Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sun Tea - On counter or Refrigerator?

madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
I want some feedback on what everyone does with their tea in the summer if they make it. For example, I usually make a large dispenser of tea by brewing a few hours in the sun, then bringing it indoors.

Since it is in a large dispenser, I usually don't have enough room for it in the refrigerator, so I just keep it on the kitchen counter (after removing tea bags and adding ice). I read articles that say that this is bad and it should be constantly refrigerated.

I haven't died yet--or gotten sick, but wanted to see if anyone else opinions as I feel like I am breaking food storage rules after reading articles. Note, I can drink it all in a couple of days, three is the maximum I usually keep it if there is any left as I hate old tea.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Personally, I store it in the refrigerator, both for food safety and because I like my iced tea cold in the summer. I suspect that most of the time if you don't see mold forming, it's not going to kill you. I would think it would get awfully diluted with melting ice if you were trying to keep it cold for drinking over several days, but I assume you're managing that to your own satisfaction.

Have you considered making smaller batches more frequently? Also, you don't really need the sun. I have some Lipton plain oversized black tea bags specifically for cold brew that only take five minutes to brew in cold water inside (one bag to a quart, I think). And I make cold-brew tea all the time inside on the counter with any kind of tea or herbal tea/tisane that I want, in the same few hours that sun tea takes.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I always refrigerate it. Mainly because I prefer it very cold, but there is the food safety issue as well.
    I discovered brewing ice tea in the refrigerator last year. It works great. It takes out the butter, tannic flavor by not using heat. I make it in a quart canning jar, so there’s plenty of room in the refrigerator.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I let mine sit out on the counter for a few minutes to cool down, then keep it refrigerated. It gets a bitter taste if it's left out. I also drink a pitcher of iced tea per day, so I don't have the issue of keeping it for several days.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I boil 3 to 4 cups of water in a pot and the brew the tea bags in that then add a couple more quarts of cold water/ice. Then I store it in the refrigerator for all the above reasons.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I'm not sure how much you are making or what the size of your fridge is, but... the solution I use is to repackage into multiple pitchers (2 pitchers, and maybe a large liquid measuring cup for any spill-over) to put into the fridge.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    My Uncle old fashion way- What will be drunk in 2-3days in counter. What isn’t he stores in a smaller pitcher in the fridge. Fit what you can in the fridge.Rest serve up for 2-3days to everyone who wants a cup.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2019
    Brewed tea does go bad and sometimes fast - even refrigerated it lasts only about a week or sometimes less. Ever notice in restaurants they have expiration stickers on the tea? It's in hours - not days. Food safety.

Never know from one tea bag to the next. I'd never drink brewed tea that is stored on a counter. 🤢