TTMA Pilates

Options
About 8 years ago, I lost over 100lbs mostly through diet and running. I hurt my back and gained back all the weight and then some. At only 5'2", I weighed over 270lbs at my heaviest. I am back down under 230lbs, and am ready to start exercising, but no where near ready to reintroduce running. My core is shot and I have nerve damage in my lower back.

I joined a Pilates studio over the weekend, but it is pricey, so I only signed up for the 4 classes a month package to get started. Do you think that I'll actually see any benefit from only going once per week? My main goal at this point is to increase my core strength, and if I see improvements I might try to swing the 8 classes a month package down the road.

If you do Pilates, how beneficial do you find it? How long did it take you to notice any changes, either physical appearance and/or strength? Any tips for a beginner?

Replies

• xcreepx
    xcreepx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pilates will help with the nerve damage in your lower back and can absolutely help with your core. I don't think once a week is quite enough though, but you can take what you learn at the studio and do a lot of it at home without equipment. I hate that it's so pricey, I did the 8 classes a month thing and it was hard to go every time, but I know when I do go I always feel so much better.

I don't believe its so much a program for any kind of weight loss, but I did feel stronger after two months of 2x a week. And with what you said, sounds like it will help with your core & nerve pains, which could get you on track for other exercises for weight loss.

The enormity of my weight loss was strictly due to diet (I'm v lazy).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Given the information you have shared, I think for the first month once a week at the studio would be enough to begin with.

However, I would highly encourage you to keep moving more throughout the week if possible.

Alternating days - walk one day, stretching, or lighter Pilates routine the next day, would help you progress with your studio classes and help offset the DOMS you will most likely get because you are starting a new routine.

It will take time, but starting slow and progressing over time, will help prevent injuries and improve your fitness level.

Cheers, h.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Check with some local yoga studios. My studio offers an unlimited yoga and mat Pilates class package for $100 a month. The reformer classes are additional.

I’ve been doing mat Pilates since December, and feel like it has changed my physique a lot. It took me a couple of months to build up, but I do five Pilates classes a week, and find that using the “super fit” ring instead of the standard one has made a big difference with my upper arms. My long planks have improved greatly and my upper body strength improved, both of which have helped with my yoga practice.

I always lift head and shoulders even if not told to, pulse the ring every opportunity I get. and sometimes use two rings, if it doesn’t bother the instructor. I used to worry it would be show-offy, but decided everyone else is focused on just getting through their own version of the class, and if it bothered them, they’d get over it. Our teachers are awesome, they give the standard version of a movement, and also two or three stairstepped-difficulty variations.

If you find a studio, try all the instructors and the classes . All of ours are good but I find that the woman who does the 45 minute “efficient” class kicks my *kitten* way more than the hour classes. She is relentless and I always feel like I’ve accomplished something when I complete her shorter class without gasping for air.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

My only reason for starting an exercise program is to work on improving my overall health. I walk several days per week as I'm trying to improve my RHR and cardiovascular strength, but know that for my overall health and well being that I need to start adding some more deliberate movements. At this point, I'm not getting a whole lot of exercise calories, which is fine, I truly believe that weight is lost in the kitchen, I just want to be healthy.

I took my first Pilates class today and I loved it. It was definitely hard, but it felt great. I think that this is exactly what I need right now.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, so glad you went to your first class and enjoyed it.

Although weight loss is mainly in the kitchen, it’s actually knowing your calorie balance. This means being as accurate with what goes out as you are with what goes in.

Your calorie burn through walking and Pilates may not be much, but it is energy expended, and should be accounted for as part of managing your weight moving forward and hopefully maintaining your goal weight for life.

Even if you decide not to eat those cals back and have your reasonable deficit be part intake, part output, it still needs to be acknowledged and logged.

Sorry, I do tend to go on about the importance of exercise but I would never have been able to maintain my weight loss for 10 years without knowing and using/not using the calorie burn from exercising.

An increase in exercise would have me lethargic and losing weight, conversely, a decrease would have had me gaining and wondering why.

Be healthy, use those exercise cals.

Apologies if I miss read you.

Cheers, h.
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm starting pilates classes next week and can't wait. I'd also love to know if it helped tone anyone up?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you can afford the time and money, go to as many Pilates classes as you can. I assume you’re talking about Reformer. I made tremendous progress on my core (and everything else) when I went twice a week.
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    If you can afford the time and money, go to as many Pilates classes as you can. I assume you’re talking about Reformer. I made tremendous progress on my core (and everything else) when I went twice a week.

I think it's mat-based, but I'm not sure. Thanks very much for your reply. Starting a class on Tuesday, can't wait! Glad to hear it made a difference for you.
  • getreal89
    getreal89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m starting Pilates once a week. Then I’m going to take what I learn use it at home. Will it help my tailbone pain?