Using science to argue your case

Options
Every day the MFP boards bring us a selection of threads from people claiming this food group is bad/that food group is wonderful. Every thread is then filled with a selection of arguments for and against the OPs initial supposition. Many will claim a variety of evidence or anecdotes in order to support their stance, though rarely will that evidence be produced or linked. On the odd occasion there is a link but the source is often a YouTube video or a blog post. This irritates me and I think you all can do better.

A quick search on Google or Google Scholar can bring you all sorts of information on how to critique medical scientific claims and research and how to use it to employ best practice. A lot of this is a bit wordy so here are some highlights from a Wikipedia article as it’s very good for simplifying language – although I wouldn’t necessarily use it to support a scientific argument as you will see (Tip:- I’ve referenced this article at the bottom so others can read it)

1. “Press releases, blogs, newsletters, advocacy and self-help publications, and other sources contain a wide range of biomedical information ranging from factual to fraudulent, with a high percentage being of low quality”

2. “The popular press is generally not a reliable source for scientific and medical information in articles. Most medical news articles fail to discuss important issues such as evidence quality,[11] costs, and risks versus benefits,[12] and news articles too often convey wrong or misleading information about health care.[13] Articles in newspapers and popular magazines generally lack the context to judge experimental results. They tend to overemphasize the certainty of any result, for instance, presenting a new and experimental treatment as "the cure" for a disease or an every-day substance as "the cause" of a disease. Newspapers and magazines may also publish articles about scientific results before those results have been published in a peer reviewed journal or reproduced by other experimenters. Such articles may be based uncritically on a press release, which can be a biased source even when issued by an academic medical center.[14] News articles also tend neither to report adequately on the scientific methodology and the experimental error, nor to express risk in meaningful terms. For Wikipedia's purposes, articles in the popular press are generally considered independent, primary sources.”

3. In-vitro studies and animal models serve a central role in biomedical research, and are invaluable in elucidating mechanistic pathways and generating hypotheses. However, in vitro and animal-model findings do not translate consistently into clinical effects in human beings. Where in vitro and animal-model data are cited on Wikipedia, it should be clear to the reader that the data are pre-clinical, and the article text should avoid stating or implying that the reported findings necessarily hold true in humans. The level of support for a hypothesis should be evident to the reader.
Use of small-scale, single studies make for weak evidence, and allow for easy cherry picking of data.

4. Scientific journals are the best place to find primary source articles about experiments, including medical studies. Every rigorous scientific journal is peer reviewed. Be careful of material published in a journal that lacks peer review or that reports material in a different field. (See: Martin Rimm.) Be careful of material published in disreputable journals or disreputable fields

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources_(medicine)

Ok so once you have found your peer reviewed study published in a respected scientific journal, how can you tell that the study gives you enough evidence to argue your case on an MFP thread? Medical scientific evidence is graded from 1 to 5, with level 1 evidence being the most robust. That’s not to say that level 1 evidence dating back 20 years is still relevant as science is constantly changing based on whats observed from current data. Any how what are these levels of evidence then? I’ve copied a table from the National Health and Medical Research Council from Australia, but it is standard terminology throughout the world.

In simple terms, one way of looking at levels of evidence is as follows (the higher the level, the better the quality; the lower, the greater the bias):
I. Strong evidence from at least one systematic review of multiple well-designed randomised controlled trials.
II. Strong evidence from at least one properly designed randomised controlled trial of appropriate size.
III. Evidence from well-designed trials such as pseudo-randomised or non-randomised trials, cohort studies, time series or matched case-controlled studies.
IV. Evidence from well-designed non-experimental studies from more than one centre or research group or from case reports.
V. Opinions of respected authorities, based on clinical evidence, descriptive studies or reports of expert committees.

There is a lot more too it than that of course, but all we are trying to do is to win an argument on a social media page about diet, so that should be enough to be going on with.

One final tip – avoid use of logical fallacies such as straw man arguments, ad-hominem, appeals to authority etc. Not only will you be shot down but you will look like a pillock.

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    PubMed is a good place to search for peer-reviewed research articles: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed . When attempting to use an article published in the popular press, it usually states the last name and university of the scientist who did the study somewhere in the article, and you can use this plus keywords look up the actual research paper. That step is important, because the results are almost always oversimplified in the popular press, and sometimes even say the opposite.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of crap in scientific journals too, and peer reviewed ones at that.

Quacks have their own journals with very convincing looking 'studies'.

Most studies in peer reviewed journals can't ever be repeated.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Listen to your own body, it's your best advicer and decide for yourself what's best for you!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Also, if people could just stop saying "Because science" as as answer that would be great :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Nice ernest post. Let's face it, most people don't even read the articles they reference.

Lumping together cohort studies is an unacceptable error - retrospective studies and the conclusions they draw are in general crap. They are the lowest denominator of questionnaire driven pap sold as science. They shouldn't be lumped together in your classification with prospective or trial series studies.

Because scientist.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Nice thread.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Also, if people could just stop saying "Because science" as as answer that would be great :)

Especially when they don't quote anything from their "because science" :laugh:
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of crap in scientific journals too, and peer reviewed ones at that.

Yes. The public at large doesn't seem to grasp exactly how messed up the peer review process can be.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Nice ernest post. Let's face it, most people don't even read the articles they reference.

Lumping together cohort studies is an unacceptable error - retrospective studies and the conclusions they draw are in general crap. They are the lowest denominator of questionnaire driven pap sold as science. They shouldn't be lumped together in your classification with prospective or trial series studies.

Because scientist.

You mean quickly skimming an abstract doesn't give you the full understanding of the study? Man, there goes 99.948% of all MFP arguments.

Also, I want to friend you solely on the basis of this post.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Yes. The public at large doesn't seem to grasp exactly how messed up the peer review process can be.

Yes, however at least if it's peer reviewed and confirmed independently you have a lot better idea if the information presented is valid. The larger problem is, most of the radical claims AREN'T SUPPORTED in any way shape or form by any science. They're based off blog posts that agree with what a person wants to believe, they never consider anything else could be right or if the science supports their argument... which is why you constantly see the common myths resurface here, don't eat late, gotta eat breakfast, more meals is better than fewer, "starvation mode", etc.
  • alisonlynn1976
    Options

False. If you don't believe in science, go ahead and go with personal anecdote or whatever. How else would you suggest that research findings be communicated?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    People respond with "Just science" because it becomes an effort to dig up studies 50 times a day for ignorant people.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    first port of call would be to google scholar the type of information you want, then secondly find the correct studies, mainly repeatable studies ( hopefully with double blind controls) then checking the sources and the reviews.

Many scientists would immediately disregard the OP as they used wikipedia, many scholars say wikipedia is unreliable.

So as we see from the posts written anything can be critiqued and anything can be disregarded, the main thing is to find what works and stick with it, that is what Ancel Keys did, he may have got it wrong several times, but in the end his hypothesis became proved, this is what science is all about, proving and disproving hypothesis and recreating studies to test them.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Yes, however at least if it's peer reviewed and confirmed independently you have a lot better idea if the information presented is valid. The larger problem is, most of the radical claims AREN'T SUPPORTED in any way shape or form by any science. They're based off blog posts that agree with what a person wants to believe, they never consider anything else could be right or if the science supports their argument... which is why you constantly see the common myths resurface here, don't eat late, gotta eat breakfast, more meals is better than fewer, "starvation mode", etc.

I see that about as frequently as I see people claiming things as absolute truth because there's been a couple studies done that agree with them. Or, rather, they've read the abstracts of a couple studies that agree with them, so they just roll with it, and immediately ignore any contradictory studies as garbage.

Or people basing conclusions on studies that marginally align with their thoughts, but don't go nearly as far as their conclusions would have you believe.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    People respond with "Just science" because it becomes an effort to dig up studies 50 times a day for ignorant people.

Or because they've been hit enough times for making completely unsupportable and untruthful claims that they decide to revert back to the, "well, if I say it frequently enough, people might begin to believe it" strategy.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Or because they've been hit enough times for making completely unsupportable and untruthful claims that they decide to revert back to the, "well, if I say it frequently enough, people might begin to believe it" strategy.

Nope. Just what I said was sufficient enough.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    So as we see from the posts written anything can be critiqued and anything can be disregarded, the main thing is to find what works and stick with it, that is what Ancel Keys did, he may have got it wrong several times, but in the end his hypothesis became proved, this is what science is all about, proving and disproving hypothesis and recreating studies to test them.

Ancel Keys is the guy that you use as an example of good science? Interesting.
  • alisonlynn1976
    Options
    Snark aside, I am a neuroscientist and I am genuinely curious why the general public does not trust science/peer review, and what you trust instead. It makes me sad to see that people basically think that my life's work is worthless.

Also, serious offer, if anyone on here wants help with reading and interpreting any particular research article, please PM me, I'm happy to help. Sometimes if you only read the abstract, that's not helpful. The most important sections are the methods and results.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    +1

Also, a lot of studies are crap. Correlation does not equal causation, etc...
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Snark aside, I am a neuroscientist and I am genuinely curious why the general public does not trust science/peer review, and what you trust instead. It makes me sad to see that people basically think that my life's work is worthless.
    Some areas of study have very strong scientific research, use the scientific method, actually rerun experiments to see if conclusions can be reproduced.... Diet has not really been like that. It's been what 50 years of 1. throw out butter and eat margarine and trans fats instead - followed by 'whoops' 2. Eggs are bad - followed by eggs are good, etc...

People do not trust diet science because we have gotten years of bad science or bad conclusion pushed on the public that did not work. That doesn't mean all science is bad.