10,000 steps or 1 hour?

Options
I’m new at this and overweight. I started walking to lose wait. I have been working up to 10,000 steps. What I have been doing is subtracting 10,000 steps from whatever I did that day at work. Then I walk the remainder. Most of the time it’s around 2 miles. But, now I read a MyFitnessPal blog saying to exercise for 1 hour. So which is it 10,000 steps or 1 hour?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    With my stride length four miles is about 8000 steps, and takes a little over an hour.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I’m new at this and overweight. I started walking to lose wait. I have been working up to 10,000 steps. What I have been doing is subtracting 10,000 steps from whatever I did that day at work. Then I walk the remainder. Most of the time it’s around 2 miles. But, now I read a MyFitnessPal blog saying to exercise for 1 hour. So which is it 10,000 steps or 1 hour?

It depends on what you want to get out of it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With my stride length four miles is about 8000 steps, and takes a little over an hour.

This^ No way can I do 5 miles in an hour; for me that's running pace.

Don't get me wrong, activity is great. But is spending an extra half-hour just to gain steps worth the effort for you?
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It depends on what you want to get out of it.

We are all at different fitness levels. Maybe steps are all you can manage right now. But eventually you may want to increase your walking pace (for cardio benefit) and from an overall fitness stand point work in some kind of resistance training.