carbs addict

Options

Replies

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and have to restrict carbs. When I eat at a Syrian restaurant in my town, I have rice and pita, just less. For dipping hummus and baba ganoush I like to use slices of cucumber or radish instead of bread. I will eat half a pita instead of a whole one and put the rest of my food on a salad. Also, to lower carbs in Arabic desserts, adding less syrup, sugar, or honey and increasing the amount of nuts and seeds works for me. I am very lucky that the chef at the restaurant I go to helps me figure out how to eat a proper amount of carbs for my illness, and still enjoy his food!

Ooh baba ganoush - now thats a nice food ! Filling too !
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    so you don't feel 'deprived' I'd do some 'research' on substitutions - cauliflower crust (for wraps/pizza, etc., ); cauliflower 'rice'; Keto type bread items (almond flour bread/flat breads. Egg white 'cloud bread'); shirataki noodles/spiralized veggies; quinoa instead of rice,etc.,

Fill up with lots of veggies instead too will help fill you up for sure

Thank you for your efforts, although almond flour is expensive and I can't use it every day
    cauliflower maybe is an option although its taste and smell is wired
    But I'll try it, and I'll search for the egg white bread because I never heard about it.
    Thanks.

you can also mix all the above up. eat a small portion of real rice mixed in with cauliflower rice to add bulk. smaller portions of bread that is not as high calorie (not to say low calorie bread but some breads are more calorie dense as you metnioned earlier). not having bread with ALL meals.

thank you, i'll try it for sure, mixing is a great idea!
    and the cauliflower rice never heard about it before, i think it's easy to prepare too.

You can make your own cauliflower rice.

But you may be able to buy it ready made - here it is available in both frozen and fresh versions, ready made.

where? in Egypt?

Any Safeway in CA, fresh and frozen.
  • dododididada
    dododididada Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    so you don't feel 'deprived' I'd do some 'research' on substitutions - cauliflower crust (for wraps/pizza, etc., ); cauliflower 'rice'; Keto type bread items (almond flour bread/flat breads. Egg white 'cloud bread'); shirataki noodles/spiralized veggies; quinoa instead of rice,etc.,

Thank you for your efforts, although almond flour is expensive and I can't use it every day
    But I'll try it, and I'll search for the egg white bread because I never heard about it.
    Thanks.

you can also mix all the above up. eat a small portion of real rice mixed in with cauliflower rice to add bulk. smaller portions of bread that is not as high calorie (not to say low calorie bread but some breads are more calorie dense as you metnioned earlier). not having bread with ALL meals.

and the cauliflower rice never heard about it before, i think it's easy to prepare too.

But you may be able to buy it ready made - here it is available in both frozen and fresh versions, ready made.

where? in Egypt?

Any Safeway in CA, fresh and frozen.

CA means California!!
    I'm from Egypt, I didn't heard about it in the stores or supermarkets!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For the cauliflower, you can buy it fresh then cook it and mash it.

I have one of these rice-maker things, don't know if they sell them in Egypt, but you could do the same thing by pushing cooked cauliflower through a metal colander - a "ricer" is like a big garlic press:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/news/food-tool-friday-potato-ricer-is-multipurpose-marvel-0159668/

nwrfwfi7tkqy.png

• dododididada
    Options
    For the cauliflower, you can buy it fresh then cook it and mash it.

I have one of these rice-maker things, don't know if they sell them in Egypt, but you could do the same thing by pushing cooked cauliflower through a metal colander - a "ricer" is like a big garlic press:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/news/food-tool-friday-potato-ricer-is-multipurpose-marvel-0159668/

nwrfwfi7tkqy.png

Thank you, yes! we have it!
    I guess, something like a metallic hand presser that we mash the potato with! Will be similar to it!
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    In the Arab world we eat alot of carbs in every single meal, like rice, white bread, dark bread and pasta, we are simply carbs addict, even eggs we eat it with bread.
    Can anyone help me how to cut off carbs from every meal and feel full at the same time because I can't fell it without eating bread with every meal!

This week on BBC2 they've started repeating the Nigel Slater cookery programme where he visits the Middle East. Last night was the Lebanon, tonight Turkey.

I am only 5 weeks into, what I hope will be, the very last time I lose weight. My first goal is 1lb a week until next August to lose 63lb and I have lost 12 of those already. After that another 3 stone will still need to go (and that will still leave me overweight but never mind)

However 'carby' type food is my weakness and trigger. All he kept going into were people's houses and small little street food places where it was bread, bread, pastry, rice, bread bread (you get the picture).

All I kept thinking was that I need to plan a 'foodie' trip to the Lebanon for 2 weeks where I can eat all of this food.

it was unbearable, I dont know how I managed to watch the same thing tonight. It was worse because he was in the North of Turkey where their speciality is filled bread, this particular house/bakery filling it with cheese and butter like a soup in a crusty bowl as he described it. I know I would have eaten the whole thing.

However in answer to your question. I have to cut these things out myself, I try to fill up on fat and protein bulked out with vegetables, warming comforting veg like tomatoes and garlic or I do allow quinoa and I also eat ryvita.

If you can manage about 3 days without it, swapping it for something else or something much less dense, then you'll start to want it less and then over time, less than that.
  • dododididada
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    In the Arab world we eat alot of carbs in every single meal, like rice, white bread, dark bread and pasta, we are simply carbs addict, even eggs we eat it with bread.
    Can anyone help me how to cut off carbs from every meal and feel full at the same time because I can't fell it without eating bread with every meal!

This week on BBC2 they've started repeating the Nigel Slater cookery programme where he visits the Middle East. Last night was the Lebanon, tonight Turkey.

I am only 5 weeks into, what I hope will be, the very last time I lose weight. My first goal is 1lb a week until next August to lose 63lb and I have lost 12 of those already. After that another 3 stone will still need to go (and that will still leave me overweight but never mind)

However 'carby' type food is my weakness and trigger. All he kept going into were people's houses and small little street food places where it was bread, bread, pastry, rice, bread bread (you get the picture).

All I kept thinking was that I need to plan a 'foodie' trip to the Lebanon for 2 weeks where I can eat all of this food.

it was unbearable, I dont know how I managed to watch the same thing tonight. It was worse because he was in the North of Turkey where their speciality is filled bread, this particular house/bakery filling it with cheese and butter like a soup in a crusty bowl as he described it. I know I would have eaten the whole thing.

However in answer to your question. I have to cut these things out myself, I try to fill up on fat and protein bulked out with vegetables, warming comforting veg like tomatoes and garlic or I do allow quinoa and I also eat ryvita.

If you can manage about 3 days without it, swapping it for something else or something much less dense, then you'll start to want it less and then over time, less than that.

Lol! Yes, that's my world! Made up of bread, yummy different kinds of bread, and the stuffed bread is my weakness too and also macaroni with bashamele, stuffed vegetables with rice,... and alot more!
    They even made a pizza in a closed bread and it's amazing!!

I've tried the last week and I replaced it with brown toast! It was -surprisingly- full filling, especially on breakfast and dinner!

The lunch is still my weakest point, now!
    Replacing the lunch carbs like rice, macaroni, pasta, .. turned out to be much harder than replacing the bread!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

Thanks.

where? in Egypt?

No, in Australia. That is my 'here'

I have no idea if it is available ready made in Egypt and I did not know where you were anyway - that's why I said you MAY be able to - but worth looking in your supermarket or general stores if you are interested in trying it.
    It may be there ready made.

• nooboots
    Options
    Well Nigel is back on telly tonight and now he is in Iran. Apparently Iranians eat more bread than anywhere else in the world. 6x more than any other country.
  • dododididada
    Options

Thanks.

where? in Egypt?

No, in Australia. That is my 'here'

I have no idea if it is available ready made in Egypt and I did not know where you were anyway - that's why I said you MAY be able to - but worth looking in your supermarket or general stores if you are interested in trying it.
    It may be there ready made.

I'll try to search in a bigger city than mine!
    Some guys tell me how to do it too! I'll give it a try!
    thank you!
  • dododididada
    Options
    Well Nigel is back on telly tonight and now he is in Iran. Apparently Iranians eat more bread than anywhere else in the world. 6x more than any other country.

Lol, no, wait till he visits Egypt!
    Egypt is the country of pharaohs, Mo Salah and bread too!

Why are you watching those kind of programs while going on a diet?
    That's hilarious!
    :smiley:
    You are gonna lose control and catch the bread curse!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

That whole part of the world eats more bread than the rest of the world. I kind of like it because I get to eat freshly baked bread whenever I want without having to bake it myself. You basically go and buy it still hot.
  • nooboots
    Options

That's hilarious!

I know its terrible. Ive been to Egypt a couple of times many years ago, it was during Ramadan one of the times and at sunset we got invited by random strangers on the street to come and eat with them. It was lovely.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options

That whole part of the world eats more bread than the rest of the world. I kind of like it because I get to eat freshly baked bread whenever I want without having to bake it myself. You basically go and buy it still hot.

Omg I want that experience so bad!!
  • dododididada
    Options

That's hilarious!

I know its terrible. Ive been to Egypt a couple of times many years ago, it was during Ramadan one of the times and at sunset we got invited by random strangers on the street to come and eat with them. It was lovely.

Yeah! The hospitality and warmness of the Egyptians is endless!
  • dododididada
    Options

Omg I want that experience so bad!!

Lol, We have this experience 24/7
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go keto to lose weight. It's very hard for most people to sustain that long-term, so then once you eat carbs again the weight can creep back.

Carbs aren't a bad habit--most people eat like 40-50% of their calories from carbs. It's fine. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than you consume. So instead of rice and bread, maybe just choose one and then load up with more veggies and protein. Weigh your food with a scale and look at nutrition information. If it's homemade food, calculate calories through the recipe builder. Experiment and see if complex carbs like sweet potatoes or wholemeal bread keeps you fuller longer. It's good to have a decent macro split (carbs/fat/protein) to keep you satisfied and nourished, but you could literally eat nothing but potatoes and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. You'd just probably not feel all that great.

yes, it's true, keto is very hard especially for a beginner like me, i'll search for a dark bread or a whole grain bread as it contains less calories than the normal white bread.
    it turned out to be not a bad habit after all, as you guys all said, thank you so much.

Dark/whole grain bread doesn't often have less calories, it just has more fibre and sometimes protein so it tends to keep you fuller.

I searched now and I found that the Egyptian bread contains 250-300 calories while other kinds of breads like toast contains 70-80 calories, it's a big difference.
    I didn't know that, I thought it was only 150 calories, I'm shocked.

It depends on how big the bread is. If you compare a tiny slice of toast with a big flat bread, then yes, the toast will have less calories as it's smaller. Some bread in the Arab world is also made with oil, which adds a lot of calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and have to restrict carbs. When I eat at a Syrian restaurant in my town, I have rice and pita, just less. For dipping hummus and baba ganoush I like to use slices of cucumber or radish instead of bread. I will eat half a pita instead of a whole one and put the rest of my food on a salad. Also, to lower carbs in Arabic desserts, adding less syrup, sugar, or honey and increasing the amount of nuts and seeds works for me. I am very lucky that the chef at the restaurant I go to helps me figure out how to eat a proper amount of carbs for my illness, and still enjoy his food!

Oh man! Now I want to be back in the Middle East where I lived for a while and eat ALL the lovely food again. There at least I found the food fairly heavy in protein and fats, like hummus, salads with lots of oil, foul medames, labneh. And lots of fresh fish <3
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You don't need to go keto to lose weight. It's very hard for most people to sustain that long-term, so then once you eat carbs again the weight can creep back.

Carbs aren't a bad habit--most people eat like 40-50% of their calories from carbs. It's fine. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than you consume. So instead of rice and bread, maybe just choose one and then load up with more veggies and protein. Weigh your food with a scale and look at nutrition information. If it's homemade food, calculate calories through the recipe builder. Experiment and see if complex carbs like sweet potatoes or wholemeal bread keeps you fuller longer. It's good to have a decent macro split (carbs/fat/protein) to keep you satisfied and nourished, but you could literally eat nothing but potatoes and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. You'd just probably not feel all that great.

yes, it's true, keto is very hard especially for a beginner like me, i'll search for a dark bread or a whole grain bread as it contains less calories than the normal white bread.
    it turned out to be not a bad habit after all, as you guys all said, thank you so much.

Dark/whole grain bread doesn't often have less calories, it just has more fibre and sometimes protein so it tends to keep you fuller.

I searched now and I found that the Egyptian bread contains 250-300 calories while other kinds of breads like toast contains 70-80 calories, it's a big difference.
    I didn't know that, I thought it was only 150 calories, I'm shocked.

It depends on how big the bread is. If you compare a tiny slice of toast with a big flat bread, then yes, the toast will have less calories as it's smaller. Some bread in the Arab world is also made with oil, which adds a lot of calories.

You are correct. Gram per gram the calories are comparable for most kinds of bread. That's why I usually eat by weight. Around 70 grams of bread is just right for my usual meals. That's about 180 calories, half a round of our typical flatbread, 2 thick slices of loaf bread, or about 1 slice of Russian Borodinsky rye bread (it's dense so it weighs more). All unflavored breads I ever had ranged between 170 and 190 calories for that portion, which isn't that big of a difference.
  • dododididada
    Options
    I'm back again! fell free to add me! 👋