Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Mugs203 wrote: »
    Hoping to get some advice.
    Trying to lose weight and MFP says I shoud be eating 1200 calories per day. I like to workout and can burn 500-600 per day in spin class or on elliptical machine etc. Because my calories are low to begin with, I am not sure if I should be eating back those calories. What are your thoughts?

Others have already explained how MFP works. The calories given to you do not include exercise. That being said, given that you are lighter and less tall (I am also 5'2"), the MFP floor for calorie recommendations is 1200, so you might find that if you set your loss rate to less, you might still end up with 1200, or close to it. Eat at least 50% of your calories back (there are both estimation errors and logging errors that can complicate the process) until you see how it is working for you. Then adjust based on your results (give it 4-6 weeks to see the overall trend, a weight trending app can be very helpful for this).
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yes, you should definitely eat the calories back, or else you will be way under a healthy goal for the day and it won't be sustainable and could lead to negative health consequences. The way MFP, unlike some other plans, works is by setting a goal for days on which you do not exercise.

That said, at your weight 500-600 seems like a lot for a spin class or elliptical session, at least if we are talking 60 min or less. I'd start by eating back about 2/3-3/4 of the calories.

I lost a good bit of weight eating 1250+exercise calories (MFP gave me 1200, but I didn't like that it would say I was undereating at 1195 and overeating at 1205, so I gave myself some leeway). Once I was convinced that my exercise was pretty consistent from week to week I just raised my goal and didn't eat back exercise calories, but with the MFP 1200 goal, please do eat them back.

I also would not aim for more than 1 lb/week loss, but at your height and weight you easily could get 1200 even with only 1 lb, especially if you said sedentary (if you are at all active, for example walk 5000+ steps or more before workout, you should probably be lightly active rather than sedentary, however).

I agree with the calorie burns. I'm heavier than you and I need to push super hard in a one hour spin class to burn 600 calories. This means staying in the top HR zone (level 5 on Polar) for 20 minutes and the second top (level 4) for about 30 mins, so not much recovery at all.

However you need to find a balance that you can maintain. There's no point going too hard in the beginning and not maintaining this lifestyle forever.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP others have already covered how MFP is designed to work and why you’re meant to eat back exercise calories if you use MFP to set up your goal.

For what it’s worth I’m 5’2 and started about 5 lbs heavier than you, lost down to my goal weight of 125 eating between 1600-1900 (total) cals per day with my net goal being 1400-1700 during that time period. I lost a pretty predictable 1 lb/week for 5 months and then increased my goal and got a FitBit to lose 0.5 lbs/week for the next several months. It took me about a year and ended up shifting to maintenance at around 120 lbs.
  • piddings1951
    piddings1951 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started out like you targeting 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise calories. I ended up getting physically tired all the time. I ended up moving my target up to 1300 and then 1400. With moderate exercise i still lost a half pound a week. I felt a lot better. It just took longer. I an 5’2 and 122. (Now)
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hoping to get some advice.
    Trying to lose weight and MFP says I shoud be eating 1200 calories per day. I like to workout and can burn 500-600 per day in spin class or on elliptical machine etc. Because my calories are low to begin with, I am not sure if I should be eating back those calories. What are your thoughts?

If you don't eat them back, you are probably going to feel miserable.
  • Mugs203
    Mugs203 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I use my Apple watch for calorie burn during spin and I think it's fairly accuarte -it's usually an hour long class. I know the HRM is not a perfect science but its close. (I think)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I use my Apple watch for calorie burn during spin and I think it's fairly accuarte -it's usually an hour long class. I know the HRM is not a perfect science but its close. (I think)

If you have no reason to think otherwise, go with the calorie burn you are getting from your fitness device and eat those calories back. If, after about a month or so, you have not lost close to the rate you expected then maybe lower the % of the calories you eat back.

All of this advice assumes that your food logging is accurate. make sure you weigh all solids and semi solids (like peanut butter and mayo) and measure all liquids. If you are loosey-goosey with your food, the exercise burn will appear off.
  • abetteryou082807
    abetteryou082807 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A lot of trainers have told me to take my body weight and multiply by 11.
    That's how many calories you should eat to lose weight. As you drop weights, adjust.