Will the last few pounds make a big difference ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'6". Started at 155 and am now 137 (working on 130). I am very predisposed to carry weight in my belly more than anywhere else and have always had a belly to some extent (even when I was nearly underweight in high school - I think that thread linked above about your organs needing somewhere to go is right on the money ;-)). I now also have c-section pooch on top of that. But all that said - the difference these 15 lbs or so I've lost so far made on my belly have been a huge difference. Went from pushing a size 12 in high-waisted pants down to a size 8. I also found for me the high-waisted pants actually help with the little belly I have left since now it is mostly the c-section flop and some love handles that I've got left - the higher-waisted pants kind of hold everything in and smooth it out instead of it flopping over the top of low-rise jeans. These are my faves right now, and they made me feel so motivated because I feel like I look really good in them: https://www.target.com/p/women-s-high-rise-skinny-jeans-universal-thread-153-dark-wash/-/A-53164377

Basically all that to say: 15 lbs will probably help some, especially if you carry your weight there, but also you can experiment with clothes styles to help find some that will make you feel more confident and attractive in your changing body.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am the same height and I can tell you from experience that 10 pounds makes a world of difference in the way that I look. I have lost about 1.2 pounds since the beginning of the month and can see (in pictures) how my sides are smoothing over. I currently weigh 141 pounds and still have love handles. Not sure if those will ever go away unless I really get down to some low numbers.. which at this point in my life I am not sure I am willing to work for. I just want to be healthy and happy.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Everyone has problem areas. Will 18 lbs make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. You might always have love handles, you might always have a bit of a stomach, you might not. Weight training and core strengthening will help. A lot settles in your stomach: stress, caffeine, alcohol, carbs, salt, sugar etc. so it's tough to eliminate all of it. Be patient (not your strong suit apparently) and see what happens.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    18 pounds is a significant amount of weight still to lose. You're still overweight now, and will be on the higher side of the BMI range even at your goal weight.

You may be surprised with what you see when you get to a normal weight. You may find that your goal weight still doesn't give you the form that you like because it's not lean enough to get a "flat" stomach.

What's your current body fat percentage? It's OK to be "happy" on the higher side of a normal BMI, but don't expect leanness if you aren't lower body fat, and you aren't actually lean.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    FondEthicalChital.gif

Hey folks - this thread has been cleaned up a bit. Please remember that we have community guidelines. If you haven't read them, or it's been a while, please take a look: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

It's Saturday. I think it might even be sunny and beautiful where I am, so I want us all to have a nice, warning free day if we can.

If you have a post that was removed and you don't understand why, please feel free to send me a PM (or any other moderator or staff member).

Cheers,
    Em
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    It might make a huge difference; and it might not. We are not gods, we cannot see into your future....