How did you determine your goal weight?

Options
I’m 47, 5’2”, female. I’ve been overweight my whole life (born 10 lbs 10 oz). When I was in the 150-160 lb range, I set a goal of 145... I maintained that for a long time, thrilled that I was was a better weight. Later, I set a goal of 125... and miraculously got there (ok, not really “miraculously” — it was CICO — but going from a size 14-16 to a size 2-4 was pretty incredible!). I maintained that for nearly a decade (give or take a few lbs). Each time I get to my goal, I’m happy there and think I look and feel good, then I’ll drop a few lbs and think, “this is even better — I never thought I could look this good or achieve this weight”. Now I’m 114 lbs (yes, purposeful weight loss through healthy means) and think I look and feel better than ever. I’ve established for myself really good habits in terms of eating and exercise.... but I wonder if 110 might not be an even better weight for me. The normal BMI for my height has a range of 102-135 lbs — which is a huge range. I’d like to target a number and be within +/- 5 lbs. So my question is how did you figure out your ideal goal weight?

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'm also aiming for the middle of my healthy BMI.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I had most of my life (15-50ish) maintained a weight around 105lbs.
    I probably see-sawed up and down a bit, don’t know, rarely weighed myself, but never enough to go up a clothing size.

I put on 30lbs after buying a car and getting lazy.

My goal was to return to my usual 105lbs.

I never knew about BMI until I had returned to my ‘normal’ weight, so that didn’t influence my decision. I maintain at a BMI of between 19-20, low for a lot of people, but normal for me.

Oddly I always think of my goal weight as 7st 7lbs even though I’ve been in Canada for decades.

Don’t forget, if you go lower and don’t like it, you can always reverse back up to a number or body composition you do like.

You say you have a good exercise routine, have you thought of doing a recomp instead of, or before, dropping more weight? Not discouraging, just forwarding an alternate.

Cheers, h.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the one that I feel that I looked best at before I gained weight due to illness.
    I'm just about 2lbs up from that now so once I've knocked that off I'll see if I want to go a little bit lower.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I just kept going, with provisional goals and readjustments, until I got to a place that felt good and looked right to me. This wouldn't be a great approach for any/everyone, but as someone who's fairly body confident (was even when obese), and not very appearance-oriented, I didn't think I'd get myself into too much trouble. Also, I was consulting with my doctor along the way, for another reality check.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I essentially picked within 10 pounds of the weight that I was when I was rock climbing competitively. Said weight would have my BMI at around 23.5. Once I'm there I'll see how I feel.
  • hiimok
    hiimok Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for the lower end of the BMI scale (just so I have some wriggle room in maintenance when Christmas or a holiday hits) but I'm worried about your thought process. A size 2-4 is already very small and I would be careful about the reason why you want to lose so much weight.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all! I like how I look, and will see how I feel at 110lbs. I can always gain a bit if I think I’m getting too skinny but trust me — with a BMI of 21, I look good, but am just curious if whether a few more lbs might look better. I also lift and so have muscle definition (particularly in my 💪) but will look into recomp as well. I had thought there might have been a formula based on frame size (however one figures that out) that people may be aware of so thought I’d ask but it sounds like people just pick a number they either remember from before or mid-low BMI which is what I did. Thanks again for the responses!
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Just found this on google and thought I’d post in case anyone was asking the same question... https://healthyeater.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator. Off to measure my wrist size!
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I kept it simple.
    My intitial goal weight was top of BMI range. Once I was there I kept it there for a bit and decided that I wanted to be in the middle of the BMI range at 22,5. For me that was 56kg.
    I have had that as my goal and maintenance weight for 4 respectively 2 years now. My range is 55-57 and that works like a charm in maintenance.
    I have been shaping (weights/running/etc) since I got to my goal weight and to be honest I am now looking more athletic than I ever held possible.

I just checked the calculator that @achagpar noted above and its outcome is exactly the same as what I had determined myself
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    achagpar wrote: »
    Just found this on google and thought I’d post in case anyone was asking the same question... https://healthyeater.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator. Off to measure my wrist size!

I’ve never really understood this...one of the places that makes me particularly notice weight gain/loss is my wrists. The link that comes out of and into my watch when my weight varies is larger than the quarter inch in this calculator that would put me from small frame to large frame.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    achagpar wrote: »

Those "calculators" aren't very definitive, because people's proportions vary.

My wrist and elbow measurements are large and medium even when I'm thin, because I have giant hands (size 10 ring finger at 5'5" and BMI 20 for heaven's sake!) and sturdy arms.

But my pelvic width is narrow (built like a 14-year-old boy despite being a 63 year old woman) and I have no breasts (literally: post bilateral mastectomy).

My wrists say I should be at the higher end of BMI range. The actual body parts that really require meat to be wrapped around them are small, so in reality I belong at the lower end of the BMI range.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yep...I agree so much with AnnPT77 about these types of measurements. I'm just the opposite, though.
    Even when I was at my heaviest weight (over 300 lb!) I had TINY wrists and ankles, now at an average weight I need children's bracelets and watch bands and can wear normal bracelets as anklets. Size 4 ring is not even snug. However I'm tall and my hips, on the other hand, are still very broad even when I can feel the bones and don't have a ton of fat covering them, and even my rib cage is also wide. Bodies are built so differently.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,607 Member
    Options
    The BMI healthy range denotes a range of weight in which most people of a certain height are not facing extra health risks.

It does not at all follow that this complete range is equally healthy in terms of risks at all points for any single individual.

For me at 5ft 7", maybe 154 pounds is my lowest health risk point. For Roberta also at 5ft 7" maybe a hundred and forty five pounds is her lowest health risk point. (Or not, we don't actually know whether our "preference" for a weight also results in lower risks)

If she and I flip our weights our health risks will not be at the lowest for each of us as ndividuals!

But in general, out of a million people who are 5 foot 7", people who happen to be 154 lb or 145 lb do not face increased health risks as compared to people who are more than a hundred and seventy pounds for example. Or less than 125 or whatever the bottom end is for my height.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me my goal weight is always around the same range, but it changes based on my body composition. The more muscle I have the higher I can go while still being lean.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After 40 years of dieting failure I stopped dieting to lose weight in 2014 and had no concrete goal weight. My goal was only to improve my health (cut out my Ankylosing Spondylitis related pain) and health markers. Without a goal weight but working to get better labs and health I drifted on down 50 pounds and still with no goal weight I have maintained that 50 pound loss for the past 4 years tracking health and health markers results and eating all I want to get full at each meal but there was no meal timing. After the cravings stopped the binging stopped and both the pain and weight dropped without thinking about either. When I think about calories limits I stay hungry it seems but with my mind freed from weight loss goals food no longer defined who I was it seemed.

Everyone one is different and what is best for each is to find the way that works for us and forget the WOE's of others and there are more than one Way Of Eating out there for sure.