Exercise calories

Options
size102b
size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I eat 1200-1400 calories but when I exercise I don’t lose weight I’m eating no more ?
I lose weight when I don’t exercise.

Do people normally eat more days they exercise or all week ?

I had 5 months losses nearly every week as soon as I stated exercise I sts on weigh in.
I’ve lost 45 lbs in 9.5 months and 57 inches.

Thanks

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    how long do you exercise when you start? weeks?

When you add or increase exercise, your muscles will retain more water to repair themslves. this leads to water retention that can mask loss for 2-3 weeks.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • size102b
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    how long do you exercise when you start? weeks?

When you add or increase exercise, your muscles will retain more water to repair themslves. this leads to water retention that can mask loss for 2-3 weeks.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I did 5 months on those cals and had a loss every week bar ladies week and I then added in high impact cardio Zumba classes and running 3-4 days a week and had 10 weeks sts I then got proper bad flu and no exercise after for 6 weeks and I lost 6 weeks in a row 1-3 lbs a week
    I restarted exercise 5 weeks ago and have lost nothing sts again :(

Thankyou
  • Panini911
    Options
    in the 10 weeks you exercise, did you change up the routine (ex: start with zumba then build up? added the running)? or you did 10 weeks of the same exercise?

you ate the exact same calories the entire time (as before)?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely when you were sick and not exercising some of that loss was the water you were holding on to from exercising. then when you started exercising again, your muscles retained more water again.

how many cals do you eat with exercise?
    how many were you eating before exercise?
    how are you mearing cals burned from exercise? are you eating those back?
    Do you weigh all solid foods you eat and measure liquids?
  • size102b
    Options
    in the 10 weeks you exercise, did you change up the routine (ex: start with zumba then build up? added the running)? or you did 10 weeks of the same exercise?

you ate the exact same calories the entire time (as before)?

I started Zumba did thy 3 weeks then did c25k so each week you run more I also did some weights in the gym each week doing different amounts I ate the same calories all the time 1200-1400 a day I don’t eat sugar or hardly any processed foods
  • size102b
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    most likely when you were sick and not exercising some of that loss was the water you were holding on to from exercising. then when you started exercising again, your muscles retained more water again.

I lost 2.5 lbs the week I was sick then I had 6 weeks of losses 1-3 lbs a week when not exercising
    I eat 1200-1400
    Calls a day exercise or no exercise
    I’m strict ultra strict I weigh measure everything
    I eat pretty clean no junk food no added sugar foods like cake biscuits cookies fries chocolate white bread white pasta it’s all chicken eggs salmon veggies green tea water oats 0% fat Greek yoghurt fresh fruit and not loads as I have chronic ibs d. Thanks
  • size102b
    Options

I eat 1200-1400 calories every day not eating any cals at all
  • Panini911
    Options
    ok so sounds like you kept ramping up exercise leading to more water retention each time. then lost weight when you stopped. it's SUPER frustrating but would likely have passed and lead to a big woosh (drop).
  • erickirb
    Options
    ok so sounds like you kept ramping up exercise leading to more water retention each time. then lost weight when you stopped. it's SUPER frustrating but would likely have passed and lead to a big woosh (drop).

This... keep exercising and once your body gets used to what you are doing you will either shed the water or at the very least, stop retaining more, then should see the loss on the scale
  • size102b
    Options

So there hope do I need to eat more ? Thankyou
  • size102b
    Options

This... keep exercising and once your body gets used to what you are doing you will either shed the water or at the very least, stop retaining more, then should see the loss on the scale

I keep being told to eat more than I am - is that true ? Thankyou
  • size102b
    Options
    Try this for a week or two: Use the numbers from this sight
    https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=45&g=male&lbs=200&in=69&act=1.2&bf=&f=1

Don't eat back the calories your burn.

So I eat maintenance calories ? Not sure what I should do as when I click on it it comes up a male and different says than mine when I click to do my own it says maintain cals 1633 at sedinraty ? Sorry
  • erickirb
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=45&g=male&lbs=200&in=69&act=1.2&bf=&f=1

So I eat maintenance calories ? Not sure what I should do as when I click on it it comes up a male and different says than mine when I click to do my own it says maintain cals 1633 at sedinraty ? Sorry

On TDEE calculators you are supposed to include exercise. That said TDEE or MFP (NEAT)+ exercise will get you to relatively the same place at the end of the week, assuming the deficit you chose was appropriate under both.

I suggest keep exercising eating your1400 cals/day and if after 4-6 weeks your progress is more or less than expected, adjust from there
  • size102b
    Options

On TDEE calculators you are supposed to include exercise. That said TDEE or MFP (NEAT)+ exercise will get you to relatively the same place at the end of the week, assuming the deficit you chose was appropriate under both.

I suggest keep exercising eating your1400 cals/day and if after 4-6 weeks your progress is more or less than expected, adjust from there

Okay thanks I’ve been eating 1200-1400 for 5 weeks with sts each week so I need to work out what to do now 😂. Thanks for your help
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Okay thanks I’ve been eating 1200-1400 for 5 weeks with sts each week so I need to work out what to do now 😂. Thanks for your help

What does STS mean in this context?
  • size102b
    Options
    Stay the same weight each weigh in
    aokoye wrote: »

What does STS mean in this context?

Stay the same. Weight