Back on the train, but with Keto this time.

Options
I’ve been off and on MFP for the better part of a year now, and I think I’m going to finally lose this weight. I started a Keto plan that I honestly believe I can stick to. Anyone have any experience with Keto flu? I’ve got some worries, as I’m prone to depression. Anyone get depressed when going through Keto flu?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Keto Flu is just an electrolyte imbalance. Make sure you’re getting your electrolytes and you’ll be fine.
  • GinetteHaz
    GinetteHaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been following keto for a few months and the keto flu gets better!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,331 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er mainly for reversing type II diabetes...I have lost 23 lbs. since March ...Most keto'ers up there sodium to at least 3000mg....we drink keto-ade which is water , 1 tsp lite salt and any flavor of mio...we drink broth with salt ....pickle juice.....I would suggest getting magnesium Citrate if you get leg cramps....Best of luck to you on your journey :)
  • Kevdudebro
    Kevdudebro Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I might buy some bone broth on the way home from work just in case.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Yeah, it can exacerbate depression, but there's no reason to assume it will (I have struggled with depression off and on and tried out keto for a while after I'd been eating 100-120 g carbs on average, and felt good and didn't experience keto flu, although I also was careful to increase my salt intake and I eat a lot of veg (good for potassium and magnesium). The only real symptom was less physical energy (when running up stairs or what not) for a week or so.

Just try and see.

Ultimately, I didn't have any particular benefits from keto so went back to a way of eating where I could have fruit and beans and so on, but you may find that you do.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for 3 months now, had very little keto type symptoms if any.we all react differently so heed the advice above if it comes along.ive taken no supplements and I've been fine all the way.
    It's not for everybody and I understand why, it just works for me and I'm losing weight and keeping it off.The biggest thing I've noticed is my lack of appetite these days
    Good luck