Weight loss plateau

rwnhz
rwnhz Posts: 32 Member
Hi this is my first post here and uh, I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to get over a weight loss plateau?
I've been watching how I eat and I started working out in January (weighed 66kg for 165cm) I'm now around 60/61kg but have been so since late March and the scale just hasn't budged since then, and I have no idea what to do. I eat around 1200 calories a day (I weigh everything with a scale but it might be a bit over or a bit under it depending on the days), and I try to work out every day or every two days. I don't know what to do. Any tips? Should I eat more? Less? Work out more often? Welp.
(Also, since it might change my metabolism, I'm a trans guy under Testosterone so it might change the way my body responds to eating / working out but I haven't really found any info on that tbh - please no transphobic comments....)

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Hi there.

The usual advice is to check your logging/weighing/measuring etc. Make sure you are using the correct entries etc. Open your diary for people to look at and see if there are any areas they can advise on. If you use the search function you will find loads of threads about plateauing.

Having said that, you being trans and taking testosterone you might need a bit more tailored advice from other trans people who have been where you are.

Maybe re-post with "Trans Guy" in the title. I have never seen any transphobic comments on any of the threads where other trans people have posted, (the moderators would stomp on it fast anyway) MFP is a very diverse, welcoming community and there is a wealth of advice to be had on here, I am sure someone will help you out. :)

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    welcome! congrats on your on success so far.

agree with the above. if you are not using a food scale for ALL foods, start there. Recheck the entries you use in the food diary as many in the database are false. If you were ok with making your food diary open temporarily experienced members can take a peak and point out possible issues. Calorie counting sounds overly simplistic but it honestly isn't. we have all made errors along the way, a year in i was still finding all kinds of errors in my logging. i have been slowly cleaning up and reviewing on a regular basis (when needed)

1200 sounds overly low. i would not recommend eating less.

• rwnhz
    Ok thanks very much for your answers and encouragement! I'll try to make my diary open although I'm a bit scared ahah maybe it'll turn out I'm not doing anything right, but oh well guess that's how I'll actually progress.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Depending on how much weight you have to lose, 1200 sounds really low.

You say, "around 1200 calories," and you say you weigh stuff...could you open your food diary so we can help you troubleshoot? Go to FOOD > Settings and scroll down and click, "Public" and save.

I would say to choose the gender to which you are transitioning in your Goals, I mean that's who you are going to remain in the future so it would make sense to figure it out at that gender. You'll have to run the food logging experiment just like we all do.

I would definitely eat more than 1200. 1500 is the minimum recommendation for a male.
  • cmriverside
    I don't read French but it looks like you're logging fairly well.

You've lost 13 or so pounds since January? I'd say that's really good.

You are really under eating. That isn't good. Get your calories up to the minimum of 1500 PLUS exercise calories. Try to eat more vegetables and fruit. Get enough protein, your protein is really low.

Then just try to relax a little. Weight loss is not linear and some weeks will just not show up as losses, then one day you'll lose 4 pounds.

Eat more, though. Under eating is going to cause you problems, healthwise.
  • Toaster05
    Toaster05 Posts: 20 Member
    I'll tell you exactly what my Dietitian told me not more than two days ago when I mentioned this to her.

Most people will plateau at some point and it's entirely based on the individual. I was told that if I'm walking six miles a day and eating 1500 calories after a period of time my body will go 'Yep, ok so that's that then I'm good with this, thanks" and what's going to get it going again is to change up your routine a bit.

Personally what I've taken from my meeting is that I need to exercise slightly differently by adding more variety and maybe modify my eating habits slightly (I'm told I'm eating pretty well) to encourage my body to react.

Not the most scientific answer ever but it's a rough translation of what I was told to do by a trained expert. (Dietican, not Nutritionist might I add)

Good luck with it.
  • rwnhz

You are really under eating. That isn't good. Get your calories up to the minimum of 1500 PLUS exercise calories. Try to eat more vegetables and fruit. Get enough protein, your protein is really low.

Then just try to relax a little. Weight loss is not linear and some weeks will just not show up as losses, then one day you'll lose 4 pounds.

Thanks ! I'm just scared of upping my calories intake and actually gaining weight but I've also read that under eating might actually do the reverse result and actually prevent me from losing weight. I guess I'm just scared of gaining weight lol. But I'll try to do that and eat more protein and fruits and veggies. Thanks very much for the tips and the encouragement, it really helps !
  • rwnhz
    Toaster05 wrote: »
    I'll tell you exactly what my Dietitian told me not more than two days ago when I mentioned this to her.

Most people will plateau at some point and it's entirely based on the individual. I was told that if I'm walking six miles a day and eating 1500 calories after a period of time my body will go 'Yep, ok so that's that then I'm good with this, thanks" and what's going to get it going again is to change up your routine a bit.

Personally what I've taken from my meeting is that I need to exercise slightly differently by adding more variety and maybe modify my eating habits slightly (I'm told I'm eating pretty well) to encourage my body to react.

Not the most scientific answer ever but it's a rough translation of what I was told to do by a trained expert. (Dietican, not Nutritionist might I add)

Good luck with it.

Fairly simple answer but it still helps a lot, thanks ! I'll try to switch things up a bit (tbh I just finished my exams so I finally have more time to focus on exercising and stuff). Thank you very much !
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    agree with cmriverside, logging looks good! but 1200 seems too low :)

• cmriverside
    rwnhz wrote: »

Thanks ! I'm just scared of upping my calories intake and actually gaining weight but I've also read that under eating might actually do the reverse result and actually prevent me from losing weight. I guess I'm just scared of gaining weight lol. But I'll try to do that and eat more protein and fruits and veggies. Thanks very much for the tips and the encouragement, it really helps !

So here is my belief after logging food on this site and reading thousands of posts.

I'm not saying this is a scientific Fact, though it very well could be:

I believe that my own weight loss is significantly easier, I feel better and have more energy and I'm healthier when I eat a balanced macro nutrition plan. So that means, get enough protein and fat and fill the rest with whole grains, vegetables and whole fruits, a little dairy, some nuts, beans. Any protein source is good, but get enough!

Here:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/
  • rwnhz

So here is my belief after logging food on this site and reading thousands of posts.

I'm not saying this is a scientific Fact, though it very well could be:

I believe that my own weight loss is significantly easier, I feel better and have more energy and I'm healthier when I eat a balanced macro nutrition plan. So that means, get enough protein and fat and fill the rest with whole grains, vegetables and whole fruits, a little dairy, some nuts, beans. Any protein source is good, but get enough!

Here:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

Wow okay thanks a lot I'll check that out and try to prep my meals better so I can have more protein per day!
  • SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Hi this is my first post here and uh, I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to get over a weight loss plateau?
    I've been watching how I eat and I started working out in January (weighed 66kg for 165cm) I'm now around 60/61kg but have been so since late March and the scale just hasn't budged since then, and I have no idea what to do. I eat around 1200 calories a day (I weigh everything with a scale but it might be a bit over or a bit under it depending on the days), and I try to work out every day or every two days. I don't know what to do. Any tips? Should I eat more? Less? Work out more often? Welp.
    (Also, since it might change my metabolism, I'm a trans guy under Testosterone so it might change the way my body responds to eating / working out but I haven't really found any info on that tbh - please no transphobic comments....)

Hello, darling! I've hit a bit of a plateau myself, albeit it hasn't lasted as long as yours is, I'm only arguing with myself the last two weeks. I can't imagine how much of a fighter you must be to put up with it since March and still be on your game with this, I'd be going crazy.

One option would be that if you're working out rather frequently that you could be holding onto water weight for muscle repair, or if you're taking in a lot of salt. I hold onto water like crazy as well, so the struggle is real. Keep at it and you'll get there!
  • rwnhz

Hello, darling! I've hit a bit of a plateau myself, albeit it hasn't lasted as long as yours is, I'm only arguing with myself the last two weeks. I can't imagine how much of a fighter you must be to put up with it since March and still be on your game with this, I'd be going crazy.

One option would be that if you're working out rather frequently that you could be holding onto water weight for muscle repair, or if you're taking in a lot of salt. I hold onto water like crazy as well, so the struggle is real. Keep at it and you'll get there!

Thanks so much, yeah it hasn't been easy I sometimes feel like I'm not going to be able to keep losing weight but I gotta tell myself that if I quit it won't get results either so I gotta keep at it... But thanks so much for your message of support it really means a lot !
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    I agree with others about checking your logging, and if you're not, weigh your food on a scale. I was shocked at how things like an apple I thought was small had over half more calories than I thought. Same goes for what I thought was a tablespoon of coffee cream or the worst, how small a serving of peanut butter is! These things definitely add up, especially when trying to stay at 1200 calories!

I plateaued for a month, it was real frustrating to weigh myself and go up a pound or weigh the same. I'm at 1200 calories before exercise calories too. I kept to my WOE and exercise even though I was discouraged. Eventually the scale started moving again and I'm back on track now. Hang in there, you got this!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    If I’m reading your stats correctly you are really close to if not already a healthy weight for your height. So the weight will come off very slowly. I’m not great at converting metric. So my math may be off a bit. But your current rate of loss sounds appropriate and you’ll likely have a few plateaus along they way.
  • rwnhz
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I agree with others about checking your logging, and if you're not, weigh your food on a scale. I was shocked at how things like an apple I thought was small had over half more calories than I thought. Same goes for what I thought was a tablespoon of coffee cream or the worst, how small a serving of peanut butter is! These things definitely add up, especially when trying to stay at 1200 calories!

I plateaued for a month, it was real frustrating to weigh myself and go up a pound or weigh the same. I'm at 1200 calories before exercise calories too. I kept to my WOE and exercise even though I was discouraged. Eventually the scale started moving again and I'm back on track now. Hang in there, you got this!

Thanks, it's nice to see that we're not alone in there ! I'll definitely keep going and hopefully the scale will start going down again !
  • rwnhz
    If I’m reading your stats correctly you are really close to if not already a healthy weight for your height. So the weight will come off very slowly. I’m not great at converting metric. So my math may be off a bit. But your current rate of loss sounds appropriate and you’ll likely have a few plateaus along they way.

Yes that's what I thought too, the less weight you have to lose the harder it is to lose it because there's not So Much extra that you can shed off. Anyways I know I don't have that much to lose but I'd really like to go back to the weight I was before I gained it all, and hopefully gain some self-confidence along the way. But thanks, I'll remember to keep going even if he scale won't budge.