Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

My 10 day low-carb challenge became a 4 week success!!

KMD1214KMD1214 Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
At my highest weight ever (175 at 5’3”), I started what was going to be a 10-day, 1000 calorie, 25 or less carb personal challenge to get some of this weight off. I stopped drinking wine, shopped for low carb alternatives and logged every bite of food on MFP. I also set little goals each week..... but exceeded them! (Whatt???)

My “success” story on day 28 (exactly 4 weeks) isn’t as dramatic and mind blowing as others, but I weighed 161.2 this morning!!!! 14 pounds in 4 weeks!! That’s amazing for me and I’m going to continue until I’m down to a healthy 135.

The quick results of low carbs and cals, as well as the steady loss was critical to my “immediate gratification” tendencies 🙄. As well as MFP. Here’s to getting healthier!!!!!
edited May 30
«1

Replies

  • Commander_KeenCommander_Keen Posts: 1,201Member Member Posts: 1,201Member Member
    Congrats.. I am doing the exact same thing. with the same results. -- Great job.
  • nholton8nholton8 Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
  • KMD1214KMD1214 Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
    Thank you, and congrats! Never in my LIFE did I imagine that I would post a weight loss success story! Did you stumble on any any great go- to low carb foods that have helped you through?
  • hafsatoheed2019hafsatoheed2019 Posts: 50Member Member Posts: 50Member Member
    KMD1214 wrote: »
    At my highest weight ever (175 at 5’3”), I started what was going to be a 10-day, 1000 calorie, 25 or less carb personal challenge to get some of this weight off. I stopped drinking wine, shopped for low carb alternatives and logged every bite of food on MFP. I also set little goals each week..... but exceeded them! (Whatt???)

    My “success” story on day 28 (exactly 4 weeks) isn’t as dramatic and mind blowing as others, but I weighed 161.2 this morning!!!! 14 pounds in 4 weeks!! That’s amazing for me and I’m going to continue until I’m down to a healthy 135.

    The quick results of low carbs and cals, as well as the steady loss was critical to my “immediate gratification” tendencies 🙄. As well as MFP. Here’s to getting healthier!!!!!
    But what about the “don’t go below 1200” calories thing
    Don’t you feel hungry all the time
    I have this instant gratification problem too if I don’t see results right away I would not stick to the plan and that why haven’t lost anything yet just but your plan seems doable and one more thing when you say 25 carbs does that mean carbs from the actual carbs or carbs every where Imran carbs in greens also ??

  • KMD1214KMD1214 Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
    You know , there are days I’m way below 1000 and days I’m no where near 25 fm of total carbs. I’m just rarely hungry anymore. I’ve found so many low calorie/high protein, satisfying substitutes for all the bread and pasta and crackers I used to consume. I am not recommending anything— I just know what works for me. I think that at age 63, and with only light exercise, I have to go below 1200 to lose weight. I’m not ready to experiment yet with higher calories and really have no desire or appetite to eat more right now. But I will in the future!
  • Commander_KeenCommander_Keen Posts: 1,201Member Member Posts: 1,201Member Member
    KMD1214 wrote: »
    At my highest weight ever (175 at 5’3”), I started what was going to be a 10-day, 1000 calorie, 25 or less carb personal challenge to get some of this weight off. I stopped drinking wine, shopped for low carb alternatives and logged every bite of food on MFP. I also set little goals each week..... but exceeded them! (Whatt???)

    My “success” story on day 28 (exactly 4 weeks) isn’t as dramatic and mind blowing as others, but I weighed 161.2 this morning!!!! 14 pounds in 4 weeks!! That’s amazing for me and I’m going to continue until I’m down to a healthy 135.

    The quick results of low carbs and cals, as well as the steady loss was critical to my “immediate gratification” tendencies 🙄. As well as MFP. Here’s to getting healthier!!!!!
    But what about the “don’t go below 1200” calories thing
    Don’t you feel hungry all the time
    I have this instant gratification problem too if I don’t see results right away I would not stick to the plan and that why haven’t lost anything yet just but your plan seems doable and one more thing when you say 25 carbs does that mean carbs from the actual carbs or carbs every where Imran carbs in greens also ??

    Soooo, here is what I do. for snacks I have green peppers or celery or cheese stick. I will argue that having unlimited amounts of celery, or green peppers will not hurt your diet. You can also have 10 cheese sticks, to = 100 calories. If I go over, then exercise to work off the difference.

    Drinks - I also drink a lot of caffeine drinks ( coffee/ diet coke). Caffeine is an appetite suppressant and the liquid will help you feel full.

  • carylamodiacarylamodia Posts: 60Member Member Posts: 60Member Member
    That's amazing! Congrats, and keep going!
  • Commander_KeenCommander_Keen Posts: 1,201Member Member Posts: 1,201Member Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    So keep in mind there allot of members out there that will say I am / we are doing a dis-service
    They are going to say that eating 1000 calories is really bad, and when pushed they say this:
    Your body will shut down - Well if I am 100 lbs over weight it will take me up to 50 weeks - 100 weeks before my body would shut down -
    Issues with Hair and nails - Again 50 weeks before there is an issue. Also if one is concern, once should eat nutrient dense foods.
    Loss of Muscle mass - Well how did I get muscle mass to begin with ? so I would assume eat more protein.
    They will say its not sustainable - which is true.. so you have have to be loose with with, meaning eat unlimited celery, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms.

    Although some of those points are good. It is difficult even on 1200 cals to day to get adequate Protein, Fat, vitamins and minerals... so imagine how much harder it is on 1000 cals. even at 1200 there is really no wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods.

    And how did you come up with 100 weeks before main, hair and other issues? I agree it will take weeks, but probably much much less than 100 weeks... think about it, at 100 lbs overweight eating 1000 cals you will probably lose 3 lbs/week, so that would be 150lbs in 100 weeks, which would put you at 50 lbs underweight? most likely issues will start happening with energy, nails, hair, etc. in the 8-15 week timeframe.

    and to maintain muscle, you are correct get enough protein, in a deficit that would be about 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, but you also need to incorporate a progressive overload strength training regimen.

    Protein - it depends on the person, and their goals .. Protein drinks is 30 grams
    Chicken Breast - 30 --- Turkey - 30
    Chicken Quarter - 37 -- Salmon 20

    Time frame - Everything is assumption, because no one is perfect, or has perfect days or perfect logging
    A 100 weeks = 1 lbs loss for 1 week. just to get to your ideal weight. Then the question is when
    does it start when your 1 lbs under weight , no.. how about 2, no, 10 lbs, prob not. 20 lbs, maybe.
  • KMD1214KMD1214 Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
    Here’s a list of my favorite, non-veggie go to snacks and switches (no advice or advertising intended!!). PS..I’m a salty/savory lover:
    1. Almond milk (unsweetened): this simple switch saves tons of early morning carbs if you are a coffee lover. I even used it in a zucchini bacon quiche successfully.
    2. Jello cups (10 calories): quick and satisfying, zero carbs
    3. Members Mark (Sams) Parmesan crisps: 25 of these delicious little crackers have no carbs and 130 calories. I have these with an ounce of blue cheese for a snack.
    4. Real Good Foods (Walmart and Publix): OMG. I’ve had their Spreme and cheese pizzas, amazingly made with a ground chicken breast and Parmesan “crust. Whattt???? DELICIOUS. 4 carbs. I’ve also tried their chicken, beef and cheese enchiladas. The wrappers are somehow made with soft Parmesan and look like corn tortillas. Same carbs.
    5. Lettuce cups withGrilled buffalo chicken breast cubes, some broccoli slaw, cherry tomatoes and a squirt of ranch.

    It’s actually fun trying new things and calculating cals and carbs. Please don’t be afraid to just try. I’ve wasted so much precious time hating to see my reflection in the mirror. It’s not too late to try!
  • KMD1214KMD1214 Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
    Congrats .... I am a Keto'er and I do IF (fasting 16:8) I have lost 23 lbs since March :)

    Thanks so much!! I’d love to learn more about your IF!!!
    Kate

  • erickirberickirb Posts: 12,192Member Member Posts: 12,192Member Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    So keep in mind there allot of members out there that will say I am / we are doing a dis-service
    They are going to say that eating 1000 calories is really bad, and when pushed they say this:
    Your body will shut down - Well if I am 100 lbs over weight it will take me up to 50 weeks - 100 weeks before my body would shut down -
    Issues with Hair and nails - Again 50 weeks before there is an issue. Also if one is concern, once should eat nutrient dense foods.
    Loss of Muscle mass - Well how did I get muscle mass to begin with ? so I would assume eat more protein.
    They will say its not sustainable - which is true.. so you have have to be loose with with, meaning eat unlimited celery, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms.

    Although some of those points are good. It is difficult even on 1200 cals to day to get adequate Protein, Fat, vitamins and minerals... so imagine how much harder it is on 1000 cals. even at 1200 there is really no wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods.

    And how did you come up with 100 weeks before main, hair and other issues? I agree it will take weeks, but probably much much less than 100 weeks... think about it, at 100 lbs overweight eating 1000 cals you will probably lose 3 lbs/week, so that would be 150lbs in 100 weeks, which would put you at 50 lbs underweight? most likely issues will start happening with energy, nails, hair, etc. in the 8-15 week timeframe.

    and to maintain muscle, you are correct get enough protein, in a deficit that would be about 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, but you also need to incorporate a progressive overload strength training regimen.

    Protein - it depends on the person, and their goals .. Protein drinks is 30 grams
    Chicken Breast - 30 --- Turkey - 30
    Chicken Quarter - 37 -- Salmon 20

    Time frame - Everything is assumption, because no one is perfect, or has perfect days or perfect logging
    A 100 weeks = 1 lbs loss for 1 week. just to get to your ideal weight. Then the question is when
    does it start when your 1 lbs under weight , no.. how about 2, no, 10 lbs, prob not. 20 lbs, maybe.

    But the premise was 1,000 cals/day which would for someone overweight be 2-3 lb loss/week. if you aimed for 1 lb/week your calories would be more like 2,000 and this thread wouldn't exist.

    It starts when you are still overweight... your body will sacrifice non-life sustaining functions while in a long term deficit, these include nice skin, nail, hair, etc. you don't have to be underweight to be malnourished.
    edited May 30
  • Commander_KeenCommander_Keen Posts: 1,201Member Member Posts: 1,201Member Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    So keep in mind there allot of members out there that will say I am / we are doing a dis-service
    They are going to say that eating 1000 calories is really bad, and when pushed they say this:
    Your body will shut down - Well if I am 100 lbs over weight it will take me up to 50 weeks - 100 weeks before my body would shut down -
    Issues with Hair and nails - Again 50 weeks before there is an issue. Also if one is concern, once should eat nutrient dense foods.
    Loss of Muscle mass - Well how did I get muscle mass to begin with ? so I would assume eat more protein.
    They will say its not sustainable - which is true.. so you have have to be loose with with, meaning eat unlimited celery, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms.

    Although some of those points are good. It is difficult even on 1200 cals to day to get adequate Protein, Fat, vitamins and minerals... so imagine how much harder it is on 1000 cals. even at 1200 there is really no wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods.

    And how did you come up with 100 weeks before main, hair and other issues? I agree it will take weeks, but probably much much less than 100 weeks... think about it, at 100 lbs overweight eating 1000 cals you will probably lose 3 lbs/week, so that would be 150lbs in 100 weeks, which would put you at 50 lbs underweight? most likely issues will start happening with energy, nails, hair, etc. in the 8-15 week timeframe.

    and to maintain muscle, you are correct get enough protein, in a deficit that would be about 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, but you also need to incorporate a progressive overload strength training regimen.

    Protein - it depends on the person, and their goals .. Protein drinks is 30 grams
    Chicken Breast - 30 --- Turkey - 30
    Chicken Quarter - 37 -- Salmon 20

    Time frame - Everything is assumption, because no one is perfect, or has perfect days or perfect logging
    A 100 weeks = 1 lbs loss for 1 week. just to get to your ideal weight. Then the question is when
    does it start when your 1 lbs under weight , no.. how about 2, no, 10 lbs, prob not. 20 lbs, maybe.

    But the premise was 1,000 cals/day which would for someone overweight be 2-3 lb loss/week. if you aimed for 1 lb/week your calories would be more like 2,000 and this thread wouldn't exist.

    Its not an aim, its an assumption. if we were to target 2lbs per week, and I am 100 lbs over weight, then to lose the weight wold be 50 weeks? Thats almost a year, to get to my target weight. Then after that full year.

    Your also talking about absolute -
    The person will be perfect logging, and we both know, that is not going to happen.
    Your suggesting that the person is not going to go over. - I am suggesting they will, but should eat unlimited rabbit food.
    Your suggesting that the person wont take a break, I think they will.

    Not everything has to be perfect, and I am under the assumption that it wont be.
    edited May 30
  • KMD1214KMD1214 Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    So keep in mind there allot of members out there that will say I am / we are doing a dis-service
    They are going to say that eating 1000 calories is really bad, and when pushed they say this:
    Your body will shut down - Well if I am 100 lbs over weight it will take me up to 50 weeks - 100 weeks before my body would shut down -
    Issues with Hair and nails - Again 50 weeks before there is an issue. Also if one is concern, once should eat nutrient dense foods.
    Loss of Muscle mass - Well how did I get muscle mass to begin with ? so I would assume eat more protein.
    They will say its not sustainable - which is true.. so you have have to be loose with with, meaning eat unlimited celery, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms.

    Although some of those points are good. It is difficult even on 1200 cals to day to get adequate Protein, Fat, vitamins and minerals... so imagine how much harder it is on 1000 cals. even at 1200 there is really no wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods.

    And how did you come up with 100 weeks before main, hair and other issues? I agree it will take weeks, but probably much much less than 100 weeks... think about it, at 100 lbs overweight eating 1000 cals you will probably lose 3 lbs/week, so that would be 150lbs in 100 weeks, which would put you at 50 lbs underweight? most likely issues will start happening with energy, nails, hair, etc. in the 8-15 week timeframe.

    and to maintain muscle, you are correct get enough protein, in a deficit that would be about 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, but you also need to incorporate a progressive overload strength training regimen.

    Protein - it depends on the person, and their goals .. Protein drinks is 30 grams
    Chicken Breast - 30 --- Turkey - 30
    Chicken Quarter - 37 -- Salmon 20

    Time frame - Everything is assumption, because no one is perfect, or has perfect days or perfect logging
    A 100 weeks = 1 lbs loss for 1 week. just to get to your ideal weight. Then the question is when
    does it start when your 1 lbs under weight , no.. how about 2, no, 10 lbs, prob not. 20 lbs, maybe.

    But the premise was 1,000 cals/day which would for someone overweight be 2-3 lb loss/week. if you aimed for 1 lb/week your calories would be more like 2,000 and this thread wouldn't exist.

    It starts when you are still overweight... your body will sacrifice non-life sustaining functions while in a long term deficit, these include nice skin, nail, hair, etc. you don't have to be underweight to be malnourished.

    I support everyone who summons the courage and determination to find their own path, be it a high protein, or vegetarian, or IF, or more traditional approach. Some of us have failed repeatedly with traditional approaches. For those who need a different path, so be it.
  • wyeth84wyeth84 Posts: 34Member Member Posts: 34Member Member
    KMD1214 wrote: »
    At my highest weight ever (175 at 5’3”), I started what was going to be a 10-day, 1000 calorie, 25 or less carb personal challenge to get some of this weight off. I stopped drinking wine, shopped for low carb alternatives and logged every bite of food on MFP. I also set little goals each week..... but exceeded them! (Whatt???)

    My “success” story on day 28 (exactly 4 weeks) isn’t as dramatic and mind blowing as others, but I weighed 161.2 this morning!!!! 14 pounds in 4 weeks!! That’s amazing for me and I’m going to continue until I’m down to a healthy 135.

    The quick results of low carbs and cals, as well as the steady loss was critical to my “immediate gratification” tendencies 🙄. As well as MFP. Here’s to getting healthier!!!!!
    But what about the “don’t go below 1200” calories thing
    Don’t you feel hungry all the time
    I have this instant gratification problem too if I don’t see results right away I would not stick to the plan and that why haven’t lost anything yet just but your plan seems doable and one more thing when you say 25 carbs does that mean carbs from the actual carbs or carbs every where Imran carbs in greens also ??

    Soooo, here is what I do. for snacks I have green peppers or celery or cheese stick. I will argue that having unlimited amounts of celery, or green peppers will not hurt your diet. You can also have 10 cheese sticks, to = 100 calories. If I go over, then exercise to work off the difference.

    Drinks - I also drink a lot of caffeine drinks ( coffee/ diet coke). Caffeine is an appetite suppressant and the liquid will help you feel full.

    A string cheese stick is usually around 80 calories across the board (whether it's part skim mozzarella, medium cheddar, colby/jack etc). Fresh mozzarella sticks are usually about 70. A "standard" cheese stick is 1oz, I am not sure what cheese sticks you found at 10 calories each? Just pointing this out because it would lead to a huge calories difference...
  • erickirberickirb Posts: 12,192Member Member Posts: 12,192Member Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    So keep in mind there allot of members out there that will say I am / we are doing a dis-service
    They are going to say that eating 1000 calories is really bad, and when pushed they say this:
    Your body will shut down - Well if I am 100 lbs over weight it will take me up to 50 weeks - 100 weeks before my body would shut down -
    Issues with Hair and nails - Again 50 weeks before there is an issue. Also if one is concern, once should eat nutrient dense foods.
    Loss of Muscle mass - Well how did I get muscle mass to begin with ? so I would assume eat more protein.
    They will say its not sustainable - which is true.. so you have have to be loose with with, meaning eat unlimited celery, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms.

    Although some of those points are good. It is difficult even on 1200 cals to day to get adequate Protein, Fat, vitamins and minerals... so imagine how much harder it is on 1000 cals. even at 1200 there is really no wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods.

    And how did you come up with 100 weeks before main, hair and other issues? I agree it will take weeks, but probably much much less than 100 weeks... think about it, at 100 lbs overweight eating 1000 cals you will probably lose 3 lbs/week, so that would be 150lbs in 100 weeks, which would put you at 50 lbs underweight? most likely issues will start happening with energy, nails, hair, etc. in the 8-15 week timeframe.

    and to maintain muscle, you are correct get enough protein, in a deficit that would be about 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, but you also need to incorporate a progressive overload strength training regimen.

    Protein - it depends on the person, and their goals .. Protein drinks is 30 grams
    Chicken Breast - 30 --- Turkey - 30
    Chicken Quarter - 37 -- Salmon 20

    Time frame - Everything is assumption, because no one is perfect, or has perfect days or perfect logging
    A 100 weeks = 1 lbs loss for 1 week. just to get to your ideal weight. Then the question is when
    does it start when your 1 lbs under weight , no.. how about 2, no, 10 lbs, prob not. 20 lbs, maybe.

    But the premise was 1,000 cals/day which would for someone overweight be 2-3 lb loss/week. if you aimed for 1 lb/week your calories would be more like 2,000 and this thread wouldn't exist.

    Its not an aim, its an assumption. if we were to target 2lbs per week, and I am 100 lbs over weight, then to lose the weight wold be 50 weeks? Thats almost a year, to get to my target weight. Then after that full year.

    Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

    The reasons: the less you have to lose the less fat stores you have to pull from. The less fat you have to pull from the less your body wants to take any. So if your deficit is too large given your stats you will burn a large % of lean muscle. Doing the above also helps set you up for maintenance without a large increase in caloric intake all at once.

    Losing faster than the above puts you are a risk for losing hair, weak nails, poor skin, loss of lean muscle, low energy levels, etc.
    So, even with 100lbs to lose, it should take longer than 50 weeks, should be 25 weeks for the first 25, next 35 lbs, 24 weeks, next 25, 25 weeks and last 15 lbs 30 weeks for a total of 103 weeks

    edited May 30
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 34,675Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 34,675Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    KMD1214 wrote: »
    You know , there are days I’m way below 1000 and days I’m no where near 25 fm of total carbs. I’m just rarely hungry anymore. I’ve found so many low calorie/high protein, satisfying substitutes for all the bread and pasta and crackers I used to consume. I am not recommending anything— I just know what works for me. I think that at age 63, and with only light exercise, I have to go below 1200 to lose weight. I’m not ready to experiment yet with higher calories and really have no desire or appetite to eat more right now. But I will in the future!

    I think you are doing yourself a bit of disservice based the bold. Below is that math to why I say that.

    Since you went low carb, lets assume ~5lbs is glycogen/water weight (and I usually recommend removing the first 2 weeks of weight loss from the calculation since a lot can be water, glycogen, changes in sodium, food waste, etc...). That is roughly 9 lbs in 4 weeks or a weekly deficit of 7,875 calories. That equates to a daily deficit of 1,125 calories. If your average intake was 1,000 calories, that would put your maintenance calories of 2125.

    That math would suggest that as long as you are below 2100 calories, than you would lose weight. This also doesn't consider the impact on adequate calories on daily activities. Often, when a person aggressively cuts calories, their body will compensate by reducing movement. And over time, it can cause lethargy. This doesn't even get into the discussion about adequate protein which is so important during weight loss, and even more important for older folks (especially with the prevention of osteoporosis and overall bone/joint health). Typical needs for women are 90-130g per day.

    Overall, it would appear that you are losing at a pretty reasonable weight and finding a diet style that you like, so congrats. Even if you stay of your current intake, I would recommend getting most of your calories from protein, and then the carbs you do eat, from low GI sources to preserve calories for protein and some fats.
    edited June 1
  • OooohToastOooohToast Posts: 228Member Member Posts: 228Member Member
    Well done OP ! I also think everyone has to find their way and that we all do so understanding the risks. Risks are potential, not asbolute outcomes - as we are all grownups, we make those decisions for ourselves and accept the consquences, good or bad. I think thats forgotten here sometimes.

    Here in the UK there is a big push to steer people away from Pre Diabetes and Type 2 - the outcome is that the NHS is now trialling MONITORED short term diets that are considered very low calories (800 per day) for two reasons. 1) They are testing the theory that to reverse these issues, fat around the internal organs, particularly the pancreas, needs to be lost (you can be fat or thin on the outside and have this) which enables it to balance insulin correctly again (so reversing T2). 2) There is some interest in this field in proving whether there is an increased risk of regaining the weight once lost. The original (small) Newcastle Diet trial monitored those on it for a few years after and it showed that the majority reverted to their previous diet but did not regain the weight or regain their diabetes diagnosis - this was because they were adjusting their portions down.

    Before the woo'ers get too excited, here's some reading which I think is pretty interesting even if you dont support the approach :

    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2018/12/diabetesdiettrialledbynhs/

    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46363869

    It would be useful I think if on MFP we did a poll for anyone regaining their lost weight to understand the approach they followed and whether we are more likely to regain if it was lost quickly. That still only makes it a data analysis and an assumed outcome, not a fact.

    I see lots of information quoted about the 'right' rate of weight loss - perhaps it might be time to revisit the context of this advice. Perhaps we should consider there is a more complex decision making process for some people....
This discussion has been closed.