Lost weight, failed, put back on and more!

EmmMonday
EmmMonday Posts: 1 Member
Hi guys!
So I've decided to try counting calories instead of doing the weightless clubs as it got my head into a really bad place - I did lose like 3 stone but then life got worse and I got too focused on all the bad things and too much in my head.
I've started going to the gym at my work and got a guy who works there who's going to help me. I'm going to weigh every couple of weeks but I'm nervous. Counting Calories scares me!

I'd love any motivational stories you have or how you decide what you're going to eat!
I'm so disgusted in myself it's unbelievable, when I stopped on the scales and saw how much I weighed, I could have died.

Please feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Why does counting calories scare you? I’d recommend that you scroll through the threads on this forum and read all the “stickies” at the top of each page to educate yourself about counting calories and losing weight.
  • Toaster05
    Toaster05 Posts: 20 Member
    edited May 2019
    I think you need to give yourself a bit of credit. You say you've lost weight before? 3 stone is a fantastic loss and one I'd be happy to achieve myself. The fact you've done it before should be all the proof you need to yourself that you got this.

Don't think of it as counting and think more of it as a way to be accountable for your intake vs exercise.

That's what I do. If I thought I was simply counting calories then I'd just give up.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    I think counting calories is the easiest of any diet out there, in my opinion. There are no restrictions and all you have to do is log and count. I understand how you feel- this is my second time back and I was so disappointed that I let myself gain weight after having a great loss
  • andISeeMyFitness
    andISeeMyFitness Posts: 16 Member
    I think the only way to success, in the long run, is to change your lifestyle so that eating healthy (and less) comes naturally. None of the diets can do this for you. Diets can help you get a headstart but no one wants to be on a diet forever. That's why I also like to use diets that are less dramatic and very close to what you can sustain forever.

That being said, it's hard. It's not easy to change your habits and it doesn't happen overnight. Counting calories will definitely help and you can count your calories from time to time to actually check how much you're taking in. And counting calories is super easy with MFP so don't be afraid of it. It also makes you eat less because it takes an effort to count the calories. At least it made me eat food with fewer ingredients :)

Sorry if I demotivate you, that's not my intention. I'd like to see people switch their mindset from dieting to a healthier lifestyle.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I agree that counting calories is not hard at all. Once you get into it you will find you start to just know what you can eat and what is gonna be expensive calorically. I did all the crazy diets over my lifetime and quit and regained over and over until I finally realized I had to find something I could live with for life. I lost over 100 lbs eating well and walking for exercise. I think we make it too hard.

@andISeeMyFitness is right. It's all about changing your lifestyle in a way you can live with. I still log over a year and a half after my loss. I do that to stay on track. It takes a few minutes a day and I hardly even notice it anymore.

If you are going to the gym and lifting weights that's wonderful and very smart to maintain muscle mass. That's my one regret that I didn't start lifting at the beginning. You'll do fine. As others have said you've already proven you can do it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    EmmMonday wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    So I've decided to try counting calories instead of doing the weightless clubs as it got my head into a really bad place - I did lose like 3 stone but then life got worse and I got too focused on all the bad things and too much in my head.
    I've started going to the gym at my work and got a guy who works there who's going to help me. I'm going to weigh every couple of weeks but I'm nervous. Counting Calories scares me!

I'd love any motivational stories you have or how you decide what you're going to eat!
    I'm so disgusted in myself it's unbelievable, when I stopped on the scales and saw how much I weighed, I could have died.

Please feel free to add me! :)

How I decide what I'm going to eat:

Breakfast is nearly always greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and frozen berries.

Lunch is a protein I prepped on Sunday, usually chicken or venison. I have salad, or make a wrap, or add a veggie side.

Dinner is dinner with the family.

I log everything I'm going to eat before breakfast. Then I can look at my daily numbers and decide if I can/want to add a treat into my day. Usually the treat is half a pint of Halo Top after dinner, but not always.