Does anyone else "ration" their food?

Options
I only do this when I am at work, mind you. At home I do not struggle at all and sometimes I have to actually remind myself to eat because I will forget. But working a 12-16 hour shift, sometimes I struggle not to snack or am tempted to eat myself sick on whatever treats are brought in.

This might sound weird, but I will literally make a list of everything that I have planned to eat for the day and time it out. So, next to the food item, I'll put whatever time I can eat that. I space everything out so that I am eating every 3-4 hours. Otherwise, I'll eat it all within the first half of my shift, and then find myself starving by the end of it and wanting to eat everything in sight.

I find its helpful for me because then if someone brings in donuts, its easier to tell myself no because, "You've only got another hour before you can eat XXXXX."

Replies

• mushie99
    mushie99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all. That's a good idea.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have to do this at work too. You're not weird. I'd blow all my "day calories" before 10am if I didn't stick to my schedule!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I'm snacky/hungry at work, I'll make myself wait until a certain time. I'll tell myself "You can eat that at 10:00" when it's 9:03, for example. Sometimes I get busy and distracted. Sometimes I'm watching the clock like a hawk. :laugh:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I eat pretty much by a schedule. Meals and snacks. It has worked great. Unlike the conventional wisdom, depending on scheduling, sometimes I eat to avoid being hungry later.

When I first started, I ate an apple every morning at 11 am. Kept me from charging out the door at lunch to the nearest fast food.

The other thing I find helpful is the power of delay. I’m not saying no to that 1/2 of Hershey Dark Chocolate Bar. (Planned and counted) I’m waiting until 4 pm snack time. Knowing I’m getting a yummy treat later keeps me away from other unplanned eating. It’s just a matter of delay. I don’t have to have an existential crisis over it.

And by sticking to my plan, I get the other half tomorrow. Win Win.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat by a schedule too. I usually eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, so the routine of making meals has become a habit. I also tend to pre-log my meals and eat every few hours. I leave room for a midday snack and ice cream after dinner.

I think it's smart to leave room for something to eat if you end up hungry at the end of work. It'll prevent you from making bad choices if you're really hungry.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

and ice cream after dinner.

This.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yep. I also make my breakfast/lunch/snacks as tiny as I can so I can have a bigger dinner. I feel better if dinner is a big meal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    I also eat according to a schedule, and I prelog it all so I know what I'm eating will fit ... and whether or not I can add a bit.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    I've begun doing this actually. I try to keep some padding in my budget too, for unforseen snacks. But, tomorrow for ex., I have my frozen diners, and I know I'm having a diet coke and some cookies. So I have them entereet already
  • SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm weird because eating at work actually makes me ravenous (I have a very boring desk job). So I don't bring any snacks with me. I have breakfast in the morning, which is usually something like a banana or eggs with toast, and then I fast all day until I get home at 5:30. My body is very used to this by now so it's not work to do it like it used to be and it keeps me in check. If there are treats in the office, I avoid them like the plague.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    my job is very active and i need to maintain proper blood sugar levels- which tend to crash when im going up and down stairs lifting heavy things- So yes i do this to, I make my lunch and i have to remind myself to eat this now and that later. Only struggle i have is some days are short some are very very long. So its very hard to plan properly for. Some days i work from 8 am till 7pm some days im only there until like 1. I tend to mentally plan once i get a general feel for how long ill be there, And make sure i have an extra emergency snack i hope not to need to eat incase it goes longer like a protein bar