Anyone competing in bodybuilding competitions?

Options
Curious how many are on here. I am guessing a lot since the app is great for tracking

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Curious how many are on here. I am guessing a lot since the app is great for tracking

I'd seen some pop in, declaring their bodybuilding interests, rarely garnering support, some curiosity, and few debates. Some are, only that they very rarely participate on the Main Board. They're more of loggers@status updates (nutrition/exercise).
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Major turn offs to competing = 1) the whole natural vs. enhanced controversies (various pros and cons of both)
    2) I think artificial tanning (practically mandatory for being competitive) and visual appearance hacks (body oil application, etc.) to "look" better under bright lights are completely stupid & misleading

heh - part of the appeal for me was the whole prancing around on stage in a bling suit and the whole tan/oil thing!!!

And it is a lot of smoke and mirrors yes. People look way bigger/buffer than they actually are in real life. Many women are actually teeny tiny. In photos they look massive though.

I'd still like to prance around in a sparkly suit, but I just don't want to starve. They should have a 'non-shredded' division. I'd enter!

Well, good news, bodybuilding has changed markedly over the past decade with various divisions where one does not need to starve him/herself to get crazy shredded/hard...Classic division, men's physique, bikini division. I believe there are even more divisions in the works to appeal to a greater amount of the general population.

Problems still with the professional levels of competition; ex) Classic & men's physique competitors are still being pushed for that shredded look (more of an issue with judging...esp with the Classic division because golden era bodybuilders did not exhibit the degree of low bodyfat % of today's competitors). One would argue a competitor with better symmetry, shape, & lines is more representative of the classic golden era physique vs. the slightly bigger competitor who is shredded but has less appealing symmetry & shape (often judges still favor this competitor which is ridiculous in my opinion). They also really need to STOP increasing the acceptable weight limit based on height (plagued also by height manipulation - problem being resolved/making height measurements more permanent)

Issue doesn't seem as problematic in bikini, but I'm sure many would want a division less cut throat competitive than figure with less emphasis on the "booty" as the bikini division warrants
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Major turn offs to competing = 1) the whole natural vs. enhanced controversies (various pros and cons of both)
    2) I think artificial tanning (practically mandatory for being competitive) and visual appearance hacks (body oil application, etc.) to "look" better under bright lights are completely stupid & misleading

heh - part of the appeal for me was the whole prancing around on stage in a bling suit and the whole tan/oil thing!!!

And it is a lot of smoke and mirrors yes. People look way bigger/buffer than they actually are in real life. Many women are actually teeny tiny. In photos they look massive though.

I'd still like to prance around in a sparkly suit, but I just don't want to starve. They should have a 'non-shredded' division. I'd enter!

Well, good news, bodybuilding has changed markedly over the past decade with various divisions where one does not need to starve him/herself to get crazy shredded/hard...Classic division, men's physique, bikini division. I believe there are even more divisions in the works to appeal to a greater amount of the general population.

Problems still with the professional levels of competition; ex) Classic & men's physique competitors are still being pushed for that shredded look (more of an issue with judging...esp with the Classic division because golden era bodybuilders did not exhibit the degree of low bodyfat % of today's competitors). One would argue a competitor with better symmetry, shape, & lines is more representative of the classic golden era physique vs. the slightly bigger competitor who is shredded but has less appealing symmetry & shape (often judges still favor this competitor which is ridiculous in my opinion). They also really need to STOP increasing the acceptable weight limit based on height (plagued also by height manipulation - problem being resolved/making height measurements more permanent)

Issue doesn't seem as problematic in bikini, but I'm sure many would want a division less cut throat competitive than figure with less emphasis on the "booty" as the bikini division warrants

Yeah true @Keto_Vampire , but for me personally, bikini is not a suitable division. I'm on the figure/physique side of musculature, and my butt has a loooooooooong way to go before it could grace the bikini stage LOL. As in, i'm that person who skips leg day whenever there is a day to skip... I shouldn't, but I do. I HATE doing glutes workouts. Soooo booooring.

I think the golden years shape is much nicer than today's My Olympia shape - but that sort of conditioning is an acquired taste for sure. Oftentimes their off season body, to me, is more attractive. However, I know the effort (and drugs) it takes to get to that level and man, it's not easy.

In the "natty" circuit here in Australia at least the competitors are more old-skool looking because (supposedly) no drugs. It's a big difference seeing comparison photos of same class different federation.

Also as someone else above spoke about they come here just to log - there is another app which I think is being used more widely by the bodybuilding community - I was introduced to it and it has separate tabs to add supplements and stuff, but I prefer MFP due to it's social aspect. This other app, which starts with a C and is related to a clock but I won't name it in case MFP kicks me off, has ability for coaches to see their client's diaries and has more micronutrient breakdowns and other stuff. But no fun and games and "freinds" like on here. It's more serious. I like the friends on here.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I'm doing my first and possibly only show April 2020 in an Natural tested federation.

I've dieted down to some place around 16% bodyfat before on my own my Gross caloric intake was 1450 and I did 6 sessions of cardio in the whole 12 weeks of cutting,
    I wasn't STARVING but I was hungry.

this go round I'm looking to come in leaner for real for real stage lean. this photo was 2 years ago. I took the opportunity to get that lean so that I could do a proper bulk. https://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/103263490

Great! good on you! what division will you compete in?

I think a big part of my fail was also related to the coach I had - I should have researched that aspect a bit more. The coach was very "my way or the highway" and "don't ask questions just do what I tell you". I like to know WHY i'm doing something because i'm not an idiot. And I like to learn. And I don't blindly believe. And i'd had another coach previously who did educate me and with whom i'd had good results (but didn't do prep with because she was moving to another country and couldn't dedicate the time/effort to coach me properly). So my calories weren't even too terribly low, but the macros split was ridiculous and therefore I was starving all the time. And the coach wouldn't listen/work with me on changing anything - it had to be the fish and asparagus and egg whites and that's it.

Sometimes I think i'd like to give it another go (using a more flexible dieting approach this time).

But not sure if I have the courage. The experience kind of scarred me and also effed around with my relationship with food.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first and possibly only show April 2020 in an Natural tested federation.

I've dieted down to some place around 16% bodyfat before on my own my Gross caloric intake was 1450 and I did 6 sessions of cardio in the whole 12 weeks of cutting,

this go round I'm looking to come in leaner for real for real stage lean. this photo was 2 years ago. I took the opportunity to get that lean so that I could do a proper bulk. https://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/103263490

I think a big part of my fail was also related to the coach I had - I should have researched that aspect a bit more. The coach was very "my way or the highway" and "don't ask questions just do what I tell you". I like to know WHY i'm doing something because i'm not an idiot. And I like to learn. And I don't blindly believe. And i'd had another coach previously who did educate me and with whom i'd had good results (but didn't do prep with because she was moving to another country and couldn't dedicate the time/effort to coach me properly). So my calories weren't even too terribly low, but the macros split was ridiculous and therefore I was starving all the time. And the coach wouldn't listen/work with me on changing anything - it had to be the fish and asparagus and egg whites and that's it.

Sometimes I think i'd like to give it another go (using a more flexible dieting approach this time).

But not sure if I have the courage. The experience kind of scarred me and also effed around with my relationship with food.

I'll compete in figure for sure. Novice/Masters/Open

I'm sorry about your experience with your coach. I'm glad you learned what was not for you.

I dieted down to that level and trained to that level on my own. By reading learning and applying diet and fitness to my body as if it were a science project. Now am I gonna fly solo into a prep? Absolutely not. I just want to do the work. I do not want to be responsible for the math and calculations.

So I'm shopping for a coach now. I have 1 in my sights who only trains and preps natural athletes but he isn't local. All the locals that are on my radar are IFBB pro's. I contacted one of them and she asked why I was choosing the the organization I chose (which I just saw she prepped someone for) it was a turn off. BC I want to stay natural DUUUHHH.

My hubby says I'm being too picky BUT you have to be! I wont do a weird waterless, sodium manipulated PEAK week. I don't need much cardio, cardio is a tool to be used when the scale isnt moving THATS IT. And if it fits my macros I'm eating it.

I'm 45 weeks out I can afford to be picky. I don't need a prep coach UNTIL January 1 2020.

I hope you get back at it. Competing for some can just not be their thing and they don't even know til they try it. Obviously for many its a great experience and they come away with new friends and experiences they will cherish for a lifetime.

• Cahgetsfit
    Options

I'm sorry about your experience with your coach. I'm glad you learned what was not for you.

I dieted down to that level and trained to that level on my own. By reading learning and applying diet and fitness to my body as if it were a science project. Now am I gonna fly solo into a prep? Absolutely not. I just want to do the work. I do not want to be responsible for the math and calculations.

So I'm shopping for a coach now. I have 1 in my sights who only trains and preps natural athletes but he isn't local. All the locals that are on my radar are IFBB pro's. I contacted one of them and she asked why I was choosing the the organization I chose (which I just saw she prepped someone for) it was a turn off. BC I want to stay natural DUUUHHH.

My hubby says I'm being too picky BUT you have to be! I wont do a weird waterless, sodium manipulated PEAK week. I don't need much cardio, cardio is a tool to be used when the scale isnt moving THATS IT. And if it fits my macros I'm eating it.

I'm 45 weeks out I can afford to be picky. I don't need a prep coach UNTIL January 1 2020.

I hope you get back at it. Competing for some can just not be their thing and they don't even know til they try it. Obviously for many its a great experience and they come away with new friends and experiences they will cherish for a lifetime.

Great! you have a good head on your shoulders! Check out @venerando he's an IIFYM coach and all about natty. He was my coach for a while when I was lost post the comp prep thing. But I suppose not local to you. His IG is @flexibleanabolicnutrition

Good luck with finding an adequate coach for your journey :)

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Great! you have a good head on your shoulders! Check out @venerando he's an IIFYM coach and all about natty. He was my coach for a while when I was lost post the comp prep thing. But I suppose not local to you. His IG is @flexibleanabolicnutrition

Good luck with finding an adequate coach for your journey :)

Thank you so much!!! all options welcome! I will def check him out!
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Doing a show in November..
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Well This is a cool Thread!
    I just started training for a bikini competition. I broke my back in Sept of last year causing me to lose a lot of weight and muscle mass. I found a certified coach two weeks ago who is willing to work with me and we are on week two of training. (yes my doctors are okay with this) :)