How important is it to change workout programs?

Options
I am following a free online workout program. In the program's description, it says that the program duration is 8 weeks. Does that mean I should change programs after 8 weeks? Will it still be optimal to follow the same program after the 8 weeks?

Replies

• j_c_29
    j_c_29 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The program is a muscle building program btw
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I think the best way to respond is that you should follow a beginner program until you stop progressing or just get bored. That could be months to years depending on many factors. Then move up to intermediate programs for likely many years and then to advanced. The stickies in this forum have it broken out.

I don’t know what program your following but all good programs should have progressive overload, appropriate frequency, appropriate volume, deloads and periodization. I strongly suggest following one from the first sticky here. “Which lifting program is best for you”
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Very good question.

Generally speaking it is best to rotate a hypertrophy program and a strength program for best results assuming the volume is correct.

If you enjoy the program and seen results to your liking, it's reasonable to repeat the program though there are intelligent adjustments to make in order to see progress for short term results.

Also adding that one of the mistakes I see often is lifters who feel they can just run a program for long periods of time and expect great results. I've seen people running the same program for 2-3years and not get the same results of running a more optimal programs for one year.