Slightly longer distance

Options
BattyKnitter
BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I am currently doing the Zombies, Run! 5k training app (basically just another c25k program if you aren't familiar) and will be completing the program within a week and a half. My purpose for doing this was so I could jog from work to home a few days per week, which is just under a 7k distance.

Now my question is once I am able to jog a straight 5k should I just go for the under 7k? Do I need to train up to that distance as well or is that silly?

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Why not go for the 10k plan?

C210K
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My personal experience was that once you hit 5k, your body starts adapting to running and it’s fairly easy to increase distances. The rule of thumb is no more than 10% increase of total mileage weekly.

I’m not familiar with the progression on zombies, run, but c25k trains you to run 30 minutes at a time, which is only 5k if your pace is at or faster than 9:40 per mile. A lot of people, particularly older, shorter women, are slower than that and may cover considerably less than 5k in that amount of time. Which can lead to some surprises when people who think they can run 5k do their first actual 5k race!

Anyway I think you should be fine, but you may want to leave extra time at first in case you want to walk part of it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just a note on your ZR5K final run. It's a timed run. You will need to run it for approximately 51 minutes. Even if you complete the 5k in 35 minutes, you need to keep the app going until it tells you you're done.

And you can always go for the regular ZR app. There's a 10k training program in there that will help you progress safely.

Welcome to Abel, 5
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to do a 10k training because I wouldn't ever have time to run a full 10k, most of my running is going to be from work to home so always about a 7k distance. Unless I get much faster I don't think I want to make my run home any longer than I have to LOL! I am a very slow jogger so I definitely don't do a 5k at 30 minutes yet!

I think that I will just go for it :)

@capaul42 Thanks for the welcome! I've actually completed this program a few times and have done a few runs with the regular app including one of their awesome virtual races, but I always seem to stop jogging after a while! Not sure why, every time I start up again I think why did I ever stop I love this so much!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When you finish the 5k plan, just add 5 minutes to one or more of your runs. A week later, add another 5 minutes.