get yourself some Body Glide!
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes are important-go to a running store and they will fit you for the shoe that will work best for you based on your foot/arch and how you run--this will prevent injuries later.

I would also recommend considering not running with shoes at all! Check out some of the other posts on this board and others on barefoot (and minimal shoe) running. If not here, the forums at runnersworld and birthdayshoes have even more info.