The ideal weight for YOUR body?

Options
I've come to realise... I may never figure out what my ideal weight should be/is.
I've lost over 50 lbs and I'd planned to lose another 10 - 15 but I'm not sure dropping these last few lbs is right for my body.
I'm stuck between... should I lose more or stay where I'm at and work more on body composition.
How do you know when you've reached the right weight for YOUR body?

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've come to realise... I may never figure out what my ideal weight should be/is.
    I've lost over 50 lbs and I'd planned to lose another 10 - 15 but I'm not sure dropping these last few lbs is right for my body.
    I'm stuck between... should I lose more or stay where I'm at and work more on body composition.

It's purely subjective and only you can decide what is right for you. The healthy range for my height is 110 lbs to 145. That's a huge range! I know that 110 would require too much effort to maintain, but anything over 130 makes me look chunky, so I settled on a range between 118 and 123. I look good at this weight and it's easy to maintain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as a universal ideal weight...that is why BMI is a range...it accounts for a variety of body types, muscle mass, frame size, etc.

Weight is just a number...personally I never cared about any particular number. I just wanted to not have a gut and no love handles. Lean enough to be healthy and look reasonably good hanging out around the pool...don't care about six packs and being super lean, etc.
  • kirstenvalentine
    kirstenvalentine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about my ideal weight either. I keep kissing but not crossing my next milestone, at which point I think it makes sense to get my bodyfat tested. I figure that looking at bodyfat percentage and total lbs of bodyfat, and lean body mass might give me numeric insight into how close or how far I am from standards of healthy, rather than my own harsh and twisted view of what I see in the mirror versus pasted across the internet and magazines as standards of what women should look like. If that test (and discussion with my healthcare provider) tells me that I actually AM healthy already and just THINK that I'm still carrying too much bodyfat, then it's my body image, not body, that needs further work. If that's the case, my plan is pivot from body composition-focused training/dieting to fitness-focused training and nutrition-focused eating, and start addressing my body image through one of two ways: (1) talk to a counselor, and/or (2) do a boudoir photoshoot with a professional photographer. I know it sounds like a crazy thing to do for a person who doesn't like how their body looks, but maybe I can see my body in a better light through someone else's lens.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i'm happy mentally with myself right now. but I want to see what toned at 125 looks like instead of skinny fat when i was in high school. So i'm going down a bit more
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I agree. After speaking with a few professionals I in the business, I undershot my weight. I am bulking now to gain some back. Not sure how much yet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight is the one I can maintain without suffering. Yeah, I probably could get down to 150 lbs (5'9) but I'd never get to have treats and I'd be miserable. Not worth it to me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My goal weight changes depending on my body composition and my goals. I do have a comfortable range I like to stay around.

It can take some experimenting with your own body to figure out if you want to lose more or recomp or gain etc. See how you feel then re-evaluate.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I thought I wanted my goal weight to be 112lbs- 115lbs (I’m short) until I reached 123lbs- looks fire. I thought 123lbs would look to big still but it’s all in the right places.