What to eat when craving bread?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree. Nothing wrong with pasta or breads but like many of you, it’s a trigger for me and a bite brings me back into thinking I need them. It’s easier after the first two or three weeks to just avoid them all together. I find cold steel cut oats cooked with raisins helps to combat my need for pasta or bread...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It depends on what you plan to do long term. Do you wish to completely stop eating bread for good? In that case, just grin and bear it for a while. Don't look for alternatives, it would only make you want the real thing more and delay the weaning process. Do you want to learn how to moderate it? Start small. Is there a type of bread you can moderate better? If yes, then start with that. If you have an issue with all kinds of bread, start with something that comes in individual servings. They sell small bagels individually here. If they do too where you live, you could just go, buy a single bagel and go home. Do it often enough and you should get used to it at some point. Setting rules like "only have bread when at friend X's house", for example, can also help. You would be less tempted to eat all of your friend's bread out of decency. If you want to develop control over a food, being scared of it only makes things worse. Having it under controlled conditions where you're more likely to follow through with your rules helps you feel more confident and relaxed around that food.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I can happily put away a lot of white bread, endless amounts of the stuff.
    Wholemeal, seeded, rye breads however, a lovely slice or two and that's me. Might be worth a try.

When trying to eat less of it, I like oatcakes. They perform a similar function, and I find them filling.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds are great for that, in my experience. How long have you gone without grains? I went without them for about two weeks just as an attempt to break through a plateau. When I started eating them again, I noticed they made me feel really gross. What I thought was just the feeling of normal digestion was actually grains triggering some kind of inflammation. After that, it was really easy to stay away from grains

I have noticed this. My joints really hurt and it was difficult get out of the chair. I thought it might be my imagination.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    This might sound really weird, and I agree, it's really weird, but if I eat 2-3 dill pickle spears it kills my cravings most of the time, not all the time....but a good portion of the time.