Roller Derby?

Options
Hello, forumers.

I've tripped, skidded, and tumbled my way into the world of Roller Derby. After a two-hour practice that leaves me drenched in sweat (in a practice warehouse in Texas that feels more like a sauna), the girls all do a 20-min workout (mountain climbers, lunges, dips, etc.) -- it wasn't too long before I began to think this was a *heck of an exercise.

Have any of you women (or, men) found weight loss through Roller Derby? I'd be hard not to lose weight, I'd think, with a steady diet, but I do know that the more fit women of the league work out on their own. I've already lost 45 pounds and am just looking to tone. Any girls with experience? I'd love to know.

Of course, I'm sure it's hard to balance with all of those celebratory drinks/pizzas in the after parties. :)

*edited for language.

Replies

• Boudica_61
    Options
    I started derby a bit over 2 years ago, and at 30 years old I'm fitter and stronger than I have ever been. I know that I've definitely lost fat and gained muscle. For me the other big benefit of derby has been the way it's changed the way I think about my body. I'm more concerned now about making sure I eat enough to maintain and build muscle so that I can do the things I want to do on the track, and less concerned about a number on a scale.

I hope you continue with it, good luck! :)
  • taylornonnac
    Options
    I've always wanted to do roller derby!! I actually tried to sign up a few months ago but I missed the age requirement since you have to be 18 and I'm 17. I'm definitely going to do it in college though, it looks like such a blast!
    But to actually answer your question, I obviously can't provide any stories of experience but I think that you would burn a ton of calories but also tone your legs and other parts of your body. I've been to several roller derby events and it looks like a lot of hard work. Not only do you have to keep your legs moving at all times, but the movement also engages the core. Also since it's a pretty brutal sport (depending on what position you play), you'll be using your upper body to push and shove your way through the other players.
    I have seen derby girls that are a good bit overweight though (my city's team has quite a few), and I don't really understand how that is really possible. Like you said, practices are intense, and the games are too!
  • jsrose615
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the world of Roller Derby! I joined last December. I know many of my teammates have weightloss stories and some even struggle to keep weight on in order to be a strong force on the team. I personally recently joined crossfit as a way to increase my strength and agility. I know many skaters take speed skating classes and workout at the gym or home improve their game. There are also many roller derby specific workout DVDs. I have one by Carmen Getsome from the Rat City . I definitely recommend it. Hope that helps.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump for my partner for she is a derby girl
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi I joined my league april 2012 and it is awesome for burning calories! I can burn anywhere between 700 and 1500 cals in a session. I wear a HRM this helps! Derby is da bomb!
  • crashmandi
    crashmandi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I joined my league april 2012 and it is awesome for burning calories! I can burn anywhere between 700 and 1500 cals in a session. I wear a HRM this helps! Derby is da bomb!

It totally is!

I wear a HRM also and yeah major burn at times. But to tone up, I'd suggest your own program on the side. If you're really keen on making it derby specific, take a look at Booty Quakes website: rollerderbyathletics.com
  • AMarlene
    AMarlene Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to see some Derby girls on here- I joined my local team 6 months ago today- still Fresh Meat- those laps are killing me- I haven't really lost weight yet but lost some inches...I have been very inconsistent with my weight loss & use of this site- but I am pretty sure my laps will come if I shed a few pounds- so I'm back!!
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to see some Derby girls on here- I joined my local team 6 months ago today- still Fresh Meat- those laps are killing me- I haven't really lost weight yet but lost some inches...I have been very inconsistent with my weight loss & use of this site- but I am pretty sure my laps will come if I shed a few pounds- so I'm back!!

That's awesome that you have lost inches! That means you've lost fat and gained muscle! :bigsmile:

The thing with mfp is it definitely works but only if you're consistent with logging your food and exercise. I recommend getting some scale to weigh everything possible if you don't already have some.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I want to try! Where in houston is this place? How do you go about joining and what's the price?
  • BlairinSieren
    BlairinSieren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hulloh all! Circle City Party Crasher here. I just started last August. I was a total newbie. I couldn't even lift my feet off the ground to do a crossover. I haven't really noticed a lot of weight loss in the past year, just toner muscles. Now that I've got all the basic skills down, I've noticed that I still need to up my game. I just did the Insanity Speed and Agility DVD. Kicked my @**. I typically do a lot of Booty Quake's work outs. She's got a blog called roller derby athletics. I've enjoyed her videos so far, cause she explains what each exercise can improve in your game.
  • BlairinSieren
    BlairinSieren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    guess I should have read the thread better! crashmandi suggested booty quake too! :happy:
  • elisegeringer
    elisegeringer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I'm fresh meat on a team in Cheyenne, Wyoming. We're just rec but we push really hard, and in just a few months I've gained a lot of strength and stamina :) I've decided to start working out in addition to practice with cardio and weights training.
  • totallizaster
    Options
    I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life and I fully credit that to roller derby. At first just playing the sport got me in awesome shape and now it's also my motivation to cross train. Going to the gym? Boring. But doing exercises with the thought "this will make me stronger, this will make me hit harder and stay up longer" ... that makes things more fun!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yes please!!! Any Roller Derby available in NYC area?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Not roller derby, only because I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't anything around, but I LOVE roller blading and I go every week. It's helped a LOT by bumping up my calorie burns.