Is there such thing as low calorie chili?! Lol

Options
wagnerchristina99
wagnerchristina99 Posts: 33 Member
I made a pretty simple chili yesterday and i put the ingredients into MFP and also measured how many cups I had of it once it was cooked. I had 5 cups of chili so I put that it serves 5, 1 cup per serving. And that one little cup was 353 calories. Add a serving of rice and it really adds up. There was no room in my calorie allowance for some cheese on top or a dab of sour cream. And I was pretty hungry by the time it was ready so one cup wasn’t really that satisfying.
I already use ground turkey instead of beef, and I’ve also tried having my chili over small red potatoes (they’re quite small and only 20 calories) instead of white rice (160 calories for 1/4 cup). I also use seasonings such as chili powder and ranch powder (it’s good though) which have 0 calories. Any tips/recipes on making chili less calorie expensive?

Replies

• RunJosh86
    RunJosh86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How lean is the ground turkey you're using? If you are using 85/15, try going for 99/1.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Is minced chicken lower in calorie than minced turkey? The problem with chicken would be that it might be dry which means adding oil.

I make a chilli but always use mince, I like the fat whereas turkey or chicken wouldnt be fatty enough for me. I just add a load of veg (no beans, dont know if you used beans), no oil added to it as I used the fat from the meat.

Greedy old me split it into 2 and each serving was 433. I dont eat rice or potatoes so I had it on its own. It probably could have served 4 if I halved each of my rather large portions and had it with rice.

What was your recipe?

Mine was 400g of 5% mince, courgette, onion, mixed peppers, cumin, garlic, chilli powder (I make no claim that this is a 'chilli', its just what I called it), then one tin of chopped toms.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello! I don't know what you put in your chili but have you tried excluding the beans? I love beans but can't eat them due to bloating and stomach discomfort. Not including beans cuts the calories considerable. I've never eaten chili on top of rice or little potatoes...maybe a baked potato.

I use this recipe:
    https://www.laurafuentes.com/paleo-chili-recipe-all-meat-veggie/

If you add more veggies you can eat more chili for barely any additional calories. I usually add extra of all the veggies and drain the rinse the ground beef after cooking it.

10 oz of my chili recipe is like 250 calories. I usually weigh my finished chili and subtract out the cooking pot then enter the number of grams (example: 3000 grams) as the serving size and just weigh each portion as I eat it in grams. Do you use a food scale when preparing your meals?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    i use lentils in chili (and currie). lots of veggies. no oil. you can mix beef and lentils.

i also use cauliflower rice or nupasta type thing. luckily i never started adding things like sour cream ans cheese...a small portion of eitjer should be ok to work in. sadly low calorie often means choices. rice or cheese sorta thing.

my chilies and curries have always been high in taste low on cal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Support for more veggies (tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms) and liquid.

All I have to add is that a 20-calorie potato is pretty dang small. Like the size of a small "boiler" onion -- roughly an ounce (28 g.). You put one of those in a bowl and pour a cup of chili over it?

• nooboots
    Options
    In any case, is 350 cals considered as 'high calorie'.

Thats ok for a tea isnt it? Even with a bit of potato or rice.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I usually use turkey, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, diced green pepper, diced onion, diced sweet potato (or sweet potato puree), chicken stock or broth, chili seasoning, and water.
    I can't tell you exact ratios because I throw it together and figure out the calories anew every time, rather than following a recipe.
    But usually a full crockpot makes 12 servings (like 2 cup servings) and they aren't over 300 calories.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind that vegetarian quorn is highly processed, substituting one third of minced meat with quorn mince cuts calories and cost without affecting flavour or texture. Use minced turkey breast for meat. Substitute rice with raw cauliflower that has been blitzed into a rice texture in the food processor.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

I guess 350 calories could be considered high calorie if you are limiting yourself to only 1200 calories per day. Most people don't need to eat only 1200 to lose weight though.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Mine is a total meal and relatively low calorie. It is also low sodium and high potassium.

4 cloves Garlic
    1 (12 Oz) container Tomato Paste
    1/2 cup Chili Powder, Regular
    2 Tbl ground cumin
    3 tsp Oregano, dried
    2 Tbl Worchestershire Sauce (Original)
    550 g, Onion - Yellow, Raw
    236.00 g, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    216.00 g, Celery - Raw
    4 container (1 4/5 cups ea.), Tomatoes Petite Diced Low Sodium
    32 oz, Sirloin Tip Roast

Cut the roast into bite size pieces. Add all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low 8 hours. Adjust seasoning as desired.

Makes 8 servings (approx 2 cups each).

Obviously the vegetables will vary in weight and calories. This is what the edited recipe is from the last time I made it and each serving was 355 calories.

Nutrition:
    Total Fat 7 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 134 mg
    Potassium 602 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29 g
    Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Sugars 14 g
    Protein 36 g
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

my dinners are usually under 400. i'm on 1400/day and need snacks so lots of "smaller" meals calorise wise but big volume wise.

I think the OP meant that 350 for chili alone was hard because she wanted rice and cheese and sour cream in there too. which would add easily over 100 calories. heck rice alone is hard to do under 100 cals unless you keep it super super small portion.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/weight-watchers-slow-cooker-chili
    138 calories makes 12 servings weight watchers
  • nooboots
    Options
    Ok, what about if you have quinoa with it and forget the cheese and sour cream?
  • nooboots
    Options
    http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/weight-watchers-slow-cooker-chili
    138 calories makes 12 servings weight watchers

184g is a child's serving that wont fill up a hungry adult for their tea. Perhaps a small quick lunch.

Also they say in the recipe either beef or turkey, surely they are different in calories? But it only has one calorie calculation at the bottom.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Thankyou Nooboot was thinking of trying it guess it’s weight watchers puliin a fast one again should have known.They charge members for every pound they loose or gain. My Mom used to go in the 80’s when she was alive. Maybe brunch like you said I was liking the fact I have all the ingredients for this one on hand. Woke up feeling like using my new steamer for fish or pan fry some steak in olive oil. So hard to decide.
  • nooboots
    Options
    Well I suppose even if you doubled the serving size, to 360g per serving size, you're still only looking at 280 calories which if you had it as a meal on its own, is ok and a big enough to fill you up. But you would have to do your own calculations I think in order to check theirs is correct.
  • nooboots
    Options
    Ok, well I stand corrected, as I am so sad I put the recipe in the recipe thing on here and it came out about the same if you divide it into 12 servings and use lean mince. It would probably be less if you used minced turkey.

However I still maintain that unless those 12 people are children it wouldnt be enough so I think its more accurate to have it as serves 6
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    276 calories for 6 adult servings sounds good to me too. I would think turkey hamburgers or chunks too can’t picture any other meat not adding grease more calories but could be wrong. Guess lamb would be lean
  • nooboots
    Options
    Lamb is quite fatty. Which is why its my favourite meat.

Most people have a sweet tooth. I have a fat tooth.