Lifting versus Total Body Conditioning classes for last 10 pounds?

Options
I am 26F, 5'7.5'', and 138 lbs. I have always been pretty active throughout my life (some track and field, running, weight lifting, yoga, fitness classes), but also overweight. In high school I reached about 135 lbs., but a several years after in 2017 shad made my way to 200 lbs. I have since lost 62 lbs. through CICO at a rate of about 0.8 lbs. per week.

I have weight lifted throughout losing weight and throughout the years, though not a specific program, just rotating upper and lower body when I go. I have taken a couple of classes in school on weight training and know what I'm doing to an extent. My workplace has a nice gym and I work out there on lunch breaks.

Recently, my work just started offering fitness Total Body Conditioning classes at lunch time which are really fun. I have been doing them in place of lifting for the last few weeks. They are 45 minutes long MWF.

I am wondering what will be better for my body. I love lifting and part of me would like to set myself up on a program and lift hard. However, I still have a good amount of fat to lose mainly in my mid section and am in a calorie deficit so I don't think I'll be making any gains until I'm done cutting fat and can bulk. I'm not really interested in recomp, at least until I lose some more fat.

The fitness classes are really challenging, I am pretty much the most fit person in there (I am not used to that) but you can adjust the exercises to your ability and they are hard. It is cardio and weights based (jumping jacks, high knees, burpees, jump tucks, various squats, lunges, push ups, many dumbell strength exercises).

I am not sure what will be best for me. Any thoughts?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The last 10 lbs requires meticulous food weighing and logging. Choosing one of these routines over the other isn't going to make a huge difference. Do what you enjoy!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The point of lifting while in a deficit isn't really gains (although in some cases this can happen especially to a new lifter or someone very overweight), one of the main reasons is to stimulate and maintain the muscle you have. If you don't properly stimulate the muscles you will lose them and may not have the definition or body composition you desire when you get to goal. If the total body conditioning you do allows for adequate muscle stimulation and overload (weights, reps, etc) over time, then it can work but by the sounds of what you described it sounds more like cardio.

How much more are you aiming to lose ? Nevermind you said 10lb in your title. Doh
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The last 10 lbs requires meticulous food weighing and logging. Choosing one of these routines over the other isn't going to make a huge difference. Do what you enjoy!
    I still want to maintain muscle as I lose... but I think the classes are good enough for stimulating muscle, I am always sore after! Plus they are really enjoyable and I love the coach and bonding with coworkers. I think I will stick to the classes :)
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    The point of lifting while in a deficit isn't really gains (although in some cases this can happen especially to a new lifter or someone very overweight), one of the main reasons is to stimulate and maintain the muscle you have. If you don't properly stimulate the muscles you will lose them and may not have the definition or body composition you desire when you get to goal. If the total body conditioning you do allows for adequate muscle stimulation and overload (weights, reps, etc) over time, then it can work but by the sounds of what you described it sounds more like cardio.

How much more are you aiming to lose ? Nevermind you said 10lb in your title. Doh

Thank you. I think I will stick to the classes, although part of it is cardio a lot are weights-based too and I lift as heavy as I can. I'm not sure how much I have to lose but I am guessing around 10, definitely still have fat around me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thank you. I think I will stick to the classes, although part of it is cardio a lot are weights-based too and I lift as heavy as I can. I'm not sure how much I have to lose but I am guessing around 10, definitely still have fat around me.

In the end you have to do what you enjoy, just be mindful of the limitations.

With your stats you might want to consider recomp sooner than later, but again that is up to you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You'll probably burn more calories doing the class... so if that helps you with your deficit, choose the class. You can always switch to or add heavy lifting later. You should always choose something you enjoy doing. No point in trying to stick with something you hate.