Scan or label?

Options
Do you go with the scanned stats or what’s written on the label? Eg: there are some dark chocolate peanut protein bars I bought at Aldi — the label says 170 calories; scan it, and it says 180. I bought a cranberry walnut salad — the label says 180 calories; scan it and it says 210! The same has happened with Lean Cuisines... I know it’s “only” a difference of 10-30 calories but I’m trying to be as accurate as I can be and these days every calorie counts. For now, I’ve been going with the scan figuring it’s better to overestimate than underestimate... anybody else notice a difference? Which is accurate?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    Mostly just scan it here.

Small differences don't matter - I'm not a subscriber to the every calorie matters theory.

Overall averaging around the mark is good enough IMO.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Go with the package. Entries are user created and they could be outdated or just flat out wrong. Sometimes I'll scan something and get an entirely different food.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Label. Too many chances for the scan to get wrong info.

ETA: if you are eating pre-packaged meals like Lean Cuisine, make sure you weigh it also. The actual food weight can be as much as 20% higher than the package weight.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'd go with label too. Sometimes manufacturers update their label with formula changes, but the scan entry in MFP isn't updated yet.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    scan and find the entry that matches label. i guess if i didn't find one i'd create one but haven't had to do that. Then use weight (on scale) vs measuring cups or numbers of items.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all!
  • trobius
    trobius Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Package. I think MFP lets the first entry connected to a barcode be "the" barcode info for eternity. It annoys me because many people only enter the nutrients they track when they do that. And yes, I see lots of errors too. And on the other hand manufacturers are legally liable for what goes on their packages.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Label. MFP' database is user maintained, so the chances of it being incorrect are pretty good.