I have been sooooo hungry lately... HELP!!

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
No I am not pregnant, LOL. I cant have anymore babies!

I dont know what my problem is. I usually eat like 6 small meals throughout the day (sometimes more) and I am starting to think that is not working. they are more like snacks and its keeping me hungry.
Wondering if I should switch to 3 larger meals, but foods that fill me up. It seems like nothing is filling me up right now.

Anyone have any experience with this? What foods can I add to my meals that will bulk them up, fill me up and that allows me to stay within my calorie range. (I usually eat between 1400-1600 calories)

Any advice, suggestions, tips, anything??

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How big of a deficit is 1400-1600 calories for you?

How long has this been going on?

How long have you been dieting? Have you taken a diet break?

Is your menstrual cycle still a factor? Where are you in your cycle? (I get hangry 2-3 days before I start my period.)
  • Qbaimee
    Options
    How big of a deficit is 1400-1600 calories for you? I havent really sat down and figured this out lol. tbh. When I exercise I burn between 200-400 calories.

How long has this been going on? since the middle of April.

How long have you been dieting? Have you taken a diet break? I have been for about 20 years lol. but yes I took a break recently and I have been trying to get back on. I think my problem is that I may be eating too many snacky type things and not anything substantial.

Is your menstrual cycle still a factor? nope, dont have one. Where are you in your cycle? (I get hangry 2-3 days before I start my period.) however, I still have my ovaries which pretends to bring on a cycle lol
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Do you hit your protein target daily? How about fiber? Those things tend to help people feel full.
  • Qbaimee
    Options
    protein definitely yes.... fiber maybe not so much.
    Maybe I need to focus some on that. Thank you for replying.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Qbaimee wrote: »
    protein definitely yes.... fiber maybe not so much.
    Maybe I need to focus some on that. Thank you for replying.

No problem.

If you are willing to share your height, weight, age and goal weight, we can dial in whether 1400-1600 calories is a good option for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Water fills without calories. So try soups or stews.

Air is also free so try air popped popcorn, wheat puffs.
  • Qbaimee
    edited May 2019
    Options

I defitnetly need to figure out what to eat to keep me satisfied.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What is "lately"?

Have you been satisfied for a long period of time before this started happening? If so, what has changed?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    absolutely. I am 5'6" 210lbs. I am 42 and I would like to be around 155-160ish depending on what I look and feel like lol. I was wondering if I am not eating enough. I dont always log my foods on mfp, I'll write it down in my journal. However, I am going to start putting it here as well.

A little back history on me, I used to weigh 311 lbs. I have maintained a 100lb weight loss for the last 3 years. I have gotten down to 174 and have slowly put some weight back on, but now i am struggling.
    I defitnetly need to figure out what to eat to keep me satisfied.

Oops, sorry. One more question. How active are you (how many steps do you average a day)?
  • Qbaimee
    Options
    I have a desk job, so during the day I only get about 3000-4000 steps and I go to the gym 4-5 times a week.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Using scoobysworkshop.com, I entered your stats and "sedentary". It estimates your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) at 2011 calories.

If you wanted to lose more slowly, and not white-knuckle it, you could bump your calories up to 1761 to lose 0.5 pounds per week. It would take longer, but not be as difficult.

Great job on already losing 100, BTW! That's amazing!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I have a desk job, so during the day I only get about 3000-4000 steps and I go to the gym 4-5 times a week.
    Using scoobysworkshop.com, I entered your stats and "sedentary". It estimates your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) at 2011 calories.

If you wanted to lose more slowly, and not white-knuckle it, you could bump your calories up to 1761 to lose 0.5 pounds per week. It would take longer, but not be as difficult.

Great job on already losing 100, BTW! That's amazing!

With 3-5 hours of strenuous exercise, that makes your TDEE 2597. So you could eat ~2200 calories to lose 0.5 lbs per week.

If you want to be cautious, I'd recommend 1750-2000 calories as your target. The extra 200-300 calories will probably make a huge difference with your hunger.
  • Qbaimee
    Options
    Thank you so much! I had not heard of that website.
    I think I will bump up my calories a bit and see what happens. Thank you for your help :)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Thank you so much! I had not heard of that website.
    I think I will bump up my calories a bit and see what happens. Thank you for your help :)

Just a note, if you are eating TDEE, you don't eat back exercise calories like you do with MFPs NEAT formula.
  • Qbaimee
    Options
    Got it! Thank you !
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Got it! Thank you !

Good luck!
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also, if you still have ovaries and aren't old enough to go through menopause, you are still having all of the hormonal changes of a monthly cycle. That may still be a factor.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're getting good advice but I just want to reiterate that playing around with your meal timings and food choices is a good idea alongside all of this. I want to gnaw my own arm off when I try to do six small meals. I'm much more satisfied with two larger meals and some snacks through the day. I can eat a good meal but if it was low on fat I won't feel satisfied and I'll stay snack-y all night. Other people are the complete opposite and feel more satisfied with carbs or protein or smaller meals and would hate eating the way I do. So it's important to play around and see what you like best.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    For me, protein and fat fill me up. I eat two tiny meals per day and one huge one. If I have a lot of left over calories, I then add a snack. I'm on 1200/day so have a lot less wiggle room than most.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're getting good advice but I just want to reiterate that playing around with your meal timings and food choices is a good idea alongside all of this. I want to gnaw my own arm off when I try to do six small meals. I'm much more satisfied with two larger meals and some snacks through the day. I can eat a good meal but if it was low on fat I won't feel satisfied and I'll stay snack-y all night. Other people are the complete opposite and feel more satisfied with carbs or protein or smaller meals and would hate eating the way I do. So it's important to play around and see what you like best.

I agree with this. Since you are already thinking that 6 small meals aren't satisfying for you, worth trying something else, as well as increasing cals. I personally would never be satisfied on a bunch of tiny meals, but really like eating 3 bigger meals.