Why?

Options
I’m not entirely sure why I’m writing this - maybe there is someone out there who will understand - and help me understand.
I’ve been struggling with my weight for the last decade - going from 10lbs overweight to 40lbs overweight. I’m either all out obsessed with what I do (nothing that isn’t organic will make it past those lips) to then eating everything is sight.
I moan about it.
It bothers me.
I hate myself for failing.
Every Monday I start again.
The worst thing is, I KNOW what I should be eating and doing.
I’ve had my BMR and body composition tested.
I’ve seen a nutritionist - I’ve done a diploma in nutrition.
I’ve researched the most up to date scientific studies in the field of exercise and nutrition.
I’ve had my DNA analysed.
I’ve had my blood work done.
I’ve been to hypnotherapy.
I know to practice self compassion and mindfulness.
I know most of there is to know about this stuff.

So why the hell am I not doing it?! I’m an intelligent, educated person with a good job. Why, when it comes to my weight and being healthy, I’m a total failure?

Does anyone have an answer to this?

If you do, please reach out...

Replies

• sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I couldn't just read and run. Lots of us know what we "should" do, but putting it in practise for ourselves is often harder.

Sending 🤗🤗🤗 and I hope someone comes along soon who can offer some constructive words/help for you 💐
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    sefajane1 wrote: »
    I don't have an answer but I couldn't just read and run. Lots of us know what we "should" do, but putting it in practise for ourselves is often harder.

Sending 🤗🤗🤗 and I hope someone comes along soon who can offer some constructive words/help for you 💐

P. S.

You're not a failure, AT ALL 🤗
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Danp and @AlohaBeaches100 for you replies.
    I’ve done calorie counting in the past - but the older I get the less it seems to work. I’ll eat 1200 calories a day (my maintenance is 1500) and do some exercise to burn an additional 200-300, but I don’t see any results. I then get discouraged and quit all together 😔
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    3. You're being impatient. If your maintenance is 1500 calories then that suggests to me (since you haven't provided your details) that you have very little weight to lose. With so little weight to lose the progress will be slow, very slow, we're talking months not weeks to see any sort of progress slow.

There is definitely some of that - I’m 5’1 and need to lose around 20lbs. Progress is very slow, and I don’t really see it. I’ll lose a lb, then it comes back on and it takes a few days to lose it again. It makes me frustrated, as I focus so much energy on it but not seeing the results others are. I know everyone is different, and I know I shouldn’t set expectations, and I need to be patient. But it’s hard. So hard, in fact, that I can’t seem to be able to do it.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Alternating between orthorexia and binging is actually a pretty common pattern. By setting impossible goals, you give yourself permission to fail. Instead, set small goals and keep them.

Non-organic food doesn’t have any more calories. If you have a degree in nutrition you already know this. It’s not part of your weight loss effort, it’s a distraction.

Wise words. Maybe that’s the core of my problem. I have been setting myself up to fail - all or nothing, and all is always too much.

I will take your advice, small changes. If I don’t see the results I want, so be it - the time will pass anyway.
    Thank you - I appreciate it.