Water Drinkin' Question

Options
Lindz2H
Lindz2H Posts: 36 Member
Can anyone point me in the direction of, or is aware of any generalized advice on if it is/isn't advised to drink all your recommended daily water intake? I have this big bottle of water that is a little over 1/2 of the daily recommended 64 oz. I tend to try to drink one whole bottle before lunch and one whole bottle after lunch and then when I get home I'm basically not drinking anything at all. Any evidence that this habit is "bad" for me?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I drink 16oz bottles of water..

One when i drive to work.. one with lunch.... One around an hour before heading home and last with dinner.. slow drink not chugging it down...

Practically same when I I used to drink sodas . 😁
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I once asked the company nurse where the 64 oz daily water budget came from. As in: Sez who? It seemed to stun her that she didn't actually know the answer to that.

In fact, somebody said it. Then somebody else. Then somebody else. And then we all got convinced that it was a government standard. It isn't. Thirst is a bodily signal. Water is an important part of our bodily function. Drink as much as you need. Let your body be the judge of that.

• CarlyBurkeRuby
    CarlyBurkeRuby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! 64 ounces is almost 2 litres so it sounds like you’re on the right track! It won’t hurt you to not be drinking at night, as long as you get your water in. Basically try to drink enough so that you’re not thirsty throughout the day (if you are, you are dehydrated)
    Carly
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I also consume most of my water while at work, when I get home (even with dinner) I don't tend to drink anything. It's never hurt my weight loss or affected me at all. I drink 60-70oz a day.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I once asked the company nurse where the 64 oz daily water budget came from. As in: Sez who? It seemed to stun her that she didn't actually know the answer to that.

In fact, somebody said it. Then somebody else. Then somebody else. And then we all got convinced that it was a government standard. It isn't. Thirst is a bodily signal. Water is an important part of our bodily function. Drink as much as you need. Let your body be the judge of that.

from what I understand, somebody said something about six glasses of water a day, then the rest of the sentence got cut off in publication. The rest of the sentence suggested that we get much of our water needs from food (ie. fruit and vegetables) anyway.
    earlnabby wrote:
    Thirst is not a good indicator of dehydration. Most of the time you are long dehydrated before you get thirsty.

Thirst is a VERY good indicator that you are started to get dehydrated. You think after all these years of evolution the body didn't have a pretty good way of telling us when we need fluid? If you are thirsty, that means you need to drink. There are no rules about how much to drink all day, but a good rule of thumb is to monitor output - ie. a pale straw colour to your urine is good, tea coloured is very very bad. Your liquid needs change depending on the environment and your activity, so following a strict numerical rule is a bad way of approaching it. And food, coffee, tea etc. They count too.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Thirst is a VERY good indicator that you are started to get dehydrated. You think after all these years of evolution the body didn't have a pretty good way of telling us when we need fluid? If you are thirsty, that means you need to drink. There are no rules about how much to drink all day, but a good rule of thumb is to monitor output - ie. a pale straw colour to your urine is good, tea coloured is very very bad. Your liquid needs change depending on the environment and your activity, so following a strict numerical rule is a bad way of approaching it. And food, coffee, tea etc. They count too.

I agree with this but with the caveat of using some common sense. If you are ill, spending a lot of time in the heat, or doing an abnormal (for you) amount of sweating then go ahead and hydrate some more. Water doesn't get to toxic levels that easily and waiting to check your urine or even for your thirst to catch up with you in unusual situations is not a good idea.
  • cydneebauman
    cydneebauman Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was drinking too much water for my own body at 100oz(I was getting nauseous) . My doctor told me to only drink when I'm thirsty, at most 70oz a day.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    There are different schools of thought. Most say that 2L per day is recommended - 8 cups. Others say to only drink when you are thirsty and there is no need to drink a whole heap of water as you get water from fruit/veg too.

Personally I aim to drink ~2l per day. I have a 2L bottle at work and I drink it throughout the day. Sometimes I don't finish it, most of the time I do. Then when I get home I usually don't drink anymore except for maybe a half to one glass when I take my magnesium before bed. On the weekends I rarely hit 2L as I don't have a bottle sitting in front of me.

My pee is light. Even on the weekend when I will drink less than a litre on some days!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    All I know is when I drink a lot of water. (I try to do 100 ounces a day if I can or close). I lose weight better and faster then when I do not.