The Medication Swap Rant

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
All my drugs changed, the side effects are killing me, doctors are useless, and I wish I could crawl in a hole in the ground. And throw an old school, small child temper tantrum. "It's not fair!!"

Maybe I'm losing weight but I'll never know. I look pregnant and haven't used the bathroom in a week and a half. And yes, I HAVE seen my doctor. He said keep trying the drug store stuff and check with him in a week. Ignored me when I pointed out the crippling pain. Beyond useless. Guess I'll wait a week and be told to wait another week.

-_-

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling bad. As far as your symptoms I see from your diary you consume a lot of dairy products. Have you tried eliminating them to see if this improves your symptoms?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Milk of Magnesia? I was backed up ..cramps etc. and I took that and it helped ...Hoping for the best for you
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    All my drugs changed, the side effects are killing me, doctors are useless, and I wish I could crawl in a hole in the ground. And throw an old school, small child temper tantrum. "It's not fair!!"

Maybe I'm losing weight but I'll never know. I look pregnant and haven't used the bathroom in a week and a half. And yes, I HAVE seen my doctor. He said keep trying the drug store stuff and check with him in a week. Ignored me when I pointed out the crippling pain. Beyond useless. Guess I'll wait a week and be told to wait another week.

-_-

I usually turn to Miralax when I'm really in a bind. It dissolves easily in water, isn't too terrible tasting and is usually pretty dependable/fast/gentle.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Go find another doctor

Do this.
  • Terytha
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Sorry you are feeling bad. As far as your symptoms I see from your diary you consume a lot of dairy products. Have you tried eliminating them to see if this improves your symptoms?

I really don't though. Just coffee and yogurt mostly. Before MFP I was drinking 3-5 glasses of milk a day and eating cheese as a snack. Cutting down my dairy seems to have partly caused this problem. The change in meds is the other cause.
    Go find another doctor

Not that easy. I'd have to find one who's accepting new patients, do the interview appointment thing, another physical, transfer records, etc.

I don't trust anyone in the medical industry after my abuse and assault, so I'd have to try and get over my fear all over again, and do the "my blood pressure is fine I'm just terrified of you" song and dance again. To which they universally get all defensive and offended about. "Not all doctors" apparently. :neutral:
  • Terytha
    Options

-_-

I usually turn to Miralax when I'm really in a bind. It dissolves easily in water, isn't too terrible tasting and is usually pretty dependable/fast/gentle.

That's what the doctor gave me. It's been two weeks. I appear to be immune.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Did you reduce your fat a lot overall when you reduced your dairy? That can also cause issues for some people.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

I really don't though. Just coffee and yogurt mostly. Before MFP I was drinking 3-5 glasses of milk a day and eating cheese as a snack. Cutting down my dairy seems to have partly caused this problem. The change in meds is the other cause.
    Go find another doctor

Not that easy. I'd have to find one who's accepting new patients, do the interview appointment thing, another physical, transfer records, etc.

I don't trust anyone in the medical industry after my abuse and assault, so I'd have to try and get over my fear all over again, and do the "my blood pressure is fine I'm just terrified of you" song and dance again. To which they universally get all defensive and offended about. "Not all doctors" apparently. :neutral:

I think I remember a thread where we yelled at someone who had chronic constipation for well over a month. If you can't take it anymore, there's always the emergency room. You would not be the first story I've heard of a doctor going "meh" and the person having to bypass them and go to the hospital. Sometimes you gotta take your health into your own hands. I know the expense is there if you're in the US so I'm not saying "go now!" but I'm definitely saying "it's a good choice if you're doctor isn't giving you other options".
  • Terytha
    Options

Go find another doctor

I think I remember a thread where we yelled at someone who had chronic constipation for well over a month. If you can't take it anymore, there's always the emergency room. You would not be the first story I've heard of a doctor going "meh" and the person having to bypass them and go to the hospital. Sometimes you gotta take your health into your own hands. I know the expense is there if you're in the US so I'm not saying "go now!" but I'm definitely saying "it's a good choice if you're doctor isn't giving you other options".

You ever spend 14 hours in a hospital? I have. I've also been told not to even try by paramedics.

You can yell at me if you like, but unlike other dude I'm not starving myself and I did seek medical help. I will seek it again in a week too.

My fear is that the only solution is either more drugs, or abandoning the ones I need to function. :(
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    What all have you tried? Knowing that might help people understand what we've tried that you haven't for helpful suggestions.

I often have to switch up what I use. Sometimes Colace works, sometimes exlax works, sometimes its prune juice. Even an extremely high dose of magnesium pills has worked to relieve my constipation in the past. What else....running has helped a couple times, miralax never helped, a flat white from Starbucks - or just a big coffee. I will let you know if I think of anything else. My constipation is also almost always driven by medication, and i'd had to get creative because doctors never take it seriously.
  • Terytha
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What all have you tried? Knowing that might help people understand what we've tried that you haven't for helpful suggestions.

I often have to switch up what I use. Sometimes Colace works, sometimes exlax works, sometimes its prune juice. Even an extremely high dose of magnesium pills has worked to relieve my constipation in the past. What else....running has helped a couple times, miralax never helped, a flat white from Starbucks - or just a big coffee. I will let you know if I think of anything else. My constipation is also almost always driven by medication, and i'd had to get creative because doctors never take it seriously.

I've tried all the stool softeners, less fiber, more fiber, yogurt, no coffee, more coffee, more water, tons of exercise, and greasy fast food.

What works: Ex-lax and prune juice. The juice is extremely effective, works within an hour.

The issue isn't that I can't go. It's that using either of these isn't an easy fix. It's the most mind rending, fierce, agonizing pain I've ever experienced. It hurt so bad I thought I'd die. I saw black spots and stars. I was soaked in sweat. My stomach muscles felt like they were tearing themselves apart. For over an hour.

I'd rather just not. Do that again. That kind of thing can apparently cause long term muscle weakness, and incontinence sounds less than fun.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

I've tried all the stool softeners, less fiber, more fiber, yogurt, no coffee, more coffee, more water, tons of exercise, and greasy fast food.

What works: Ex-lax and prune juice. The juice is extremely effective, works within an hour.

The issue isn't that I can't go. It's that using either of these isn't an easy fix. It's the most mind rending, fierce, agonizing pain I've ever experienced. It hurt so bad I thought I'd die. I saw black spots and stars. I was soaked in sweat. My stomach muscles felt like they were tearing themselves apart. For over an hour.

I'd rather just not. Do that again. That kind of thing can apparently cause long term muscle weakness, and incontinence sounds less than fun.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Can you go to a gastroenterologist? This appears to be something more than simple constipation; not to downplay how bad constipation can make one feel.