Do you track your steps?

Options
Does walking at least 10,000 steps per day actually make a difference in weight loss? Ive been doing it for 3 days & am not sure how long it takes to notice a difference/if there will be a difference at all.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    For the weight loss it's CICO.

However, I have found that tracking my steps has made me realise how sedentary I actually can get. When I wasn't tracking I *thought* I was getting ~10K as a normal matter of daily life course. No. It was more like ~5K.

Now, with the tracker, I find myself making that extra effort to go up the stairs, or to get off the bus a stop early to make up the 10K if need be. It has helped my NEAT levels for sure.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oh - and 3 days won't make any difference whatsoever. the whole diet/exercise thing takes ages. settle down for a long ride.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you use, regularly over a period of time.

Exercise (walking) can help you feel better and potential burn a few more calories than you do without. burning those extra calories can aid in weight loss assuming you remain in a calorie deficit. it can allow you to eat a bit more as well (burn more calories means you can eat a bit more and remain in a deficit)

i have had a fitbit for many years even before the weight loss attemps.