I’m a 70 year old diabetic

I am no longer using insulin because my blood sugars have dropped. I’m losing inches, but after 2 months I’m not losing weight. I’m considering a 3 day fast to move things along. Suggestions?

Replies

• ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    3 days? Whatever you decide to do, please talk to your doctor first. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I know I couldn't go 3 days and not eat. It sounds risky, to be honest.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,089 Member
    Not a good idea; please don't do it. :/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    As someone with blood sugar issues, you should not fast without a doctor's clearance at least.

If you haven't lost weight for 2 months, you are eating too many calories. Are you logging here, accurately and consistently? What is your height and weight and how many calories are you eating? Are you using a food scale?
  • mskatz1966
    mskatz1966 Posts: 36 Member
    I agree with those above 100%; consult a doctor; reduce calorie and carb input (below 100 carbs daily)possibly increase exercise moderately, especially resistance training and stop eating after 8 or earlier; nothing wrong or surpising about reaching a weight plateau; your body is adjusting to the lower weight. Congratulations on the removal of medicines; that's a huge accomplishent; your blood sugars are a better indicator of your health than your weight; don't obsess over weight--it takes care of itself if you are eating properly and avoiding all sugar, white flours, and high carb foods(bread, pasta, rice,etc.); blood pressure (high blood pressure) is another 15-20% risk factor in strokes and heart attacks. Try to get yours close to 120 systolic.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    How long have you been trying, how often do you weigh, and how long since you stopped losing?
    It’s not uncommon to lose a lot at first, then come to a standstill or even gain a little for a while, then start losing slowly again. It’s just the body saying “what the heck?” Then adjusting to the new way of eating.
    And as all of us oldies know, things slow down as we get older.
    I say celebrate the fact that you were able to stop insulin and keep doing what you’re doing. You’re obviously doing something right.
    Maybe add a little exercise slowly. Lift a few weights to build muscle. Muscle burns a little more calories than fat.