A case for cardio?

Options
Many years ago I hurt my back (bulged/tore my L4). Even after rehab I was told I shouldn't do anything impactful on my vertebra, e.g. running, jumping, etc. Instead I should concentrate on biking and swimming for my exercise. With periodic cheating, I've adhered to that instruction, and I think it was largely to my detriment, as it was also a sort of excuse to not exercise.

After hurting my back again a few months ago and going back into therapy, and full recovery, I've taken up opportunistic running. By that, I mean I run short 1/8 mile distances when I go for daily walks for work. I know it's not much, but it brings the heart rate up a little, without me sweating in my work attire. I've also recently dragged my kids along for a couple of 1/2 mile runs after work, and made it all the way. Panting, but not pleading for my life or muscle soreness.

Last night I was playing some low impact basketball with the kids (no jumping), and I noticed I was actually running for the ball rather than walking, and feeling energetic about it.

It's been a long time since I felt that way. Feels good to be a gangsta!

My plans are to ramp up my jogging a bit, but it'll have to be late evening, because it's *hot* here in Florida.

Replies

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was also told not to run by my rheumatologist. I have recently started ignoring his recommendation. I do slow jogging and I feel great.
    You may want to check it out. It's lower impact than regular jogging because you land different.
  • buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I had surgery on a herniated disc at L4-5 about a decade ago. My surgeon told me running is the worst possible thing for me to do and suggested swimming. I hate swimming and don't have access to a pool without spending $$$. I took up running with Couch 2 5k about 6 years ago and have run numerous 5k, 10k and half marathon races since. It actually helps me by strengthening my core muscles, especially the rolling hills around my home. I use Jeff Galloway's run-walk method which is awesome.
    Don't do it if it aggravates your back, but for me it's actually really helpful.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    This sounds more like you're talking about wanting to run than wanting to do cardio more broadly. Up until about a year and a half ago I was told that I would never run - so between the ages of 14 and 30ish. Between back and knee issues, both of which required various surgeries.

I worked with my most recent physical therapist and orthopedic surgeon to get me to a point where I could run without risk of a very fast injury. That said, I didn't use my my 15+ years of not being able to run as an excuse not to do cardio. There's a world of cardio that isn't running and that isn't high impact.

I do think the temporary moratorium on running post my two most recent surgeries was a good one (I was allowed to do things like run for the bus, nothing more than that though) for a lot of reasons. Two major surgeries back to back, well researched guidelines, very experienced medical professionals, objective strength testing, and the experience of my PT having seen people try to run earlier than prescribed and getting injured.

That said, I was cycling three plus days a week, begrudgingly doing weight training, doing a lot of physical therapy (some of which was weight training), and swimming as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    While I very much enjoy many forms of cardio, I've never liked running, and stopped as soon as I got out of the military and no one could force me to run anymore.