Weight gain during maintenance? Help?

Options
Please no "but it's only 1-3lbs" comments. I've been truly scratching my head over this.

I hit my goal weight a few months ago, I was around 50-50.5kg and switched to maintenance. I usually eat 95% healthy during the week and would leave the weekends for my 'eat what I want days' and even though I never "over did" it, I seemed to have been on a 1-3lbs gain for at least a couple months now.

I've been trying to drink lots more water and eat healthier to bring it back down to normal incase it was a fluctuation from water retention, and for a couple days it did go down to 50.8 but for most of the time it's still back up to up to 51kg area, and I'm starting to think it's an actual gain if it's been hanging around this long.

If it hasn't gone back down to normal for this long, would you consider this a weight gain?

P.S It confuses me so much because my clothes fit fine still, but the scale looks like a gain.

Replies

• hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your scale.

Maybe you've "gained" some muscle.

Maybe your metabolism has slowed slightly due to natural aging.

Maybe it IS water weight.

Maybe you have something totally different going on in your body that you want to check out with a doctor.

I guess I'm confused as to why 1-3 lbs is upsetting you. They say 5 lbs within goal is great for maintenance. Wish you luck. Maybe go and get your body fat percentage checked and have a professional weighing done?
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!

I reached my goal weight and then started allowing myself a few extra calories (but still staying around 1200 per day). I gained a few pounds and panicked.

Of course, I cut the calories back down and upped the exercise.

And gained a couple more pounds.

I drank more water and upped the exercise.

In total, I gained back 15 pounds eating less than I had when losing weight and working out seven days a week. This past week, I decided to really bite the bullet... I cut waaaay down on diet pepsi (my major downfall), and I've lost 3 pounds. Yes, it was all soda weight, I guess).

Is there anything in your diet that's "not so bad" but that may be messing with your efforts?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, it's perfectly normal. When we are at a deficient the body drops a lot of water weight. When we start maintaining the body holds on to a bit of water weight. This is a good thing, as our muscles need the energy. Because of fluctuations , which are normal, for sanity it's a good idea to have a weight range. A couple of pounds under to over seems to be a common range. I hope that helps .
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd call that normal fluctuation. My lowest weight was 131. I was there for a couple of months, but I've been closer to 133 for the past few months. My clothes fit the same, measurements the same.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!

I reached my goal weight and then started allowing myself a few extra calories (but still staying around 1200 per day). I gained a few pounds and panicked.

Of course, I cut the calories back down and upped the exercise.

I drank more water and upped the exercise.

In total, I gained back 15 pounds eating less than I had when losing weight and working out seven days a week. This past week, I decided to really bite the bullet... I cut waaaay down on diet pepsi (my major downfall), and I've lost 3 pounds. Yes, it was all soda weight, I guess).

Is there anything in your diet that's "not so bad" but that may be messing with your efforts?

Thank you for mentioning the soda!

I've been in a similar boat where my weight has been around 3 pounds more than I want it to be for a long time. If it fluctuates, that's fine, but I've been stuck here for a month or so now without ever seeing my goal weight. I have also been drinking my share of diet soda simply for more energy at work. I'll have to cut that out.

Has anyone else seen a return to normal weight after cutting stuff out you thought was okay?