Is strength training a waste of time in a calorie deficit?

Options
Hi to those with experience and knowledge re: the gym.
I have only been a gym-goer for about a year now, and in that time have been experimenting with a combination of cardio, HIIT and strength training (body-weight exercises and resistance machines).
As I am on a weight loss journey at present, my focus is on losing body fat and toning up. I have done loads of research and I constantly come across articles and posts encouraging me to lift (heavy) weights in order to ultimately get the results I am looking for.
My understanding at a basic level is that for fat loss you need to run in a calorie deficit, and for muscle gain you need to run in a calorie surplus. Therefore if I am eating in a deficit at the moment, what strength gains am I making if any? Am I just wasting my time on 'weight-lifting' days?
I know that I have been getting some benefits from the resistance training because I am definitely stronger and have a bit more definition than I ever did before using weights, however I also have not been eating at a deficit this whole time.
I guess what I'm really asking is what kind of weekly training schedule should I stick with over the next few months to support my fat loss goals?
At the moment I flit all over the place and just do what I feel like on any given day. Most strength training programs seem to work on a minimum 5 day commitment, which is fine but if I follow this I will most definitely neglect some cardio and maybe feel weak eating in a calorie deficit.
Thanks!!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Short answer, no. As TeaBea said above preserving muscle mass in a deficit is crucial. If you are fairly new to training with weights and your deficit is small, you may even gain some muscle. You say you've been in gym and tried lots of stuff. Get on a good, progressive, full body weight training program. Start it yesterday!!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I concur with the above.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I concur with the above.

Same here.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It is at least as important if not more important in a deficit as it is other times, as it will protect your muscle mass during weight loss. It's easier to maintain the muscle mass that you have than to regain it down the line.

And even if you do not gain any actual muscle mass while in a deficit (some small beginner gains are possible in a moderate deficit if you haven't lifted before), you can certainly improve your strength in a deficit.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Oh and from personal experience, there is a definite difference in my body this g around than when I lost weight years ago with just cardio and eating less. I was a lot weaker and still had more fat on my body at a lower weight than I do now. You can still gain strength and maybe even muscle mass as you lose weight. I’ve read on these forums it’s unlikely to gain muscle mass in a deficit, but I do have certain areas that tape bigger when I measure now, even though there is definitely less fat there.

ETA - I pulled a dumbbell program from the link mentioned above and it is only 3 days a week. I normally do lifting and running on the same day just to get it all out of my way. I do occasionally feel weak when lifting (which may be the deficit or may be bc I am training for a half marathon and that’s an awful lot of running) - and while that can indeed be frustrating, I have steadily progressed to lifting heavier weights over the few months I’ve been at it. Just keep chugging basically.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I lose 2 pounds a week and have been since December. I started weight training in February, and I absolutely have gained muscle, along with fairly dramatic strides in strength. My legs, arms, traps, chest muscles are all physically larger, it isn't just appearing larger due to fat loss.

If you are fat enough to begin with, meaning your body has enough far to draw energy from without affecting muscle mass, you are getting enough protein which is supposedly 0.8 grams per pound at goal weight, and are untrained enough, it's absolutely not a waste of time. You will likely build muscle too. And you'll be more capable when you're in the situation where you really can build muscle more quickly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, but want to add this: You can make strength gains without adding new muscle fibers or muscle mass. It's from neuromuscular adaptation, basically recruiting and utilizing your existing muscle fibers more efficiently. So, even if you aren't able to add muscle mass in a deficit (might/might not), you can definitely get stronger. That strength, in itself, is useful in daily life!

So, either way, strength training while losing is beneficial.

Follow a sound strength training program, get enough protein (and reasonable nutrition overall), don't go crazy-fast with the weight loss, and your odds will be the best you can make them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "My understanding at a basic level is that for fat loss you need to run in a calorie deficit, and for muscle gain you need to run in a calorie surplus."

No you don't need a calorie surplus to build muscle, that's a very common myth that's percolated down from very advanced level bodybuilders with years of lifting behind them and whose progress has slowed to a crawl and every bit of progress takes nurturing under "perfect conditions".
    99.9% of people in the gym don't fit that description and it's depressing that it puts off people from training or starting training when in a deficit - a time when in some ways it's more crucial.

"I guess what I'm really asking is what kind of weekly training schedule should I stick with over the next few months to support my fat loss goals?"
    The same routine that would support your strength/physique goals if you weren't in a deficit.
    But....
    "At the moment I flit all over the place and just do what I feel like on any given day."
    Unlikely to be a good use of your time and effort.

"Most strength training programs seem to work on a minimum 5 day commitment."

There's plenty of 3 and 4 day routines - those extra recovery days can be very helpful when your recovery is impaired by a calorie deficit.