Am I overweight?

Options
I’m a 5’10 20 year old female and weight 12 and a half stone? Do I need to lose weight?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nope. Do you lift weights?
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nah
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, your BMI is 25.1 which is on the cusp between healthy and overweight - actually slightly into the overweight range.

If you are large boned, muscular, and athletic, this may be a good weight for you. If you are small boned and have no muscle, it could mean you would be better off losing fat.

You’re 20 which for a lot of young women is about when they start having to pay attention to what they eat or pack on the pounds - the classic “freshman fifteen.” Partly this is because they may be eating at home less, and doing different activities. My suggestion for you would be just to put this on your radar - start making sure you get enough activity, eat well, don’t overeat. Depending on what you’ve been doing up until now, just paying a little more attention to diet and exercise may cause you to drop a few pounds. It’s better to form good habits now than to wake up five years from now and notice you have gained a bunch of weight.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say? Do you have any physical or mental health concerns that are related to weight or eating?

Barring any health conditions, if you’re unhappy with your appearance, you might start strength training rather than focusing on weight loss.