What happens after you reintroduce dairy?

Options
Nanalove2018
Nanalove2018 Posts: 283 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! A little background is I quit dairy around March. Not because I am lactose intolerant but I want to see if it affected my skin and stomach bloat. I saw a lot of people try it and they had wonderful results. I felt amazing after it as well. However, I do feel a little restricted during celebrations. Tomorrow, we have a big celebration for my sister for graduation and it is safe to say most dishes(probably all) will not be dairy free.

My question is, if I was to intake dairy tomorrow will that really drive my results through the window? Especially with regards to my skin. I was really insecure out it before :( not completely sure if me quitting dairy was the entire cause of my acne going away but I'm not sure about the risk.

I know it's pretty trial and error but personal experiences if you have any!

Thank you all for your time in advance. 😊

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think retrying is the only way you can find out what happens after you reintroduce dairy.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Try and see. You might want to reintroduce types of dairy one by one, as they may not all have the same effect. I assume tomorrow might be butter and ice cream?
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I’ve gone off dairy a few times (breastfeeding babies with milk protein intolerance). I was always watching for reactions in my babies, so I never paid much attention to what it did to me.

I did notice a reduction in bloating and better energy off of dairy. But none of the changes were significant enough for me to cut it permanently. Although I do eat less of it now than did before.

That all being said, what changes you will notice will be based on which parts, if any, of the dairy you have trouble with. Lactose from my understanding mostly passes through the system in a matter of days, so any effects you experience from reintroducing it will be over fast. Casein, one of the proteins, on the other hand can hang out in your system for up to two weeks, which is what my babies had issues with. Skin reactions were the first sign that they had been exposed. The more dairy I ate, the longer the reaction would last. So since better skin is what you’ve noticed depending on how much dairy you plan to consume, you may stay broken out for a week or more.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I try not to have too much dairy because I tend to be slightly lactose intolerant. Sometimes I'm fine, but I never know. I don't drink milk or eat much cheese, but I do eat some yogurt. I haven't noticed that it makes me break out.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Quitting dairy did zero too help my acne when I was younger.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I can't imagine you noticing anything with a 3-month absence of dairy then resumption of consumption.

I don't know if you're thinking of a FODMAP program. It's a system of discovering which foods aggravate your nuisance conditions. Even as there is a lot of online information about it, you should only engage in that experiment under proper medical supervision.
  • Nanalove2018
    Nanalove2018 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll see tomorrow if I want to take the risk but if I do its wont be too outrageous.
  • MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Last time I reintroduced dairy, I ended up in urgent care. Dairy's going to stay gone.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the reactions are all over the map.

I've never totally quit dairy -- but I know when I didn't eat any meat for over 1 year and then reintroduced, there were absolutely no problems or issues for me. Meanwhile I know people who say they would literally throw up if they tried to eat a hamburger after 6 months of going vegetarian. So mileage does vary I guess!

Best of luck!
  • conker6g9holla
    conker6g9holla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try it and if it comes back get back on ur job! Have fun tho! At least for that event u know ur at ur best.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to reintroduce. But I would take it easy. I wouldn't eat every dairy food at the celebration. Choose one or two that really call to you and see how you feel the next day.

I don't think one time will aggravate your acne, it takes consistency for mine to flare up, but everyone's different.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I would probably not dive right in to a dairy-laced splurge meal if it were me personally, it may be too much for your system to handle after having no dairy for nearly 3 months. I'm obviously late on this so I don't know what you ended up doing, but in the future, I'd look into reintroducing different types of dairy one at time and finding out which ones you may have a reaction to. I personally am Lactose Intolerant so can handle things like hard cheeses and heavy cream and butter, but can't do milk, ice cream, etc. I introduced things one at a time waiting a week between as it can take several days for a reaction to show up if you have an intolerance or allergy.