Is this Normal?

With so much information available about fitness nowadays it makes me think of what I’m doing right now is correct, I’m 5,9 and 146 lbs I’m 17% body fat and I feel I have a decent amount of muscle for my age, currently I’m trying to get leaner with a goal of getting to 10% bf but I see people saying you can get lean and build muscle at the same time it just makes me think despite me wanting to get leaner, should I bulk. I’m really not sure am I too lean as it is, should I bulk or should I keep doing what I’m doing

I have been cutting for a month and already lost 1% bf

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Lets see a current photo
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You really need to pick a goal and stick to it. How do you feel about your physique? Do you feel like you want to be bigger with more muscle base or do you want to be more lean with smaller muscles. You can recomp but you really have to be patient and it will depend on your goals. I feel like you want everything all at once and unfortunately it doesn't work that way since you seem to be going in circles. Pick a goal, stick to it for at least 6-12 months. Go from there.
  • patrickrea2002
    patrickrea2002 Posts: 83 Member
    My current physique r7u5sf79o8hz.jpeg
  • patrickrea2002
    Me at 17%bf
  • patrickrea2002
    I was going to continue cutting but what do u guys recommend I do based on the picture?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What is your goal? What do you want? If you are happy with your shape go for a recomp. Progress can be slow and can obtain a bit more definition and maybe build a bit, but you will stay around the same size.

If you want to be bigger keep bulking.

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    I wouldn't cut, I would bulk, or get thicker.. Not smaller.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    You look solid man. Good job so far. It all depends on what you want to do first. You can cut and then bulk, or bulk then cut, or attempt to clean bulk, minimize additional fat and lower the bf% by upping the muscle %. But, you need to decide, they make your game plan.
  • patrickrea2002
    If I cut to say 10% bf does that mean I’m going to get smaller in general and lose the muscle I have?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2019
    What’s with the ten percent obsessions people have. True 10% is near stage ready lean. Usually unsustainable. Not the ten percent people claim and are really 15%

But anyways no if you keep lifting, have a reasonable deficit and hit protein goals your muscle loss should be minimal down to 10%

I think you should run a nice long lean bulk after. For like a year+
  • patrickrea2002
    I hear that I’ll bulk Till I’m happy with how lean I am and then il do a long lean bulk