Should I worry about form using barbie weights?

Hey everyone!

I'm into a healthy BMI now (YAY) and I'm focused more on my consistency in exercise than I am in tracking my calories (BAD girl, should be doing both).
Anyway, I'm farther into JM 30 Day Shred than I ever have been. I'm just about to complete Level 2. I could move on any day really...I'm doing extra because it is still a challenge.
My question is, how concerned about my form should I be? I'm only using 3 pound weights for most moves and 5 pounds for others.
My goal is to move more into strength training when I have completed this program. I don't know if I should start with NROLFW or Starting Strength or what. I've read so much in the (almost) two years I've been here yet I still don't know what to begin my lifting with.
In the meantime, however, am I hurting myself by not having perfect form when I perform the moves in my JM video? I'm not even sure my form is off, I'm just worried it is. Do I buy a bunch of mirrors and place them strategically in my basement?

p.s. The way my body is changing during level 2 is freaking awesome. My muscles look cool and I want more of them.

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Hey everyone!

I'm into a healthy BMI now (YAY) and I'm focused more on my consistency in exercise than I am in tracking my calories (BAD girl, should be doing both).
    Anyway, I'm farther into JM 30 Day Shred than I ever have been. I'm just about to complete Level 2. I could move on any day really...I'm doing extra because it is still a challenge.
    My question is, how concerned about my form should I be? I'm only using 3 pound weights for most moves and 5 pounds for others.
    My goal is to move more into strength training when I have completed this program. I don't know if I should start with NROLFW or Starting Strength or what. I've read so much in the (almost) two years I've been here yet I still don't know what to begin my lifting with.
    In the meantime, however, am I hurting myself by not having perfect form when I perform the moves in my JM video? I'm not even sure my form is off, I'm just worried it is. Do I buy a bunch of mirrors and place them strategically in my basement?

p.s. The way my body is changing during level 2 is freaking awesome. My muscles look cool and I want more of them.

You should always be concerned about your form. If you aren't using the right form, you're either not working the intended muscles, or worse.......you could set yourself up for injury. Even if you are just doing the movement with no weights, do the right form.

Without the right form, what's the point of doing the exercise?
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking really. I don't want to get into bad habits and train my body to move incorrectly. I don't want to hurt myself and hinder my progress when I've only just begun.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Yes.

Form first. as noted- even with NO weights- you should be doing it properly.

That changes as you get a little heavier- women are more likely to NOT move forward in weight based on sacrificing form for weight... where as men are more likely to move forward and sacrifice form for weight more quickly.

There must be a balance. As you get heavier and heavier- there is a point where you sometimes just gotta throw a little english on it and get it done.

But with "barbie" weights- this is not the time for that. Keep doing proper form- and if you can get some 5/s or 7.5's or 10's I would recommend that. :D
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Yes, pay attention to form. Don't obsess over it, but definitely pay attention to it. Good form with heavier weights begins with good form with light weights.