Lunch ideas for a type 2 diabetic

Options
I was just diagnosed as being a type 2 diabetic. I need some ideas on what to eat for lunch.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor get you an appointment with a registered dietician.? I think they are very helpful when trying to control diabetes.
  • Seminolefan22
    Seminolefan22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes not sure when I will going yet.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I find it impossible to give suggestions without a clue as to the type of food you like and what, if any, your approximate lunch calorie goal is. It would also be helpful to know if you plan to take food to an office where it can be reheated or not or if you will be eating it at home.
  • LaSebaya19
    LaSebaya19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed as being a type 2 diabetic. I need some ideas on what to eat for lunch.

HI, Am sorry you have DM type 2, I hope you do know that if you change you eating habit & excercise that it will al go away. You need to consume items that don't spike your insulin right away. Regarding liquids, Water is always yours best bet! Even those "SugarFree" adders or drinks are all a Scam. With food things such as Refined Carbs will turn into sugar into your body so will spike your insulin index. For Example: Oatmeal is Good BUT if you buy the one from the packs which has sugar, that's a no go.. If you add syrup, any kind of sweetners to it they will spike insulin. Even if you add fruits it will spike the insulin but in a different way. No matter how healthy an item is All of it needs to be in moderation.. only thing that won't cause weight Gain or any body issues is Water, lol.. Good Luck.. I know its not easy but it isn't impossible to change lifestyle either. Stay positive.. Don't lose hope.. Do research..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My lunch consists of a meat sandwich (with veggies like lettuce) on one slice of bread, yogurt, and fruit.

Typically it is around 300 calories with about 40 carbs. Breakfast is about 30 carbs and dinner is around 60 carbs. The other 30 grams of carbs I am allotted will be eaten in 2 snacks: mid afternoon and bedtime.

When I was first diagnosed, my doctor suggested not counting carbs until I met with the RD but starting to eat regular meals made with fresh ingredients (as opposed to pre-packaged meals) and minimize the carb heavy snacks like crackers, chips, etc. 3 meals and 2-3 snacks spread out over the day. Once I met with the RD, I had a better idea where I could cut the carbs (like using one slice of bread instead of 2) and increase the protein and overall nutrition.

Unless your A1c is really high, you have time to ease into a new eating style and starting with paying attention to when you eat and the nutritional quality of what you eat is a great start. You can get into the nuts and bolts of the diabetic diet after you receive more information.

As far as lunch ideas go, what do you normally eat for lunch? Can you still eat that but tweak it a bit to reduce the carbs?
  • Seminolefan22
    Options
    LaSebaya19 wrote: »

HI, Am sorry you have DM type 2, I hope you do know that if you change you eating habit & excercise that it will al go away. You need to consume items that don't spike your insulin right away. Regarding liquids, Water is always yours best bet! Even those "SugarFree" adders or drinks are all a Scam. With food things such as Refined Carbs will turn into sugar into your body so will spike your insulin index. For Example: Oatmeal is Good BUT if you buy the one from the packs which has sugar, that's a no go.. If you add syrup, any kind of sweetners to it they will spike insulin. Even if you add fruits it will spike the insulin but in a different way. No matter how healthy an item is All of it needs to be in moderation.. only thing that won't cause weight Gain or any body issues is Water, lol.. Good Luck.. I know its not easy but it isn't impossible to change lifestyle either. Stay positive.. Don't lose hope.. Do research..

Thank you so much. I drink water pretty much all the time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Add more low calorie veggies to your lunches: broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, romaine, green beans eggplant, tomatoes, mushrooms :)
  • Seminolefan22
    Options
    Thank you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My lunch consists of a meat sandwich (with veggies like lettuce) on one slice of bread, yogurt, and fruit.

Typically it is around 300 calories with about 40 carbs. Breakfast is about 30 carbs and dinner is around 60 carbs. The other 30 grams of carbs I am allotted will be eaten in 2 snacks: mid afternoon and bedtime.

When I was first diagnosed, my doctor suggested not counting carbs until I met with the RD but starting to eat regular meals made with fresh ingredients (as opposed to pre-packaged meals) and minimize the carb heavy snacks like crackers, chips, etc. 3 meals and 2-3 snacks spread out over the day. Once I met with the RD, I had a better idea where I could cut the carbs (like using one slice of bread instead of 2) and increase the protein and overall nutrition.

Unless your A1c is really high, you have time to ease into a new eating style and starting with paying attention to when you eat and the nutritional quality of what you eat is a great start. You can get into the nuts and bolts of the diabetic diet after you receive more information.

As far as lunch ideas go, what do you normally eat for lunch? Can you still eat that but tweak it a bit to reduce the carbs?

I used to eat a lot of fast food and sandwiches for lunch. My sugar is in the 300s right now. But on Tuesday it was 650. I will be going to diabetes education classes soon.

Sounds like you need to start NOW. Go to the Amarican Diabetes Association website "Food and Fitness" tab. There is a lot of good starter information there including meal ideas. diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My Dad has to avoid potatoes starch foods. Keep hard candy on hand if his drops he grabs it but usually he’s very high.

http://main.diabetes.org/dorg/PDFs/awareness-programs/hhm/what_can_i_eat-best_foods-American_Diabetes_Association.pdf

https://www.rightathome.net/-/media/images/franchises/nova/diabetic-grocery-list.ashx?la=en

https://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com/preview/Type_2_Diabetes_Grocery_List
    ^ this one even has lists for gout to other diseases is perfect for holidays when relatives come have special diets too. I use it for my whole family’s health issues.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options

I used to eat a lot of fast food and sandwiches for lunch. My sugar is in the 300s right now. But on Tuesday it was 650. I will be going to diabetes education classes soon.

Wow, that's pretty high! Are you going to start meds for your diabetes? My blood sugar is usually between 80 and 90.

I usually have a big salad with lots of vegetables and tuna or chicken for lunch. I mostly do low carb meals with a protein and half a plate of veggies, and Greek yogurt with berries. I'm boring and tend to eat the same things aside of dinner.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with boring if it tastes good fills you up
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    So much depends on your preferences. Are you home for lunch or packing a lunch for work? I cook in batches and usually eat the same thing for lunch as for dinner. My favorite is 'hamburger fajitas'. Hamburger (or chicken), green and red pepper strips, onions, chopped tomatoes, spices. Serve with whole wheat or corn tortillas (or on lettuce if doing low-carb). Fits within my guidelines my dietitian and I set together. Easy for me as I hate cooking. My recommendation is to see a dietitian ASAP. While waiting for the next class to start, I would ask to see a dietitian one-on-one. A lot of Type 2 diabetics do low-carb. I don't do 'low-carb' per se, but am lowering my carbs until they fit my recommended blood glucose numbers. Recommend checking your blood glucose several times a day to start, even if you have to pay out of pocket for using extra test strips. Note your carbs consumed and blood glucose. My dietitian recommended 30 to 60 grams of carbs per meal. Through monitoring my blood glucose AND my carbs, I learned 60 grams per meal was too much for me, so I am now at 30 to 40 grams of carbs per meal and 15 grams of carbs for any snacks, and may need to go just a bit lower. But important to remember; everyone is different. I had to give up fast food and processed food as my blood pressure is also too high, so I am trying to stay under 1,700 mg of sodium daily. I was over 4,000! Recommend reading and research. My dietitian put together a great handout. I also read the American Diabetes Association website; that will give you more info and ideas. Also, look under MFP groups and there is a group for Type 2 Diabetics. I just joined that group a few days ago. They also list on-line resources to read and research. I have been diabetic for 5 years, but just started taking it seriously since April of this year. So, we are starting this journey together. I wish you well.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    To find a Diabetes support group: Click on "Community". Go up to bar and click on "Groups". In search menu type in "Diabetes" to see a list of support groups. I joined the "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group" as it had the most members. Hope this helps!
  • Seminolefan22
    Options

Sounds like you need to start NOW. Go to the Amarican Diabetes Association website "Food and Fitness" tab. There is a lot of good starter information there including meal ideas. diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/

Thank you so much. I'll definitely use that.
  • Seminolefan22
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

Wow, that's pretty high! Are you going to start meds for your diabetes? My blood sugar is usually between 80 and 90.

I usually have a big salad with lots of vegetables and tuna or chicken for lunch. I mostly do low carb meals with a protein and half a plate of veggies, and Greek yogurt with berries. I'm boring and tend to eat the same things aside of dinner.

I'm on meds now
  • Seminolefan22
    Options
    pjshawley wrote: »
    So much depends on your preferences. Are you home for lunch or packing a lunch for work? I cook in batches and usually eat the same thing for lunch as for dinner. My favorite is 'hamburger fajitas'. Hamburger (or chicken), green and red pepper strips, onions, chopped tomatoes, spices. Serve with whole wheat or corn tortillas (or on lettuce if doing low-carb). Fits within my guidelines my dietitian and I set together. Easy for me as I hate cooking. My recommendation is to see a dietitian ASAP. While waiting for the next class to start, I would ask to see a dietitian one-on-one. A lot of Type 2 diabetics do low-carb. I don't do 'low-carb' per se, but am lowering my carbs until they fit my recommended blood glucose numbers. Recommend checking your blood glucose several times a day to start, even if you have to pay out of pocket for using extra test strips. Note your carbs consumed and blood glucose. My dietitian recommended 30 to 60 grams of carbs per meal. Through monitoring my blood glucose AND my carbs, I learned 60 grams per meal was too much for me, so I am now at 30 to 40 grams of carbs per meal and 15 grams of carbs for any snacks, and may need to go just a bit lower. But important to remember; everyone is different. I had to give up fast food and processed food as my blood pressure is also too high, so I am trying to stay under 1,700 mg of sodium daily. I was over 4,000! Recommend reading and research. My dietitian put together a great handout. I also read the American Diabetes Association website; that will give you more info and ideas. Also, look under MFP groups and there is a group for Type 2 Diabetics. I just joined that group a few days ago. They also list on-line resources to read and research. I have been diabetic for 5 years, but just started taking it seriously since April of this year. So, we are starting this journey together. I wish you well.

I stay at home so now I am eating here at home. I love to cook and experiment with new recipes. I just ordered some diabetic cookbooks. Thank you so much for all the information.